Estes Strikes Again! STARLIGHT!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I think your head needs to be checked if you paid the $40 asking price when you could build one for under $10.
Some people just want the convenience of buying kits, period.

I do generally agree that $40 is a bit (!) "out there" for a small kit like this, with no unique parts and no decals. Compare with the Super Orbital Transport at $50, it's bonkers.

Some people just want the convenience of buying kits, period.

I do generally agree that $40 is a bit (!) "out there" for a small kit like this, with no unique parts and no decals. Compare with the Super Orbital Transport at $50, it's bonkers.
It is, but it will sell on eBay for $100 in a year.

And........sold out again.
Maybe for good?
Hmmm, but so many people keep saying it is overpriced and easy to clone........Go figure, I ordered 2 when Estes sent me the email and I am happy with my purchase.

Here's my question: What idiot is going to pay $100 for a Starlight? Unless you have more money than brains, I suspect that the "scalpers" are going to be sitting on a pile of rockets that at the end of the day, if you're willing to wait 2 months, may sell on eBay for under retail.
The same idiots who pay $100 for a Starlight are the same who are paying $3-500 for a MDRM. At the end of the day, it is literally a box of cardboard and wood with a pretty picture on the packaging....

I didn’t order one, but came back from lunch to find this at my desk!

4D752252-1264-4780-894D-C3B08926EB49.jpeg

My brother dropped it off while I was out. I thought he still had our old one, but he said nope. :(

This reissue is a fair amount bigger than the original.

(Edit: it’s not bigger than the original, I must have shrunk.)

Last edited:
I didn’t order one, but came back from lunch to find this at my desk!

View attachment 614655

My brother dropped it off while I was out. I thought he still had our old one, but he said nope. :(

This reissue is a fair amount bigger than the original.
Really? The main body tube, as I recall, was a BT-50. This is bigger? I anxiously await a comparison!

I noticed in a few places 1 of 300 has been mentioned.
Is that really how many were produced?
If so much lower number than I thought.

It may be overpriced, but I couldn't resist. Damn it's good looking. I papered the lower part of the big fins, and --- heaven forbid --- I put on epoxy fillets. I weighed it on a milligram scale before and after the epoxy, the glue only added 3.2g (less than 1/8oz). So I'm OK with that. What with the paper, etc., it came in a bit heavy at 2.9oz. But should still fly OK.

Hans.

Starlight .jpg

It may be overpriced, but I couldn't resist. Damn it's good looking. I papered the lower part of the big fins, and --- heaven forbid --- I put on epoxy fillets. I weighed it on a milligram scale before and after the epoxy, the glue only added 3.2g (less than 1/8oz). So I'm OK with that. What with the paper, etc., it came in a bit heavy at 2.9oz. But should still fly OK.

Hans.

View attachment 625908
That's a beauty. :clapping:

It's questionable how that saves money. How much is shipping? And then how much is the cost ***and shipping*** on tubes and nose cones? And how much is your time worth going through all this monkey business?

You might save a bit in the end, but life is short and I'd rather spend time on my build pile and not on scouring the internet trying to find some cheap parts.

Hans.

Edit: I see that eRockets has some tubes and nose cones, although it's tough to know if the cone is correct. Probably close enough. So that helps a bunch with shipping if it all comes from the same source. But of course that's just the beginning. You need a motor mount, centering rings, and parachute.

Last edited:
It's questionable how that saves money. How much is shipping? And then how much is the cost ***and shipping*** on tubes and nose cones? And how much is your time worth going through all this monkey business?

You might save a bit in the end, but life is short and I'd rather spend time on my build pile and not on scouring the internet trying to find some cheap parts.

Hans.

Edit: I see that eRockets has some tubes and nose cones, although it's tough to know if the cone is correct. Probably close enough. So that helps a bunch with shipping if it all comes from the same source. But of course that's just the beginning. You need a motor mount, centering rings, and parachute.

Here ya go. Everything one place. $25.10 shipped to my door.

https://www.erockets.biz/semroc-balsa-nose-cone-bt-50-4-4-ogive-sem-bnc-50y/
https://www.erockets.biz/semroc-body-tube-bt-50-12-7-long-sem-bt-50l/
https://www.erockets.biz/semroc-body-tube-bt-70-0-688-long-sem-rt-70/
https://www.erockets.biz/semroc-laser-cut-fins-starlight-3-32-and-1-16-balsa-estes-k-32-sem-fv-21/

https://www.erockets.biz/semroc-engine-adapter-kit-18mm-to-24mm-sem-em-20-50/
I'll agree that someone new to rockets might not have things like motor mounts, shock cords and parachutes laying around but they will after being in this hobby for a month. I'm sure you have a huge pile sitting somewhere like the rest of us.

Best part is not supporting Estes when they try to sell you $20 worth of parts (retail) for double.

Back