• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Rocketry Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

For Sale Custom Comspec Receiver Compatible Beacons

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brainstormz123

Reaction score
Selling a couple comspec receiver compatible radio beacons. Works with the comspec receiver and transmits at 100mW. Integrated removable cr2032 coin cell connector on the back (also works with a 1s lipo battery). Battery life approximately 8 hours. Case included. Programmable to any comspec channel and has a 220mhz wire whip antenna. These beacons are programmable to different frequencies and are capable of transmitting different powered beeps to get a guesstimate of range to the rocket. Also optionally programable with a callsign if you want to keep the FCC happy

Asking $40 each

Attachments

• IMG_5830.jpg
    IMG_5830.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_5829.jpg
    IMG_5829.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6491.jpg
    IMG_6491.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6492.jpg
    IMG_6492.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I have quite a few of these, they are a custom designed circuit board. Let me know if you want some or any other information

What's the max power? [duh, you said -- 100 mW] Any documentation? Seems like it's selectable between 220 and 440 MHz?

Last edited:
What's the max power? [duh, you said -- 100 mW] Any documentation? Seems like it's selectable between 220 and 440 MHz?
The documentation is kinda sparse, but basically everything is programmable (callsign, transmit pattern, frequency, output data type, etc) and i have two different revisions of the board, one for 220 and one for 440 bands. The resistor is just a reference to tell which one is which.

I can program power up to 22dbm (160mW), but that is too much for a low quality coin cell to output. 100mw seems to work with all ive tested and along with the spec sheets of low quality ones

Selling a couple comspec receiver compatible radio beacons. Works with the comspec receiver and transmits at 100mW. Integrated removable coin cell connector on the back (also works with a 1s lipo battery). Battery life approximately 8 hours. Case included. Programmable to any comspec channel and has a 220mhz wire whip antenna. These beacons are programmable to different frequencies and are capable of transmitting different powered beeps to get a guesstimate of range to the rocket. Also optionally programable with a callsign if you want to keep the FCC happy

Asking $40 each
I'll try one, 100mW would be great, requesting 223.010 please. Let me know how you want paid please.

Best,

My bestie flew one on his Goated L1000 submin Mach 2.9 Missile to 24,000 feet. It was the sole tracker on the flight, and hey, the rocket still exists and was recovered in pretty solid condition. 10/10 recommend.

My bestie flew one on his Goated L1000 submin Mach 2.9 Missile to 24,000 feet. It was the sole tracker on the flight, and hey, the rocket still exists and was recovered in pretty solid condition. 10/10 recommend.
I would like to hear more about this flight. Must have been done at BALLS, unless it was flown at TRA/PHX?

It flew at FAR on Oct 7th. Made by my friend Julian Rice with a 3D printed aluminum fin can, fiberglass tail cone, copper-tipped conical nose cone made from fiberglass sleeves, and a resin-printed conical nose cone coupler that housed an EasyMini, this RDF beacon, and screw switches. In the tip of the nose was a 9” top flight chute, a 2g BP charge, and 15 feet of 1/4” kevlar (main at apogee, 65 ft/s ground hit velocity). Landed about 2 miles away.

Attachments

• IMG_8201.jpeg
    IMG_8201.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8136.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6060.jpeg
    IMG_6060.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5942.jpeg
    IMG_5942.jpeg
    317.9 KB · Views: 1
Selling a couple comspec receiver compatible radio beacons. Works with the comspec receiver and transmits at 100mW. Integrated removable coin cell connector on the back (also works with a 1s lipo battery). Battery life approximately 8 hours. Case included. Programmable to any comspec channel and has a 220mhz wire whip antenna. These beacons are programmable to different frequencies and are capable of transmitting different powered beeps to get a guesstimate of range to the rocket. Also optionally programable with a callsign if you want to keep the FCC happy

Asking $40 each
@Brainstormz123 --

What is the dimension of the enclosure ?

Does it include the enclosure ?

How long is than antenna wire and can it be coiled into a small airframe / nose cone ?

Thanks !

-- kjh

The dimension of the enclosure I do not have on hand, but they are fairly small. Fit inside a 29mm airframe/coupler. As for the antenna, it is approximately 34 centimeters long and can be coiled or folded. This has a slight effect on range, but nothing you would be able to notice
@Brainstormz123 --

What is the dimension of the enclosure ?

Does it include the enclosure ?

How long is than antenna wire and can it be coiled into a small airframe / nose cone ?

Thanks !

The dimension of the enclosure I do not have on hand, but they are fairly small. Fit inside a 29mm airframe/coupler. As for the antenna, it is approximately 34 centimeters long and can be coiled or folded. This has a slight effect on range, but nothing you would be able to notice
@Brainstormz123 --

It will fit in my latest rocket ... so I am very interested !

I've got a 25 year old Walston TRX-64S receiver which works with my Walston CA MODA 2338 transmitters at 220.035, 220.055, 220.085 MHz.

These are the channels I can receive:
Walston-TRX-64S-channels-20231215_134633.jpg

Do you think I would be able to receive the signal from your beacon ?

Thanks !

-- kjh

p.s. good luck with your FAR I1299 Flight today !

@Brainstormz123 --

It will fit in my latest rocket ... so I am very interested !

I've got a 25 year old Walston TRX-64S receiver which works with my Walston CA MODA 2338 transmitters at 220.035, 220.055, 220.085 MHz.

These are the channels I can receive:
View attachment 620197

Do you think I would be able to receive the signal from your beacon ?

Thanks !

-- kjh

p.s. good luck with your FAR I1299 Flight today !
Yep these beacon signals should be able to be received with your receiver.

I just realized I totally forgot to say what batteries these are compatible with. They are designed to work with the same 2032 coin cell battery that comspec beacons work with, but also can be powered by a 1s lipo for more electronics packing efficiency through the ground and vin holes at the bottom of the board. You can desolder the battery connector on the back to save space if you do this.

I just realized I totally forgot to say what batteries these are compatible with. They are designed to work with the same 2032 coin cell battery that comspec beacons work with, but also can be powered by a 1s lipo for more electronics packing efficiency through the ground and vin holes at the bottom of the board. You can desolder the battery connector on the back to save space if you do this.
Assuming it only takes one, 3V #2032 coin cell, that is definitely a plus considering that my Walston CA MODA 2338 transmitters require three 1.55V #392 Silver Oxide Batteries.

Thanks for the info, Alexander !

-- kjh

I felt like I should mention this, last weekend at FAR, georgia tech flew 2 of these beacons on their “Darcy 2” liquid rocket. The vehicle landed around 4 miles away and was able to be tracked using these beacons. It was how they were able to locate the rocket at all. They also had a comspec beacon onboard and that was not able to be received at the launchsite, so these guys should be more powerful drop in comspec replacements.

Latest posts

Back