Fav rattle can paint.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Krylon Acryli-Quik for large cans

Tamiya and Model Master for small cans

Pretty much just use lacquer paints now

-Bob

Krylon enamel. Gray filler/primer to fill surface imperfections, followed by white primer, then gloss top coats. I've never had a problem. The only other paints I use are Duplicolor Adhesion Promoter for plastic parts (followed by Krylon primer and gloss), and Rustoleum High Temp for the inside of baffles and other parts exposed to direct ejection charge heat and flame.

Behr. Very smooth. Rustoleum 2x fails sometimes. Krylon does pretty good. But, Behr. It’s nice.

For gloss white: Krylon (Industrial) Acryli-Quik.
For primer: Duplicolor
For black: Tamiya
For Gloss Clear: Tamiya
For Gloss Sealer on Custom Decals: Krylon Color Max
For Matte Clear: Testors Dullcoat
For all else: A mix of Tamiya (preferred, but expensive), Montana White, ACE Premium Enamel, and Testors.

Last edited:
Rustloeum metallic. Dries quickly and looks great. Warm can in hot water for best spraying results.

I've been using standard Rustoleum and I have good luck with it when it works, but I have a high percentage of cans that crap out when they are still full. I have not had that happen with any other brand and I have an assortment of old cans from other brands in my garage.

In order due to quality not necessarily most often used.
- Duplicolor. Tons of colors, dries super fast, second color within hours, clear coat same day. Never had it react with any other paint. Never had it react with other Dupicolor paints regardless of how quickly I recoat or how long I wait. Only downside is that this paint doesn't like cold. You must paint it about 60F or it will have a white haze on the top. Can easily be polished out by hand in minutes.
- Tamiya. Great selection. Awesome finish. Stupid easy to use. Paint is very thin so multiple super light coats are needed to cover. Downside is the cost and the can size. If you're
painting small rockets then it's great. If you're painting a Super Big Bertha your wallet is going to hate you.
- Krylon- Tons of colors. It's sold everywhere. Cheap $3-$4.99 around me. Doesn't seem to be effected by age. I have 10 year old cans that work that spray and look as good a brand
new stuff. Just be sure to shake it for more than the 2 mins recommended. Downside is their Yellows are terrible.
- Ace Brand (would be number 3 if they had more colors). Quickly becoming my favorite general use spray paint. This stuff covers anything in one or two coats. Goes on thick so runs are almost non-existent so you can really lay on the last coat heavy for a super smooth finish. Dries to a super hard finish. Downside is they have a very limited number of colors and it takes forever to dry. Seriously, Paint it and come back tomorrow.
- Montana - Nice selection of colors. Good coverage. Expensive as no one around me sells it and I need to mail order.
- Behr - Just started using this one about a year ago. They have a few really nice metallic colors. Downside is their normal non-metallic colors are boring and very limited.
- Stuff I've had in my garage for 10 yrs.
- Stuff I found at a garage sale.
- Dollar store paint.
- Stuff I found in the trash
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
- rustoleum. Nothing positive to say. I use to love rustoleum paints. Would use their stuff in household projects, automotive, hobby etc. Never had an issue for 20+ years. About two or three years ago the problems started. Paints don't spray well, come out clumpy or thin. Other times paint doesn't cure. Had a rocket I painted and let sit for months and it was still tacky to the touch after 6 months. I don't even know how that is possible. Reacts with previously applied paints regardless of time left to cure. I've left projects sit for weeks before adding a second color and get reactions. I had issues where I sprayed a project, left it to cure for weeks then noticed some thin spots and went back to give it an additional coat with the same can of paint and had it react. AND don't even think about using their clear on anything including their own products.

Last edited:
So, all you Dupli-Color fans: what makes Dupli-Color so great? I have several car parts stores nearby, so availability shouldn't be a big issue...at least with respect to certain colors. But these cans of paint are expensive! What exactly am I getting for the extra money? I ask because I'm open to changing paints...

So, all you Dupli-Color fans: what makes Dupli-Color so great? I have several car parts stores nearby, so availability shouldn't be a big issue...at least with respect to certain colors. But these cans of paint are expensive! What exactly am I getting for the extra money? I ask because I'm open to changing paints...
It's lacquer, which is VERY forgiving of spray conditions, blends one coat to another, lays super flat, covers well, and dries quickly coat-to-coat with relatively no minimum or maximum recoat time. It's also easily repaired, if that becomes necessary. It also takes an enamel top coat or Max2K without bubbling or rashing or alligator skinning.

The down side to lacquers is that since the coats are thin, they show EVERY.LITTLE.THING. in surface prep, and it's soft. Unless you top coat it with a clear coat (enamel or 2K), it'll scratch easier than an enamel would.

If you're a spray gun or airbrush guy, managing lacquers is 100% easier than enamels.

I'm biased, but Hedrix offers custom spray paint in any color in any finish. It's a high quality fast drying acrylic enamel. You can find it at myperfectcolor.com (a sponsor of trf). Huge range of metallic/pearlescent spray paint colors, too.
even like this?
CkJ2yDR.jpg

It's lacquer, which is VERY forgiving of spray conditions, blends one coat to another, lays super flat, covers well, and dries quickly coat-to-coat with relatively no minimum or maximum recoat time. It's also easily repaired, if that becomes necessary. It also takes an enamel top coat or Max2K without bubbling or rashing or alligator skinning.

The down side to lacquers is that since the coats are thin, they show EVERY.LITTLE.THING. in surface prep, and it's soft. Unless you top coat it with a clear coat (enamel or 2K), it'll scratch easier than an enamel would.

If you're a spray gun or airbrush guy, managing lacquers is 100% easier than enamels.
How well do Dupli-Coloar lacquers interact with other paints and primers, like Krylon or Rustoleum?

Whatever brands color I like. Never had a problem with outcome no matter what brand I used. It is the user that determines the outcome in most cases. I know it's possible to get a can that "spits."
nose cone paint.jpg

How well do Dupli-Coloar lacquers interact with other paints and primers, like Krylon or Rustoleum?

I have sprayed Duplicolor over Krylon dozens if not hundreds of times without issue.

Hard to tell from the pic as this was taken on a cloudy day but this Super Neon XL is Duplicolor Metallic Purple over Krylon Baby Blue. Painted the entire rocket less nose cone Baby Bluw then masked off and painted the Purple.

23.jpg

This one is Duplicolor Chevy Hugger Orange over Krylon gloss white.

PDii 12.jpg

It's common practice to recommend to NOT use lacquer over enamel, however it's been done successfully, usually after a long cure time for the enamels.

I've never met a primer that I couldn't spray lacquer over with no issues.

As with anything paint, test on a scrap piece that's prepped exactly the same as your project.

It's common practice to recommend to NOT use lacquer over enamel, however it's been done successfully, usually after a long cure time for the enamels.

I've never met a primer that I couldn't spray lacquer over with no issues.

As with anything paint, test on a scrap piece that's prepped exactly the same as your project.
Thanks for your input. I will consider Dupli-Color for my next can of spray paint. Need to see exactly what colors are available at my local auto parts store, though.

Just stopped by 3 major auto parts chains. The Dupli-Color selection is underwhelming, to be honest. This is understandable given the color of most cars, but not even a basic blue or green? Geez...

But if I need a shade of white or black, I'm set!

Looks like I'm sticking with Rustoleum 2X, unless any of you feel U-Pol is a good brand of paint?

Back