Edmonds Ecee booster glider

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjp

Reaction score
I received a Ecee glider for my birthday yesterday.What a neat looking kit.This is my first glider and it flies on smaller A bp motors.As I want to make this as light as possible,I will not paint it.Will use Elmers Glue-All.Those who have built this kit,do you add fillets to the wings for strength?I have been using TiteBond III for my larger scale rockets but see no reason why Glue-All would not work.

Glue All should work fine. I'm sure fillets are okay, too, but don't go overboard with them. Like with paint, you don't want to add too much weight. If you follow the directions, the rocket will fly and glide great!

-- Roger

Thanks,I did see that question was asked a while back after I posted the Thread.Looks like a great kit to fly on smaller fields.It does not say anything about trimming a wing to have it glide in sweeping circles.

Small fillets should be sufficient. If you want to give the glider a little color, magic marker works pretty well and adds almost no weight. Additionally, a lighter color (typically red or orange) on the top will help you find it in the grass, and a dark color on bottom helps find it in the sky.

A final bit for the first-time glider. Here's a good article on glider trimming that might come in handy: https://www.apogeerockets.com/downloads/Newsletter204.pdf

Last edited:
Small fillets should be sufficient. If you want to give the glider a little color, magic marker works pretty well and adds almost no weight. Additionally, a lighter color (typically red or orange) on the top will help you find it in the grass, and a dark color on top helps find it in the sky.

A final bit for the first-time glider. Here's a good article on glider trimming that might come in handy: https://www.apogeerockets.com/downloads/Newsletter204.pdf
Hey Brian,great hearing from you.Have you been to any MTMA launches this year?I had a total hip replacement last year around this time and went to our launch last week.Thanks for your information.Mybe next time I see you I'll have the glider with me.Carl.

I'm planning to go to the launch next weekend. I've been a little busy with school and finals. Hope to see you there.

I'm missing the tube that goes inside the glider.It must be the engine tube as there was not one included in the kit.There is a wooden plug that goes into the missing tube that when the ejection charge fires locks in the elevator.Anyone who has built this kit know if it's a paper tube?Edmonds Aerospace website has a "contact" but when I tried to click on it,I got a blank screen.

I did manage to get a email to Mr.Edmonds,hoping to get the missing tube.This is a neat looking kit that I hope to get into the air at our next club launch.Has anyone used Delta Creamcoat sealer on this kit?I might just leave it with nothing on the balsa.

It's a standard bt-5 (13mm) tube that runs the length of the inside of the glider.
Fly it naked. It is a great flyer if you KEEP IT LIGHT.
Next try the Ecee thunder. It is a flying balsa lumber yard.

No fillets. Keep it light. Light makes flight. Write your name on it! Get over some tall grass and trim it. When you get it trimmed, then add a tad of clay to a tip. More practice tosses. See if it turns a bit. Not tight. A lazy turn. I like to take a kitchen or paint ladder when trimming to give me a little more height and time to see what it is doing.

I love his kits. My deltie has flown away several times on 1/2As. My CiCi was a consistent 45 seconds in dead air on an A8.

I measured, and it's about a 8 7/8'' long bt-5 with a 1/4 inch exhaust hole punched about 5/16" (on center) from the end of the tube (piston end)
If you don't get a reply from Rob, try Balsa Machining service. They have something to do with kitting Edmonds kits (maybe just the laser cutting?).

I measured, and it's about a 8 7/8'' long bt-5 with a 1/4 inch exhaust hole punched about 5/16" (on center) from the end of the tube (piston end)
If you don't get a reply from Rob, try Balsa Machining service. They have something to do with kitting Edmonds kits (maybe just the laser cutting?).

Thanks for the replies,I have not heard from Rob yet it's been only 24 hours.I see that BMS is shutting down for a while as they are moving to Nevada.The problem would punching a hole in the tube without crushing it.I might try my drillpress with some dowel rod inside the tube.But I still need the tube.

I'm not sure what Delta Clearcoat is, but if it is a sanding sealer as I suspect, it won't hurt to give it one light coat to seal the wood. I use aircraft dope, personally, but sanding sealer works as well. The sealer helps when the grass is damp so that you don't warp or soak the wood.

I'm not sure what Delta Clearcoat is, but if it is a sanding sealer as I suspect, it won't hurt to give it one light coat to seal the wood. I use aircraft dope, personally, but sanding sealer works as well. The sealer helps when the grass is damp so that you don't warp or soak the wood.

Delta Creamcoat is a wood sealer and a light sanding after is what I was thinking.I also had the same thought with the tall grass we have on our field.

Thanks for the replies,I have not heard from Rob yet it's been only 24 hours.I see that BMS is shutting down for a while as they are moving to Nevada.The problem would punching a hole in the tube without crushing it.I might try my drillpress with some dowel rod inside the tube.But I still need the tube.

A standard office hole punch works great.

I'm missing the tube that goes inside the glider.It must be the engine tube as there was not one included in the kit.There is a wooden plug that goes into the missing tube that when the ejection charge fires locks in the elevator.Anyone who has built this kit know if it's a paper tube?Edmonds Aerospace website has a "contact" but when I tried to click on it,I got a blank screen.

Did you buy the kit directly from BMS? The reason I ask is that if you bought it from someone else, they may be able to help you replace the part since BMS is busy with the move right now.

-- Roger

My wife bought it on ebay from erockets.I contacted them,but have not heard back.Rob Edmonds did get back to me and wanted to know what Ecee I had.So I'm pretty sure he's sending me my missing tube.I did color the bottom with a marker,but after looking at it sanded back off.It looks better without anything on it to me.Once I get the tube,I'm going to a park near me and trim it.The Handbook of Model Rocketry suggest a tiny bit of clay on the tip of the left wing for sweeping circles to keep it from gliding off with the wind.

My wife bought it on ebay from erockets.I contacted them,but have not heard back.Rob Edmonds did get back to me and wanted to know what Ecee I had.So I'm pretty sure he's sending me my missing tube.I did color the bottom with a marker,but after looking at it sanded back off.It looks better without anything on it to me.Once I get the tube,I'm going to a park near me and trim it.The Handbook of Model Rocketry suggest a tiny bit of clay on the tip of the left wing for sweeping circles to keep it from gliding off with the wind.

I've never bothered with doing anything to make the glider circle since they usually do anyway. Having said that, the last time I flew my Edmonds Geminee Thunder, the two gliders separated and took off towards opposite corners of the field. The each glided past the edges of the field and, for all I know, they are still circling the globe. :)

-- Roger

My CiCi had a little blob of clay on the left rudder/wing joint to gently circle. My Deltie I use a paper clip. I just make sure to trim well.

My CiCi had a little blob of clay on the left rudder/wing joint to gently circle. My Deltie I use a paper clip. I just make sure to trim well.

I'm looking over the instructions and it does not show where the CG is.I don't have any small "A" motors,will head to HobbyLobby and get some.It says to use a spent engine case to trim with in the Hand Book Of Model Rocketry,anyone know how much weight that would be?I could add that much weight in clay to the motor tube when I trim the glider.I may send Mr. Edmounds a email asking about the CG.

Latest posts

Back