Gauging Interest in Edmonds Gliders

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voyhager3

Orange is best color, NAR/TRA L2
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Rocket gliders guys and gals are a pretty niche group of people (that's why I posted it here to reach a larger audience), and I’m proud to be one of them. And as I’ve been flying (and sadly exploding) my gliders after I recently acquired some OOP Edmonds stuff, I notice a bunch of people asking where they can find them, which shows interest in them. But like mentioned before, those were OPP, in fact all Edmonds kits are OOP probably forever.

And to get to the point, I want to see how many people here would be interested in those gliders if they were to come back to production, at a higher than original price, but hopefully less than what I payed for them. So my plan is to see if there is enough interest in it, and I want to contact Mr. Edmonds to see if we can at least see if he’s will to re-start production, or sell the plans off to some new manufacturer, because I think I read that BMS probably won’t do it anymore. Or something along those lines.

If there’s support I’ll try to get in contact with him, because Ken Allen might still have his contact from when he used to sell his stuff, or I might have to go through BMS or other suppliers. But I also don't even know if Mr. Edmonds is still even around, but I would assume that I would have heard or found out if he had passed. I was also going to do a poll but I don’t know if I can, so just leave a comment or a like please.

Thank you, I really hope this can go well.

There was an event at the last launch I attended that included rocket gliders, and it looked interesting.

Put me down as curious.

Voyhager3 - can you post some info on the Edmond gliders? As you said, they’re a niche in the hobby rocketry world so I’d like to know more. Like Pinetree, I enjoyed watching - and participating! - in competition flying.

I've seen their stuff listed in the yard sale, but always was beaten to it by someone else or the price was higher than I was willing to pay. I'm always interested in a good boost glider or rocket glider, but RC stuff is not really in the cards for me anytime soon. It looks like Edmonds did both.

Tons of info on rocketreviews -- e.g., https://www.rocketreviews.com/edmonds-aerospace-ecee-thunder--by-todd-williams.html
Search for "edmonds" under reviews.

As a rule, these are just sport fliers, not competition. And I'd be concerned about the cost/availability of balsa making them hard to make at a viable price point. I believe they were manufactured by BMS.
Thanks mikec - but as for competition use as long as it’s legal I’m good, I’m probably going to be more of a participant than a competitor 😆

Now that I’ve spent some quality time on Rocket Reviews I can say, depending on which kits and how they’re priced (of course), I’m at least interested. The smaller pop pod Deltie and maybe one of the larger free-flight kits but nothing in the R/C range, one hobby involving stuff that flies is enough for me.

Everything seems to be overwhelmingly positive!
And yeah, the R/C stuff is not for everyone, and I’m to scared to build mine.
I kinda would assume that he would charge maybe half to a third of the price than what they go for now, (I paid $30 for what use to sell for like $5 I think).

I'd buy several of each, whatever gets back to production. We had soooo much fun with all the Edmonds models.

With the cost of balsa nowadays. I would figure 50%-100% price increase from the original prices. But a lot cheaper then most of the the oop kit sellers. Hope you get the go ahead to bring some back
Mr. Bob
starlightrockets.com

Ken just got back to be, said he doesn’t have his contact, but he’s going up to the club where he often attends, and he emailed members of that club too (NOVAAR, the plains VA), so hopefully he’ll be there!

Got his email from BMS, no idea if it is still active but we shall see. And I emailed BMS back if they still had any of the files for the plans and whatnot still, so we’ll see about that. BMS also had no interest in producing them, so when I hear back from them I’ll let those who already reached out to me know what I hear and stuff.

Any updates?
Yes but no.
Emailed BMS, they gave me his email to which I did email him, and haven’t heard back. And BMS said they weren’t interested in producing his kits again, and that they also no longer have the files as they are his (Rob Ed.)

Ken didn’t see him up in VA, but he’ll keep a lookout.
So if anyone here is up in VA and sees a red Camero or Corvette (I can’t remember which one he drives), tell him to check his .aol email!

Rocket gliders guys and gals are a pretty niche group of people (that's why I posted it here to reach a larger audience), and I’m proud to be one of them. And as I’ve been flying (and sadly exploding) my gliders after I recently acquired some OOP Edmonds stuff, I notice a bunch of people asking where they can find them, which shows interest in them. But like mentioned before, those were OPP, in fact all Edmonds kits are OOP probably forever.

And to get to the point, I want to see how many people here would be interested in those gliders if they were to come back to production, at a higher than original price, but hopefully less than what I payed for them. So my plan is to see if there is enough interest in it, and I want to contact Mr. Edmonds to see if we can at least see if he’s will to re-start production, or sell the plans off to some new manufacturer, because I think I read that BMS probably won’t do it anymore. Or something along those lines.

If there’s support I’ll try to get in contact with him, because Ken Allen might still have his contact from when he used to sell his stuff, or I might have to go through BMS or other suppliers. But I also don't even know if Mr. Edmonds is still even around, but I would assume that I would have heard or found out if he had passed. I was also going to do a poll but I don’t know if I can, so just leave a comment or a like please.

Count me in a two of each, alternately would pay for plans

Never heard of them before, but after reading about them - I'm in!

Still haven't heard anything from anyone, but let me call @Handeman over here, as I think Rob Edmonds is known to attend launches in VA according to Ken, I just don't remember if it was Battlepark or not. But if you see his red Camaro (...?) at a launch, let him know about this.

Still holding out hope, as I have captured the interest of some people out here in Iowa, who would consider buying a kit if they came back up on the market after showing them the videos of mine.

Still haven't heard anything from anyone, but let me call @Handeman over here, as I think Rob Edmonds is known to attend launches in VA according to Ken, I just don't remember if it was Battlepark or not. But if you see his red Camaro (...?) at a launch, let him know about this.

Still holding out hope, as I have captured the interest of some people out here in Iowa, who would consider buying a kit if they came back up on the market after showing them the videos of mine.
Just so you know, this ignoramus (me) from Wisconsin is silently following your thread, hoping to perhaps be in line also for one of these. Thank you for continuing to pursue it!

Just so you know, this ignoramus (me) from Wisconsin is silently following your thread, hoping to perhaps be in line also for one of these. Thank you for continuing to pursue it!
Thank you!
Still haven't heard anything :(, Ken hasn't seen him for a bit, but I guess it could just be because of the cold. But I hope that someone can get in contact with him, as I had another Glider CATO on a E12.
And if he doesn't step buck up, I guess we will just have design and clone some gliders! Which I have been working on, but hasn't had too much success.

Not to much new to report,
I've messaged him again, hasn't seen it, but I know that he knows there's interest, and that someone is trying to reach out.
If someone here does have current contact with him, please let him know that I may have been filtered to 'message requests' (image attached; this is under the messenger tab.
Thanks!

1709829912757.png

Back