Estes Black Brant XII Advertisement

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never got anything from Estes showing they shipped something to me , just noticed a tracking number show up in my fed ex app and then got an email from FedEx once it shipped that it’s coming and will be here Friday

I did receive a message from Estes saying there was an internal oversight and apologized for any inconvenience. I’m not worried about it, it’s just a poster.

They did the same with the Saturn V posters - mine arrived separately in a mailing tube. I’d guess since the kits are boxed in China it’s a smoother and more reliable process to send the posters separately - less chance of a creased or wrinkled poster if they’re hand packed in Penrose and mailed in a proper mailing tube rather than boxed on the assembly line.
Mailing tube, that's a bonus. Potential rocket body tube!

Just got my Black Brant XII poster in the mail. (I'm in Colorado and usually get things from Estes the next day with regular shipping) They shipped it separately in the same style box as their kits. Kind of a waste of shipping material and money, but the poster is very cool and I'm thankful. I think it is worth getting a poster frame and putting it up in the workshop.

Now to get some plywood fins and centering rings cut.

Just curious.. did you get a catalog or stickers?

I've ordered at least half a dozen times from Estes this year, and received 2 stickers but no catalog.

Shaping plywood to the same shape as recommended should be fun :)
The plywood just forms the core, the balsa laminations are still used and can be shaped the same way. I guess if the instructions call for and you actually want a knife edge somewhere, that will be less fun than with balsa.

The plywood just forms the core, the balsa laminations are still used and can be shaped the same way. I guess if the instructions call for and you actually want a knife edge somewhere, that will be less fun than with balsa.
Instructions say to sand to the middle layer, but knife edge looks more accurate.

Just got my launch lab fin cores and centering rings in the mail and they are perfect. Cost less than running to the store to get my own plywood. I’m going to cut new balsa and not use the two pieces in the kit I think.

Instructions say to sand to the middle layer, but knife edge looks more accurate.

Just got my launch lab fin cores and centering rings in the mail and they are perfect. Cost less than running to the store to get my own plywood. I’m going to cut new balsa and not use the two pieces in the kit I think.
Why cut new balsa to replace existing already-cut balsa?

Why cut new balsa to replace existing already-cut balsa?
No good reason. Save the originals and I have plenty of balsa mostly. I think I can get sharper lines and easier glue up with one piece. The two pieces seem to have grains aligned for sanding more than anything.

I modeled the transition pieces in CAD and made 3D printable versions so maybe someday I can upscale this rocket too.

Just got my Black Brant XII poster in the mail. (I'm in Colorado and usually get things from Estes the next day with regular shipping) They shipped it separately in the same style box as their kits. Kind of a waste of shipping material and money, but the poster is very cool and I'm thankful. I think it is worth getting a poster frame and putting it up in the workshop.

Now to get some plywood fins and centering rings cut.
Ditto, received the poster today in the same box as described above. I ordered two of the kits on the day they were first offered, but not until 10 pm or so. It is difficult to believe I was in the first 100 to order. I used to receive a fresh catalog with every order, but now they seem to track if your address has already received one, and will not send another. I got a little nastygram on the screen when I checked the box on subsequent orders. That's okay, I only need one. I ordered two sets of the plywood upgrades from Launch Lab today, after receiving the 20% discount offer for this weekend.

Last edited:
With regard to the poster shipments: I haven't received any shipment notification... I'm assuming that means I wasn't part of the 1st 100. For those that ordered right away when the sales went live, did you get your shipment notice already? I ordered at about 4:30 in the afternoon, so I'm pretty sure I missed out...
My poster came about a week after I got my rocket shipment

Got my poster on Friday!! It inspired me to go get poster frames for the others...
ADCreHdCbwjtahn_6jVOPWniHQVJEMetylEeP1YC8NP9i8CbjzMHUedL_l7hez5yHy3hDC8gKzUQj7UxMVH3v7F_CFtYBjCeTj_T7psLUBKZOSbpIsZC4YujBQpbKebXt4wNIyHrRUYVWmi40ZxlKOJtdIKdixkbttqWP4-Zn2Pgi0q3Vy08nYGXjspVHmD6q3kk3L8frjEFhuUABI7tghFcee4H_er9CCfGHD74MNS7xc1WzO_Gnvy4RocTPeWdMiIoTIA1w_Hcqa_4uXuoJvJObaSblxj9s226lNotA_p-ZXyRIMRPdcFnBIgdz5_1LW5DxqhLpT97hXvnMgFMe0rsrcEaBRQkOnImfrwPILsZVtv_Uk9I3JgddLVeM14zxXCklVTaDJu8WGvMTeTkBePyspYbDSXs78wi6Z8tlVN7Y6k4hOuGBUrSk79LIpJMWhqDA9HTDGgn2K4wDVRK-05NBOZXDBcmouXKU-UpcKNx4D1zOnkxayd2oeTHXLFvg8W-7Dce4zu9YZ1N8FavNy5H64CPzGLp2N_BeUHBTK2up2uce13IwjPbaTnzO9YnMp3TeGzbs7K_BP8vUtEL1r_C7sMLO_W4AEOJ9h6_H6tb1pGyYPwhpfAWuo6me6na2bpqqgeg6G42DFC_ZUjccGcjM6LgZ9yAZsDs9XYX2zNtOmQm0dXzVg6h3iW1Hku488u5wR1usFXuDLSyhqKruTe-YVST0A9pfnvoiYzC5mzqrMKiszb1b3_kdMsCLH_pMj56pTfIEP15yaHy2LUN3tQrMUqW4EdCbZH71t-s-oBdW0-yrPsVHDO0_1yCgZJS9WLDwAOADtvE65Rwu8N99kp-ciMFvleiBJh8YcE_mfzlTWgOSvQdSH1A86NxZzRxXVW8JJ3iwrm_EHomV8iqbVXmvDE=w825-h619-s-no

I got a little nastygram on the screen when I checked the box on subsequant orders. That's okay, I only need one

Printing a slick color catalog is so expensive, I’m impressed they still have them at all.

Few kids will look at them: there are no links, images don’t move, they don’t narrate for you (you have to read), and they don’t even have background music. 3 seconds and done.

Printing a slick color catalog is so expensive, I’m impressed they still have them at all.

Few kids will look at them: there are no links, images don’t move, they don’t narrate for you (you have to read), and they don’t even have background music. 3 seconds and done.

My kids love looking at them, but they are young and spend liked time with screens.

Ditto, received the poster today in the same box as described above. I ordered two of the kits on the day they were first offered, but not until 10 pm or so. It is difficult to believe I was in the first 100 to order. I used to receive a fresh catalog with every order, but now they seem to track if your address has already received one, and will not send another. I got a little nastygram on the screen when I checked the box on subsequent orders. That's okay, I only need one. I ordered two sets of the plywood upgrades from Launch Lab today, after receiving the 20% discount offer for this weekend.
i ordered my kit about a day and a half after its release and got a poster yesterday! So I think you'll get one.

Latest posts

Back