Fav rattle can paint.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get good results using the Rustoleum High Performance Enamels. It gives a nice smooth gloss finish, and waterslide decals adhere well. It does take a long time to fully cure, sometimes can be several days.

I have been curious to try the Krylon Acryli-Quik, but it is a lacquer. The last time I tried lacquer it was much more forgiving to apply, but even a gloss lacquer wasn’t very glossy.

All of my paint is in our attached garage.

That might be the issue. Not sure where you live, but temperature extremes will shorten the usable life of spray paint. I keep my stock of spray cans in our utility room, it's climate controlled.

I also preheat the cans by setting them in hot tap water for about 10 minutes prior to use. I've never had a can of Rustoleum fail to allow me to use all of it. For the most part I only use there "Automotive" line of spray paints.

Only issue I have had is the tips clogging a couple of times, but since then I keep the lids when I throw away the cans. Waste not, want not.

Favorite rattle can paint is Testor's, because it's made for modellers and it's really easy to get a nice looking finish. However, it's expensive so I usually settle for Rustoleum unless it's a really special rocket. I have had endless problems with Krylon running, clogging, and spiderwebbing so I have mostly quit using it unless there is no other choice in the color I want.

That might be the issue. Not sure where you live, but temperature extremes will shorten the usable life of spray paint.
I don't know what the affect of temperature is but I've noticed that I have more trouble with Rustoleum cans purchased in the past few years compared with cans of various other brands that are much older. I have cans that work that are 5 to 10 times as old as some of my cans that don't work.

I don't know what the affect of temperature is but I've noticed that I have more trouble with Rustoleum cans purchased in the past few years compared with cans of various other brands that are much older. I have cans that work that are 5 to 10 times as old as some of my cans that don't work.

I used Rusto "Camo" paint on my X-Wing Alpha. Bought that 08-2018. Used the rest of the can on my P-40 10-2022. That's 4 years.

Storing spray paint in an area where temp's freeze or get near freezing temp's. wreaks havoc on them. I learned that back when I kept spray cans in my unattached building prior to 2015.

I had similar experiences in the past couple of years with Rustoleum, where I never had problems in the past. I'v always stored paints in my shop, which is heated in the winter months to 60F. No such trouble with Dupli-Color.

Today I bought a can of gloss black from ACE hardware to complete a couple of builds I have in progress. I have an almost new can of %&()&* Rustoleum white that just barely sprays so I fizzed a little bit on a soft drink can, let it dry, then tested the black on it. It gave a smooth and glossy coat so I sprayed it on my rocket. Most of it worked OK but I had 2 fins painted with Rustoleum white that I was painting black. The ACE paint didn't cover real well, it had tiny little bubbles or fisheyes, whatever you call them. It will be good enough for now but after it dries a couple of weeks I'll sand it a bit and spray the fins again. The ACE paint sprays like they actually put some pressure in the can.

I prefer to use MTM, Montana, etc. Any of the higher end paints.

I have 100% given up on Rustoleum. Gave it one last shot with my Goblin with a BRAND new can and it is just garbage. Threw them all away so I wasn't ever tempted again. Going to have to sand the Rusty garbage on that rocket just to make it look right.

I prefer to use MTM, Montana, etc. Any of the higher end paints.

I have 100% given up on Rustoleum. Gave it one last shot with my Goblin with a BRAND new can and it is just garbage. Threw them all away so I wasn't ever tempted again. Going to have to sand the Rusty garbage on that rocket just to make it look right.
MTN and Montana are actually the same brand. I pretty much exclusively use it now with the exception of Rustoleum Black Night Metallic if I can ever find the stuff. That is the only Rustoleum paint I've used aside from the filler primer that I've never had an issue with. The ability to spray paint outside when it's below freezing is worth it and the color selection is only matched by an airbrush (and even then I think Montana wins). The color is rich and a can will go quite far compared to regular paints

MTN Hardcore is gloss and Montana White is Gloss. Hardcore is what I use for the most part. Sanded down the goblin last night and resprayed in that last night....SOOOoooo much better. Reminded myself that I bought the better paint for a reason and that I should have just kept going that way.

https://www.montana-cans.com/en/spr...hite-400ml-graffiti-paint/montana-white-400ml
https://www.sprayplanet.com/collect...Tb698w8ZBLhxU0tiF8V-ui2-5saLhyOBoCKJkQAvD_BwE
How's the finish of Montana WHITE paints? I know their Gold line results in a pebbled/egg shell finish.

A good even gloss coat, for sure not egg shell/matte. I would post a picture of the ones I have done but they all have a gloss clear coat over the decals so it really wouldn't show what they look like raw. Plus my painting skills are still not what I would consider "Show" worthy as I am still working on my mask techniques.

Just want to mention that the primary difference (advertised difference) between the Gold and Black lines is the pressure of the paint coming out of the can, not the finish.
I saw that on Montana's web page. I guess the high pressure stuff can be used when the temperature is quite cold. But a lot of users say the pressure is too high for them.

I was shopping Montana for a nice, deep orange, but was put off by the semi gloss (egg shell) finish. When I saw @Mightymango 's post, I hopped on the MTN Hardcore page and found gloss.

Is that wall texture paint?

It just as well be.

It may be worth noting—and this is just an observation from looking at Montana, MTN, Loop and other similar paint products on various websites from Blicks and Michaels, to MC Art and Machine Studio—the target market for these paints is 'artists' who paint everything from canvas murals, to brick walls and highway overpasses, to railroad freight cars. It's graffiti paint. I think these people care only about color, not finish.

At the same time, these brands have some really nice colors, and, if you stick to MTN Hardcore, a gloss finish, which the majority of rocket builders are looking for.

I'm going to give MTN Hardcore Orange a try, mainly because I can't find a similar color in other brands of spray enamel.

It just as well be.

It may be worth noting—and this is just an observation from looking at Montana, MTN, Loop and other similar paint products on various websites from Blicks and Michaels, to MC Art and Machine Studio—the target market for these paints is 'artists' who paint everything from canvas murals, to brick walls and highway overpasses, to railroad freight cars. It's graffiti paint. I think these people care only about color, not finish.

At the same time, these brands have some really nice colors, and, if you stick to MTN Hardcore, a gloss finish, which the majority of rocket builders are looking for.

I'm going to give MTN Hardcore Orange a try, mainly because I can't find a similar color in other brands of spray enamel.
Most of us who use Montana top coat with Max2K or equivalent, since the paint is NOT glossy or hard enough to endure the rigors of rocketry. the 2K lays on nicely, cures up hard and SUPER glossy, and makes for a nice, smooth finish. Probably not suited to the average rocketeer or most LP and many smaller MP projects.

Is that wall texture paint?
It's spray paint, not sure what you meant. The fluorescent colors don't have that texture, but the regular colors do. Gloss (or lack of) is very similar. I have a rocket with 29 flights with no touch ups except when I had to re attach a fin. Longevity is a priority for Artists who know their work will be outside with no protection from the elements, and durability isn't an issue with Loop paints. I use the fluorescent Loop paint on top of white primer as none of the other fluorescents I've tried are nearly as bright or easy to spot on the ground or in a tree.

Last edited:
Back