Guess for new rockets in the Estes 2024 Catalog

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
We only have a few months left in this year. It will soon be another year and hopefully another batch of rockets. What kits do you think on the horizon?

My guess is a new 3 inch PSII. I would like to see a Nike Smoke, but it probably be something else. Astron Scout? Mosquito? Alpha?

Last edited:
How about a two-stage Pro-Series II with 7x24mm motor mount in the booster and scissor-wing glide recovery in the sustainer?

Seriously, how is anyone supposed to have the slightest idea what new kits they'll be introducing?

Mostly low-power. Astron Alpha. Apogee II (leaving off Astron, should be apparent.) Sprint. Upscale X-Not_Ray (no transparent payload). Upscale/lengthened Big Daddy. Upscale SPEV. Yes, I know, it's a bit strange, but the more I look at it the more I think it could have been reality. A Bob Truax BDM (Big Dumb Booster) followed by one or two upperstages for distributing payloads. Just having fun.

I think we are close enough to another year and another batch of rockets. Your guess is as good as mine on which rockets are coming out in the 2024 catalog.

I will guess we will see a new Pro upscale.
We know John Langford is a fan of scale sounding rockets, so perhaps we'll get another next year. Not familiar with what other sort of rockets he favors, but there might be fodder for predictions there too, for those who do know. The only thing I'm nearly certain of is that we'll see more RTF models.

What I'd like to see would be a return to cluster rockets, a 3" Photon Disruptor, a two-stage Doorknob (might be possible as 3", might need to be BT-80), more spare parts (unlikely, but a man can dream, can't he?), and on the motor front, a C5-0 and the long-pending high-thrust 24mm E, preferably available in -0.

Thank for the proof reading. One more example why I should try and drive (ride actually)

ZmSVXkP.jpg

Wasn't Estes supposed to re-release the Mercury Atlas? That's all I have right now. It would be nice if they would offer 1/100 Master Series kit versions of their RTF models, specifically the SLS/Artemis and Space Shuttle.
Those would be nice additions.

Seriously, how is anyone supposed to have the slightest idea what new kits they'll be introducing?
Actually, there's a way to figure it out. Go through their existing supply of bits and pieces, and see what can be cobbled together from supply. For example, we know they have the SBB nosecone and BT-80 tube, but are not currently selling the "Fat Boy", so that's a guess right there of a kit they can re-introduce, but this time around I'd like to say that they'll make it with a 24mm motor mount (as almost everyone mods their FB to 24mm anyhow).

They have 3" tube, they make a DBRM, Doorknob, Great Goblin, and Big Daddy. With these pieces, they could make their own 29mm "Citation Patriot" upscale, as that's a popular mod from the DBRM stock. But it will have to be "built up" balsa fins. but can use the same cardstock centering rings as DBRM. If they are serious about selling more F15 motors, you need a few more kits like that.

Those are my first two guesses -- but I'll thumb through the catalog next chance I get and see what's ripe based on their parts supply.

Realistically, I think we are going to see a few more PSII kits make a return. Probably going to see more stuff that uses the 3" der red max cone so maybe a Patriot and (fingers crossed) upscale Nasa Pegasus. I'd really like to see a the Nike Smoke return in 3 or 4 inch. Some upscales of the classics like the Sizzler 1906, Yankee, Wizard etc. would be welcomed.

A 29mm Citation Patriot would be great.. especially since Galactic Manufacturing closed.

There used to be somebody on eBay selling upscaled 1906 Sizzler kits. I need to go back and check if they're still available - that was always one of my favorites as a kid.

But to be fair.... there's really nothing "special" about the Viking, except that they encourage you to glue on the fins any way you like. But you could do that with half the Estes kits in the catalog. You could do it with a Red Max. I glued on the fins wrong on my High Flyer XL, but that's OK, still flies great. But they do provide 5 fins and your choice is 3-5 in any configuration. My motto at this point is "never build stock" -- I'm now given to making each rocket uniquely my own by making many modifications.

One conspicuous absence is glide recovery. John commented that those sell slowly but they may decide to do another run if they’re low on Gryphon leftovers. Whether something like that happens in 2024 is beyond my confidence to say.

I also notice that they don’t currently offer something for which the C11-7 is recommended. That’s not a super common motor but a high-performance, possibly minimum-diameter (BT-50) rocket could take it. A two-stager using the So Long body tube might be doable too.

I would also love to see more spare parts for sale, especially decal sheets and conical transitions.

There are some classic kits I'd love to see on the list but probably won't...🥺 Something like the Astron Sprint XL, maybe the X-ray and would love to see an "E.A.C. Viper XL". While those designs are easy enough to scratch built, it's always nice to get all the parts in one box. I've probably even got all the parts to build them but would spend more time finding the parts than building the rockets! 😆

Oh, and of course, the Gemini Titan II...😏

Realistically, I think we are going to see a few more PSII kits make a return. Probably going to see more stuff that uses the 3" der red max cone so maybe a Patriot and (fingers crossed) upscale Nasa Pegasus. I'd really like to see a the Nike Smoke return in 3 or 4 inch. Some upscales of the classics like the Sizzler 1906, Yankee, Wizard etc. would be welcomed.
Upscale NASA Pegasus…. My kind of rocket!

Attachments

• IMG_8999.jpeg
    IMG_8999.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
But to be fair.... there's really nothing "special" about the Viking, except that they encourage you to glue on the fins any way you like.
It has a really interesting history, though, which starts with Lee Piester's at-the-time Cub Scout son. The Akela-1, a simple model using the fiber fins from the Centuri Vector-V, was first sold by the Boy Scouts of America singly and in eight-packs. Right at the end of Centuri's time as a somewhat separately-functioning entity, the model was given different livery and released as the Centuri Viking. Then, after Centuri was gone, the Viking reappeared as an Estes model. The Estes Viking is very similar in concept but shares no common parts with the Centuri Viking (or the Akela-1). More details with dates and some references here: https://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=17688 </thread drift>

It would be cool to have another PSII two-stager that perhaps is just a little bit bigger (draggier) than the So Long - perhaps a BT-60-sized Super Nova or even, maybe, a Boosted Super Big Bertha. But I'd also like to see 13mm two-stagers back - perhaps the Beta or something altogether new.

And....the high-thrust E motor might be coming.....

Back