Fav rattle can paint.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just stopped by 3 major auto parts chains. The Dupli-Color selection is underwhelming, to be honest. This is understandable given the color of most cars, but not even a basic blue or green? Geez...

But if I need a shade of white or black, I'm set!

Looks like I'm sticking with Rustoleum 2X, unless any of you feel U-Pol is a good brand of paint?

U-Pol is a great line of paint but it's on the upper end of the automotive refinishing. I've used their products bunch in the automotive world and have sprayed their Raptor liner a dozen or more times on projects. Really good stuff.

If you can get it locally then by all means buy and use it.

- Stuff I've had in my garage for 10 yrs.
- Stuff I found at a garage sale.
- Dollar store paint.
- Stuff I found in the trash
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
- rustoleum. Nothing positive to say... Paints don't spray well, come out clumpy or thin.
I agree about Rustoleum. My problems have been numerous cans that are relatively new, almost full, but won't spray anymore. I have a lot of very old cans of Krylon and some unknown brands and they all spray fine. I'm interested in trying Duplicolor and Ace, maybe even Walmart brand if I get desperate. At least I wouldn't be as sad if I have to throw away a nearly full can.
If I had more energy I would work on learning to spray cheap hobby acrylic. Or maybe I should find a source for cheap lacquer cans or bottles that I can spray. My father used to own an auto paint shop but I was young and didn't learn as much as I should have.

I like the Kustom Cans Paints line the best, but I use Rustoleum 2X occasionally since it gives average results for little money. Duplicolor is Second in line though. The trouble with the average $7 rattle can is that the pressure is fairly low from the factory, and those cheap one penny nozzles that they give you have fairly low performance atomization.

Last edited:
Rustloeum metallic. Dries quickly and looks great. Warm can in hot water for best spraying results.
+1 on the Rusto Stops Rust Metallics. At long as you don't lay them on too thick they go down smooth an glossy and beautiful. This is the blue metallic on the first rocket I ever rattle-canned, so I pretty much had no idea what I was doing (as opposed to now, where I still don't), no sanding or any post-work other than Future clear-coat.

1682427364730.png

After further review, I think I'm gonna try airbrushing. I already have several Tamiya acrylics from my plastic modeling days, as well as my compressor. All I need is an airbrush, which I can get for about $40 - that's the cost of about 6 cans of cheapo Rustoleum 2X paint.

I agree about Rustoleum. My problems have been numerous cans that are relatively new, almost full, but won't spray anymore. I have a lot of very old cans of Krylon and some unknown brands and they all spray fine. I'm interested in trying Duplicolor and Ace, maybe even Walmart brand if I get desperate. At least I wouldn't be as sad if I have to throw away a nearly full can.
If I had more energy I would work on learning to spray cheap hobby acrylic. Or maybe I should find a source for cheap lacquer cans or bottles that I can spray. My father used to own an auto paint shop but I was young and didn't learn as much as I should have.

Agreed. It seems like all of their issues started about 3 yrs ago. Before that it was a great product but in recent years it has gone downhill quickly. I no longer us any of their products.

I cleared all of the rustoleum products out of my shop about a year ago.

After further review, I think I'm gonna try airbrushing. I already have several Tamiya acrylics from my plastic modeling days, as well as my compressor. All I need is an airbrush, which I can get for about $40 - that's the cost of about 6 cans of cheapo Rustoleum 2X paint.
Buy the best that you can afford. It will pay off in the long run. One of mine has to be at least 20 years old.

Buy the best that you can afford. It will pay off in the long run. One of mine has to be at least 20 years old.
I'm looking at the Master G22 from Amazon.com. Depending on the accessories, I can get it anywhere from $30 to $43. If I end up using the airbrush a lot, then when this bites the dust, I'll go ahead and invest in a Paasche, Iwata or Badger airbrush.

I still have all 3 of the brands you suggest. Iwata the best of them.
Gravity feed better than siphon, dual action better than single action, the bigger the tip the wider the pattern. Some can do both gravity and siphon depending on the cup. Mine will take small gravity feed cups but I can put on a larger glass jar for siphon to do a much larger area without stopping to refill.

I still have all 3 of the brands you suggest. Iwata the best of them.
Gravity feed better than siphon, dual action better than single action, the bigger the tip the wider the pattern. Some can do both gravity and siphon depending on the cup. Mine will take small gravity feed cups but I can put on a larger glass jar for siphon to do a much larger area without stopping to refill.
The G22 is a dual action airbrush, but if I end up going all out later on, I'll consider a side feed, so I can use a gravity cup or a siphoned bottle for larger jobs (like a BT-60 rocket).

Best to go with the standard brands if you can (Iwata, Paasche) as you can get parts for them and also other needles and accessories. If you buy an off-brand, just figure you will toss it and buy another when something goes wrong and you need parts. As long as you approach it that way, you'll be fine. Being able to control paint flow, paint/air ratio and such give you alot of control that you don't have with a rattle can. And a whole range of paint choices as well.

Best to go with the standard brands if you can (Iwata, Paasche) as you can get parts for them and also other needles and accessories. If you buy an off-brand, just figure you will toss it and buy another when something goes wrong and you need parts. As long as you approach it that way, you'll be fine. Being able to control paint flow, paint/air ratio and such give you alot of control that you don't have with a rattle can. And a whole range of paint choices as well.
And don't forget nearly zero reliance on the weather for 'a decent day to paint'!

Looks like I'm going to order the Master G22 basic airbrush set from Amazon for $30 + tax. Based on the reviews from Youtube, it's an amazing airbrush for the price, especially for basic painting tasks (ie non-high detail work). It also looks like I already have all the fittings and parts, so it'll be a plug-and-play operation once it arrives.

Loop Writing Tools. Designed for Graffitti art, it dries in less than 20 minutes and the coverage is soo good you can skip Primer or a 2nd coat. Unfortunately it's not available in gloss but I've been able to do a Gloss clear coat on top with success. Made in Italy, not too expensive, easy to use and touch up. I like the Neon colors over a coat of white primer as they practically glow and make recovery very easy.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 12.08.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-25 at 12.08.48 PM.png
    78.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6066.jpg
    IMG_6066.jpg
    837.1 KB · Views: 0
Loop Writing Tools. Designed for Graffitti art, it dries in less than 20 minutes and the coverage is soo good you can skip Primer or a 2nd coat. Unfortunately it's not available in gloss but I've been able to do a Gloss clear coat on top with success. Made in Italy, not too expensive, easy to use and touch up. I like the Neon colors over a coat of white primer as they practically glow and make recovery very easy.
Wow , how do you pick one of the 12+ spray caps? I couldn't find any color charts on their website.

These guys are local but I have to make an appointment, they also do online sales. They even sell a variety of spray caps but the ones that come with the can are perfect for rockets. The have a Satin like finish and I've spotted 12 inch rockets lin a tree or on the ground 1/4 mile away. I only learned about them because a friend who's a Graffitti Artist gave me a can of Blue and Yellow after the Invasion of Ukraine started to paint my Puck Futin Rocket. I was shocked how well it worked.
https://catchwreckcreatives.com/collections/spray-paint

For the fans of Ace spray paint, I'm looking at this

https://airandspace.si.edu/collection-objects/rocket-flying-model-aerobee-hi/nasm_A19930855000
and thinking about this as a possible match

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/paint-and-supplies/spray-paint/hobby-spray-paint/17016
At least the oranges are reasonably close on my monitor. Anyone used that particular orange?

My can of Acryli-Quik orange is definitely too pumpkiny for that one. Would be great to match Estes colors on a Doorknob, though.

I need to buy a billboard and in big letters put "DO NOT BUY RUSTOLEUM SPRAY PAINT".

Well another one bites the dust. I'm finishing up a few models in progress and one of them needed a few red stripes and a couple of red fins. I have a can of Rustoleum red that is less than a year old, about half full, so I started spraying it today. Spraying the stripes went well as well as the first side of the first fin. I flipped it over and the can suddenly started barely spitting. I kept at it with the spitting and managed to get the sputters and spits to cover the entire fin, and the second fin. So I guess now that's another half a can down the drain. Today's temperatures in the mid 80s.

Several of my models need a bit of black to be finished and I have 2 almost new almost full cans of Rustoleum that won't spray. I've tried repressurizing them, I've tried mixing and matching nozzles from cans that do work, I've tried soaking the nozzles and the valves in acetone, no luck. I was thinking I would get some cheap paint from Ace but it is almost as expensive as the Rustoleum. Walmart paint is about half the price so I might try that. I have a few old cans of Walmart paint that someone gave me when they were cleaning out their garage, those cans still spray perfectly good but the glossy paint isn't very glossy. I think tomorrow I'll go get a can from Ace to try. I don't mind spending $6 for a can of paint if it will work and keep working. If I spray a few square inches of rocket fin and then the can stops working, that isn't ok with me.

That matches my experience with Rusto in recent years.

I am just buying Acryli-Quik from Zoro. Free shipping over $50 and they routinely provide 20-percent-off coupon codes that work on the paint. You just have to buy several cans at a time.

Hobbylinc for Tamiya sprays if smaller cans and more colors are your bag.

I need to buy a billboard and in big letters put "DO NOT BUY RUSTOLEUM SPRAY PAINT".

Well another one bites the dust. I'm finishing up a few models in progress and one of them needed a few red stripes and a couple of red fins. I have a can of Rustoleum red that is less than a year old, about half full, so I started spraying it today. Spraying the stripes went well as well as the first side of the first fin. I flipped it over and the can suddenly started barely spitting. I kept at it with the spitting and managed to get the sputters and spits to cover the entire fin, and the second fin. So I guess now that's another half a can down the drain. Today's temperatures in the mid 80s.

Several of my models need a bit of black to be finished and I have 2 almost new almost full cans of Rustoleum that won't spray. I've tried repressurizing them, I've tried mixing and matching nozzles from cans that do work, I've tried soaking the nozzles and the valves in acetone, no luck. I was thinking I would get some cheap paint from Ace but it is almost as expensive as the Rustoleum. Walmart paint is about half the price so I might try that. I have a few old cans of Walmart paint that someone gave me when they were cleaning out their garage, those cans still spray perfectly good but the glossy paint isn't very glossy. I think tomorrow I'll go get a can from Ace to try. I don't mind spending $6 for a can of paint if it will work and keep working. If I spray a few square inches of rocket fin and then the can stops working, that isn't ok with me.
Where do you store your cans of paint.... and how do you store your cans of paint?

What type of Rustoleum paint are you using?

There's got to be a reason why you have so many issues with Rustoleum.... and I don't.

Where do you store your cans of paint.... and how do you store your cans of paint?

What type of Rustoleum paint are you using?

There's got to be a reason why you have so many issues with Rustoleum.... and I don't.
I buy whatever kind they sell in Lowes. Recently I've bought a couple of cans of white sandable primer, 1 can of gray automotive primer, 2 cans of gloss white, 2 cans of gloss black, one red, one yellow, one pink. Out of those 10 cans, 3 may still work.

I buy whatever kind they sell in Lowes. Recently I've bought a couple of cans of white sandable primer, 1 can of gray automotive primer, 2 cans of gloss white, 2 cans of gloss black, one red, one yellow, one pink. Out of those 10 cans, 3 may still work.

Last edited:
Back