Estes Black Brant XII Advertisement

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Estes , my First Maxi Brute Honest John in early 70's I spend all summer building and fly in the Fall'

The D-13 [that is what it was back then] CATOs the fin can of the rocket, the hardest part to build. Nar clubs newsletters where making cartoons about how Space 1999 was storing D-13s on the back side of the moon and took them out of orbit.

Then I was flying FSI F100s in rebuilt honest john; many said they were CATOing . Not mine seemed I bought my huge batch at the time George Roos was still making them. Most all others were exploding.

Chris Person was amazed my Enerjet 2250 , flown at Danville Dare in 1989, made from plans I bought from Gary at Pittsburgh Spring convention in 1976 on 3 F100s did not explode. He said it might on the countdown and then said "WOW, all ok"

Years later to this time, Both CTI and Aerotech have had CATO problems. It happens, it's part of the hobby.

If it bother's you buy a train set; I did once and sold it for a profit as the train set bored me.

Last edited:
A dark and gloomy morning with the tropical outer bans here in NJ. I just fed the birds for the day. They don’t care what the weather is they want to eat anyway. Got up and talked to Mia in her box on the dresser. No I didn’t lose it but I talk to her all the time. Not the same. 14 weeks yesterday she has been gone now. I hate this. I miss her so much.

I have so many rockets to build I will never get these done in this life time. Two more to order and that’s it for now.

I lied. I said this 200 rockets ago. Not feeling to good today. Cancer back? Somethings in there. Oh well it is what it is.

A dark and gloomy morning with the tropical outer bans here in NJ. I just fed the birds for the day. They don’t care what the weather is they want to eat anyway. Got up and talked to Mia in her box on the dresser. No I didn’t lose it but I talk to her all the time. Not the same. 14 weeks yesterday she has been gone now. I hate this. I miss her so much.

I have so many rockets to build I will never get these done in this life time. Two more to order and that’s it for now.

I lied. I said this 200 rockets ago. Not feeling to good today. Cancer back? Somethings in there. Oh well it is what it is.
Wrong thread.

It was through this venture that she crossed paths with Robin Houston, a determined advocate for inclusivity in the model rocketry community and coach for the US junior space modeling team
I wonder how often she hears "Houston, we've had a problem."

I received my Black Brant this morning. The box is surprisingly small considering the finished length of the model, but I guess it makes sense since it's made up of several lengths of tubing. Curiously, I did not receive a poster with mine. Considering I placed my order within minutes of it going live, I would be surprised if I wasn't one of the first 100 to purchase it. Not a huge deal, and obviously not the reason I ordered, but was wondering if anyone did get a poster with theirs.
1695741901145.png

Got a tracking notification from FedEx for Estes. Must be the poster as I haven’t ordered anything else

I’m a little surprised they didn’t put the poster in the box with the Black Brant! It would of saved them money on their end for shipping cost.

I’m a little surprised they didn’t put the poster in the box with the Black Brant! It would of saved them money on their end for shipping cost.
They did the same with the Saturn V posters - mine arrived separately in a mailing tube. I’d guess since the kits are boxed in China it’s a smoother and more reliable process to send the posters separately - less chance of a creased or wrinkled poster if they’re hand packed in Penrose and mailed in a proper mailing tube rather than boxed on the assembly line.

Mine is in process. I've got the transitions all cut apart and fin slots cut and have the fins laminated and squared up but haven't started the fin beveling yet. I've primed the body tubes and am filling the spirals next (I do all of this before any assembly work on the body tubes, since it makes sanding them so much easier without sanding around fins and obstructions). I am really liking this kit. The plastic transitions as well as the plastic forward section of the final stage are really nicely made. Also, the third stage fins are molded plastic and have a really nice amount of detail on them. While the task of sanding the fin bevels on the first two stages seems a bit daunting, I don't mind. This is one I want to just enjoy the build.

Last edited:
With regard to the poster shipments: I haven't received any shipment notification... I'm assuming that means I wasn't part of the 1st 100. For those that ordered right away when the sales went live, did you get your shipment notice already? I ordered at about 4:30 in the afternoon, so I'm pretty sure I missed out...

Back