Clear Coats

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Kemker

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Not entirely thrilled with the level of gloss I'm getting out of the Createx UVLS Clear High Gloss. So, I went on Amazon and put "Max2K" in the search bar. Came up with some options.

1) Aerosol 2-part (rattle-can)
2) 3:1 mix quart
3) DiamondFinish 1-part

I like the rattle-can idea, as it has the least amount of cleanup necessary for my equipment (activate, shoot, throw away). However, the other two have some advantages also, in that I can get more for my money and use only what's needed and not have to throw away a partially-used can just because I didn't need the whole thing.

Anybody have any experience with any of the three options?

I'll try to keep folks informed as to results, etc.

Good Afternoon John;

The first product listed is SprayMax 2K. There are a number of posts here in the forum regarding that product and the results achieved with it.

The biggest 'issue' with it is likely the need for proper PPE. That product contains isocyanates, which are harmful and can be absorbed by the body both through the respiratory tract as well as through the skin. Mask, goggles and suitable garments recommended.

Good Afternoon John;

The first product listed is SprayMax 2K. There are a number of posts here in the forum regarding that product and the results achieved with it.

The biggest 'issue' with it is likely the need for proper PPE. That product contains isocyanates, which are harmful and can be absorbed by the body both through the respiratory tract as well as through the skin. Mask, goggles and suitable garments recommended.
I'll likely avoid SprayMax 2K, then. I don't have a problem dealing with isocyanates when working with propellant, but it's not atomized and sprayed in the air, then.

I've sent off to KBS for SDS on their MAXX 2-part system as well as their DiamondFinish Clear 1-part system. We'll see how nasty those are before moving forward.

I've used the Max Clear a few times. Really good stuff but it's a "one and done" product. Once you activate it you get about 15 mins before it's unusable.

Also, you absolutely need to wear protective gear with that product. A respirator is mandatory and a good throw away set of coverall's is highly recommended. It's good stuff that works well but in my opinion it isn't worth the headache that goes along with using it.

The KBS Maxx works great if you have a spray gun and compressor but there are better products for the same money. If you have a compressor and a gun then get some quality automotive clear and go for it.

Personally I find that Duplicolor engine enamel clear is more durable than I'll ever need it to be for rockets, is super easy to spray, cut and buff if you choose to do so and it comes in a can and doesn't require you to be in a hazmat suit to spray it. I've never had Duplicolor react with anything I've clear coated. I've used it over every dollar store paint brand I can find as well as Krylon, Behr, Ace, Rustoleum, etc etc.

I've used the Max Clear a few times. Really good stuff but it's a "one and done" product. Once you activate it you get about 15 mins before it's unusable.

Also, you absolutely need to wear protective gear with that product. A respirator is mandatory and a good throw away set of coverall's is highly recommended. It's good stuff that works well but in my opinion it isn't worth the headache that goes along with using it.

The KBS Maxx works great if you have a spray gun and compressor but there are better products for the same money. If you have a compressor and a gun then get some quality automotive clear and go for it.

Personally I find that Duplicolor engine enamel clear is more durable than I'll ever need it to be for rockets, is super easy to spray, cut and buff if you choose to do so and it comes in a can and doesn't require you to be in a hazmat suit to spray it. I've never had Duplicolor react with anything I've clear coated. I've used it over every dollar store paint brand I can find as well as Krylon, Behr, Ace, Rustoleum, etc etc.
Something new to look into, which I definitely will. I like the lessened PPE requirements. (Still need PPE, but don't look forward to donning full Tyvek overalls and forced-air respirator just to clear coat.)

I've also used the Dupli-Color Clear Gloss Engine Enamel as my go-to finish. However, I have had it interact poorly with the Dupli-Color Color Shift paint. It went down great and set, but after about a week, it developed what looks like fracture lines.

Just be aware that any lacquer will be softer than an enamel, and an enamel will generally be softer than any of the 2 part catalyizing paints.

Anyone have experience using Spraymax clear over Rustoleum gloss color?

Back