DARS December Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gonna be a few months before that 54-1280 comes out, gotta finish the rocket first. Fortunately Black xxxday sales let me finish acquiring the stuff to outfit my L2 rocket.

Which reload are you thinking about for your L2? I've flown the J415 and K550 many years ago and plan to try out the Redline counterparts as well as the long burn (I bought the extended closure when it first came out back in the mid-90's).

Which reload are you thinking about for your L2? I've flown the J415 and K550 many years ago and plan to try out the Redline counterparts as well as the long burn (I bought the extended closure when it first came out back in the mid-90's).

It will depend on the final build weight. Gonna be close keeping it under a mile on the 54-1280. Although, I hear we have a new field with a 10k ceiling. In that case probably a white or red, will have to sim it and see what makes the most sense. I'm not into low and slow, even for cert flights. Regardless I know a guy who will bring whatever motor I want to the field...convenient that.

Last edited:
It will depend on the final build weight. Gonna be close keeping it under a mile on the 54-1280. Although, I hear we have a new field with a 10k ceiling. In that case probably a white or red, will have to sim it and see what makes the most sense. I'm not into low and slow, even for cert flights. Regardless I know a guy who will bring whatever motor I want to the field...convenient that.

I heard something about a 10k field a while back, that would be cool. I concur with the low and slow tendency. I must admit, I never gave that sort of thing much though when I was actively flying. I found a motor I like, found a rocket it would fit in, and just flew it! We weren't quite as technical in those days but it was a ton of fun still.

Yeah, I think I know they guy you're talking about. He's pretty cool :).

So, is the 10k wavier site for DARS a rumor or for real? Exciting news. Any news on when it might become available?

Thinking about going to the DARS meeting on Saturday....will have to find out more if possible.

On a completely different subject: If any DARS member happens to looking for an out of production Estes Interceptor E, I stumbled across a kit at the HobbyTown in Arlington at I20 and Cooper on Saturday. Price was about 44 bucks. Might still be there.

I was talking to Jack at the Nov launch in Frisco, and it sounds like the 10K site is real and that the approvals are all done. It is south of Dallas somewhere I can't remember, and is a very large farm (bigger than our Gunter site IIRC). I believe it would only be usable when the crops are not in.

Pretty sure this is the one in Corsicana but not sure exactly where. I was under the impression that there were waiver issues but I guess that got sort out. In any event, this is really good news!

Pretty sure this is the one in Corsicana but not sure exactly where. I was under the impression that there were waiver issues but I guess that got sort out. In any event, this is really good news!

Sounds right, but I can't be sure. Corsicana is only about 15 min more for me than going to Gunter. Definitely closer than driving to Asa to break a mile. This is the site that was rejected before for being on one of the outer approaches into Dallas. I believe the story was the paperwork got refiled after someone noted that the planes never come below 18k, and it got approved. The details will have to come from someone more in the know than I, but this definitely falls under the "more fields is a good thing" heading, regardless of the details.

As Dave Schaefer said, you can never have too many fields! To downtown Corsicana, it's just a few minutes further out for me. I wouldn't complain one way or the other actually :).

Downtown Corsicana is about 2 miles less for me than downtown Gunter, but actual results will depend on field location, of course.

I would drive there for sure.

Hopefully we'll learn more this weekend at the business meeting. I'm usually there but my wife has plans that morning which means I have to corral a 6 year old and a 17 month old! I actually thought about bringing them to the meetings for amusement!

I'm really excited about our prospects. 10k' is pretty cool and it really opens the doors to more aggressive flying. I wonder if 10k is the max or if call in's may be allow to say 15k'? This is pretty common but if not then no big deal. We'll see.

Currently planning on being at the DARS meeting Saturday, so will report back any info about the new site.

Random inquiry, but I've been wondering this for some time - with all the land in Central Texas, have there been attempts to get a high-alt (30k+) site this side of Argonia in the past that failed for some reason? Traffic routes out of DFW, or what?

As a Houstonian that flies primarily larger min dia stuff, I wonder this every time I drive thru Dallas/wide open central Texas en route to Argonia. With 9hr to Argonia, 12hr to New Mexico, or 11hr to Potrocs (when they get their waiver back), what a boon a high-alt site a few hours outside of Dallas would be! Was a pleasure meeting the TNT group at Balls.

-Steve

Random inquiry, but I've been wondering this for some time - with all the land in Central Texas, have there been attempts to get a high-alt (30k+) site this side of Argonia in the past that failed for some reason? Traffic routes out of DFW, or what?

As a Houstonian that flies primarily larger min dia stuff, I wonder this every time I drive thru Dallas/wide open central Texas en route to Argonia. With 9hr to Argonia, 12hr to New Mexico, or 11hr to Potrocs (when they get their waiver back), what a boon a high-alt site a few hours outside of Dallas would be! Was a pleasure meeting the TNT group at Balls.

-Steve

Good question and I'm curious as well. I bet Marlin Philyaw could shed some light since he runs the Asa launch site near Waco. I thought for the longest that Asa actually had call-ins to 25k' but thought I read recently that it was actually a call-in to 18k'. Perhaps it once was 25k' and got bumped down, or I'm just wrong.... Either way I'm sure he got the highest altitude possible know Marlin but in doing so could shed some light on why it wound up at the altitude it is now...

I bet DFW airport is the limiting factor in most situations. West of Waco looks promising sans Ft. Hood. Anybody know what the waiver is at the West Texas launch site?

Good question and I'm curious as well. I bet Marlin Philyaw could shed some light since he runs the Asa launch site near Waco. I thought for the longest that Asa actually had call-ins to 25k' but thought I read recently that it was actually a call-in to 18k'. Perhaps it once was 25k' and got bumped down, or I'm just wrong.... Either way I'm sure he got the highest altitude possible know Marlin but in doing so could shed some light on why it wound up at the altitude it is now...

I bet DFW airport is the limiting factor in most situations. West of Waco looks promising sans Ft. Hood. Anybody know what the waiver is at the West Texas launch site?

Page down to the bottom of Art Applewhite's calendar/site guide. Some of the altitudes have likely changed, but this is the best overview I know of.

West Texas is 23.5k for now - unbelievable given the site - but the landowner's house precludes them from getting something higher. Jay is looking at a new site and hoping for 50k, last I heard when I spoke with him at Airfest - but that could be a year away if it happens at all.

We had 24k on the East Coast - I'm surprised there aren't 5 50k sites in Texas, much less one.

-S

Page down to the bottom of Art Applewhite's calendar/site guide. Some of the altitudes have likely changed, but this is the best overview I know of.

Forgot about this page, it's pretty helpful and confirms what I though about the Asa site. I wonder why it's dropped? They have a lunch scheduled tomorrow weather permitting, but it's not in the cards for me.

West Texas is 23.5k for now - unbelievable given the site - but the landowner's house precludes them from getting something higher. Jay is looking at a new site and hoping for 50k, last I heard when I spoke with him at Airfest - but that could be a year away if it happens at all.

We had 24k on the East Coast - I'm surprised there aren't 5 50k sites in Texas, much less one.

-S

Yeah, something greater than 25k' would seem readily achievable in Texas but for whatever reason there's nothing on the books. Jeff sounds like he's onto something though, so that's cool if it pans out...

At the DARS meeting. The first date to launch near Corsicana will be Jan 24. (No launch in Gunter that month)
Site is said to be 4sq miles, about 2 miles by 2 miles. Not going to be a full time site, as it is only available when not planted in crops. Looks to be available for at least Jan and Feb.

Site location is approximately 32 05 45n, 96 16 18w and is more or less bounded by 31 to the north and the lake to the south.

More later.

Last edited:
Managed to get to the meeting about an hour late but heard the good news. Sounds like a great site and using Gunter as a backup.

Jack went ahead and scheduled a February launch as well, I believe the 29th at Gunter but would move it to Corsicana provided it's available.

Fun times for sure and can hardly wait!

Anybody catch what the impulse limit is at Corsicana???

Anybody catch what the impulse limit is at Corsicana???

If the field has a minimum length or width of about 2 miles, looks like it could be ok to fly an L powered rocket based on the suggested field sizes in the NFPA handbook.....

Would be nice to be able to do Level 3 in the area closer than Asa. Well, a little closer, anyway!

Last edited:
At the DARS meeting. The first date to launch near Corsicana will be Jan 24. (No launch in Gunter that month)
Site is said to be 4sq miles, about 2 miles by 2 miles. Not going to be a full time site, as it is only available when not planted in crops. Looks to be available for at least Jan and Feb.

Site location is approximately 32 05 45n, 96 16 18w and is more or less bounded by 31 to the north and the lake to the south.

More later.

Something just occurred to me. Does this mean we can fly sparkies?!

Something just occurred to me. Does this mean we can fly sparkies?!

I was holding back on asking that :cool:..... I was at the meeting last Saturday but missed most of it. Not sure if was mentioned or not. For what it's worth, I keep 3 in stock; the I280 and H115 in Dark Matter - both DMS (can you say cluster!) and the H170 Metalstorm for the 38mm 360 casing. I've "heard" that AT plans to introduce a 75mm DMS sparky. I'll sign Robert V. up for that one!

I've pondered carrying the G75 Metalstorm. Any interest out there for that one? It does require Level 1 so everyone knows.

Has anyone checked the weather for this Saturday? Doesn't look too favorable to me...

Depending on where you look, the weather doesn't look too bad but everybody's definition of good is different. I think the cloud cover is the only question. Wind predictions have decreased from last week. Only one way to find out! I remember earlier this year that the weather at an Asa launch was going to be great. Something like 5 mph winds, no clouds and lots of sun, and a high of 65. Perfect. Well what we actually got was much, much, different. Pretty much the opposite of the prediction. Take a look at some videos and listen to wind and how far it drug my L2:

[video=youtube;cs-gKjYIdtg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs-gKjYIdtg[/video]

Weather today at the airport is fantastic which with some luck may bode well for tomorrow. Wind predictions have dropped as well. I may tuck a few rockets away to fly tomorrow. Probably DMS although I'd really like to try out the EZ's. We'll see. I have all the Pre Orders ready to go as well :).

Last edited:
By the way, Jack P. donated to the club the new forward closure for the RMS-EZ reloads. This pretty much means that all of the reloads I have including 54mm's match up to the clubs hardware. Nice.

Great time today. Awesome I65W, an H999, and H138 in an Aerotech Arreaux, and several more. Let's keep it going.

Latest posts

Back