BAR Fleet #143 - Deltie Airshow

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milehigh

Reaction score
Deltie Airshow 1.PNG
Source: Scratch-built Edmonds Aerospace design.
Designed by Robert Edmonds II.

Type: Boost Glider
Motor size: 18mm
Recovery: glide (three vehicles), streamer (booster vehicle)

Booster length: 42.86m (16.9 in.)
Booster diameter: 18.7mm (.736 in.)
Booster weight: 24.3g (.86 oz.)

Glider length (typ.): 27.2cm (10.71 in.)
Glider wingspan (typ.): 23.2cm (9.1 in.)
Glider weight (typ.)*: 7.1g (.25 oz.)

Overall model length: 56.2cm (22.1 in.)
Overall model weight empty*: 45.5g. (1.6 oz.)

*Trim clay weight not included

Color scheme: White, black, blue, red, silver trim.
Completion date: September 21, 2023

Triple The Glider Fun!

My favorite aspect of the model rocketry hobby is building and flying boost/gliders and rocket gliders.

When I happened upon published plans for the Edmonds Deltie Airshow, I knew immediately that such a model was a must-have for the fleet.

Coupled with the fact that there are three gliders in the mix, they are of an unusual delta-wing planform that has a lot of that 'cool' factor.

The model was actually started back in July, 2022 alongside a number of other builds. It just takes me a long time to build and complete a model rocket, what with all of the other hobbies and activities that vie with rocketry work-bench time.

This build is fairly straight-forward albeit with a lot of balsa parts.

In the original kit, the glider parts were all pre-cut with the inclusion of numerous interlocking assembly tabs. The kit was intended for rocketeers building their first glider model.

I chose to cut all of the parts out of balsa sheet stock minus the tabs. The fuselage, wings, and vertical stabs are all butt-jointed on this version.

The booster rocket is constructed from Estes components. One deviation made on the booster fins was the substitution of basswood stock for the glider attachment parts. I found that the original balsa pieces were far too weak and broke easily.

The Edmonds plans called for flying the Airshow with gliders unfinished.

I applied my usual glider finishing method of spraying on a thin application of white primer, light sanding, followed by color and markings using permanent markers.

The booster rocket is brush-painted with gloss hobby acrylics.

This should be a very fun bird to launch on a large field. It will likely require the employment of a substantial recovery crew!
Deltie Airshow 2.PNG

Sharp build! Love the stripes.

They fly great and are a huge crowd pleaser. I've flown mine on C6-3 several times. I trimmed the gliders for a gentle left bank so they all circle around each other. My booster was a cobbled together TLAR job.

My friend George Shaiffer built an upscale based on the Deltie Thunder (about 30" across the glider span). Flies it in baby H motors.

Attachments

• 20230805_091737.jpg
    20230805_091737.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230916_095720_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230916_095720_Gallery.jpg
    731.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230916_095757_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230916_095757_Gallery.jpg
    629.7 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back