Gas Gas Gas, a single-use 5G EMK rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zertyme

Reaction score
So I was initially planning on building a small 54 to 54 two stage rocket while in the US for my internationnal semester. After ordering the propellent and single use EMKs from RCS, and cutting the grains, I realized that I wouldn't have enough time to complete the project. So I was left with a 5G EMK, a 3G EMK, a stick of PropX, and two stick of Slower White thunder.
I used part of the Slower White and the 3G EMK to make a moonburner motor and flew it on a very simple rocket to 4.2km.

Now I was left with a 5G 54mm EMK, and a few grains of PropX... After running a few OpenMotor sims, and some OpenRocket simulations, I found out that it could be a very spicy flight... Mach 3 would be reached at an altitude of around 1500ft, with a peak mach number of around 3.3. The maximum acceralation was expected to be around 150Gs.
1701759061948.png

The whole design takes advantage of the fact that the EMK has to be assembled and bonded. The design is basically as short as possible. Let's go over the different parts, starting at the tip.
1701759555017.png
1701759650485.png

The nosecone tip was machined and anodized by JLCPCB for the amazing price of $15 after a coupon, plus shipping. The tip is threaded M5 for the sled threaded rod and its base diameter is 22mm. The 6° half angle nosecone was layed up at FAR at around 11pm in the cold. The plug was 3d printed and covered in two condoms to act as a mold release. I used 6 layers of 3" soller composite light sleeves and US composite 635 laminating resin with the medium hardener. After curing, the nosecone was sanded smooth and I used a bit of bondo to fill a few defects. the resulting nosecone was an absolute unit. It weighed 67.5g after all the trimming. The nosecone contains the entire avbay: an Easymini and an opensource RDF beacon. All powered by two 1S 120mAh lipo batteries from Altus Metrum. The avbay sled was printed out of PETG. The "eyenut" used is from Mcmaster: 5621N12

1701760306944.png1701760111118.png

Now you may have noticed that there's no straight section on the nosecone... The coupler part of the motor closure. This part was 3d printed in aluminum by 3DPnxt on CraftCloud. It includes a small loop for harness attachment. There's a cavity meant to be injected with epoxy to bond the closure to the casing. This is done using small 1/8" hole and once injected with DP460, they were plugged using carbon fiber pins. This part is around 120g. The 15in topflight chute and the shockcord is contained in this coupler.

1701760540538.png 1701760730268.png

Going down a bit and there's the fincan. This part was also 3d printed by the same company in aluminum. The airfoil is a double-wedge, tapered from root to tip, and hollowed and with chevrons to reduce weight. It also has an integrated tailcone and 4 holes for 3/32 carbon fiber pins. Additionally the fincan was RTV in place. I was a bit disapointed with the finish as I choosed a finish that required manual sanding, and let's just say that they went a bit too agressive with the sanding. I had to do a bit of filling and painting to make it look acceptable.
1701760919106.png1701760968552.png1701761065509.png

As you can probably see in the last picture, it's a big throat diameter. I won't go into the motor design but it's 5 grains of PropX and 2 grains of Blue Thunder...

Fast forward to December 2, at FAR...
I painted the rocket the night before for maximum mach rash, assembled the avbay and the recovery system. The next morning at 9am it was ready to go, and in the FAR 54mm tower, ready to go with a ematch boosted with PropX shavings as igniter.
1701761355131.png

Liftoff pictures by Julian Rice.
IMG_0210.JPGIMG_0211(1).JPG

Here's the liftoff video taken by @Brainstormz123:
View attachment IMG_6325.mp4

During the flight the beacon was beeping happily. A few second after liftoff I started a stopwatch, anxiously waiting as it got closer to the simulated impact time of 70s. At around 75s the beacon was lost... Hopefully someone will find it burried in the desert by chance...

Last edited:
That was one hell of a flight. Kinda bummed I didn't make it out.

What did the fin can weigh?

That was one hell of a flight. Kinda bummed I didn't make it out.

What did the fin can weigh?
Thank you :)
In CAD the fincan was 180g, and it was 190g as I received it. this is due to the leftover support material inside the fins. It could have been much lighter with thinner fins. I'll improve on the design to make it printable without internal support.

Of course ahaha, I like to name my rockets after EuroBeats song: Gas Gas Gas, Running in the 90's (km) etc...

Nice! You'd probably like my buddy's old car that I did some vinyl work on. It was a Levin, but it still rocked the Panda paint job so we put the sticker on it.

Attachments

• fujiwara.jpg
    fujiwara.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 0
So I've received the replacement fincan from 3DPnxt as the last one was completely butchered during the finishing process. I asked for no finish. Despite the fin thickness, it is only 190g. This will make for a not-so-good paperweight...

1702144673852.png 1702144688018.jpeg

Love this project. Beautiful example of good design and 3d printing at its best.
You'd get more room in the nosecone with a von karmen profile.
Not sure what the angle of your nosecone is, but, 7 deg (14deg included angle) is self-locking. Above that they will not "lock" that's also dependent on the surface finish of the mating components. Also, the dissimilar materials for the base and nosecone would have differing expansion rates which if it got hot might result in temperature locking. Do you think your nosecone might have locked on because of the angle?

Love this project. Beautiful example of good design and 3d printing at its best.
You'd get more room in the nosecone with a von karmen profile.
Not sure what the angle of your nosecone is, but, 7 deg (14deg included angle) is self-locking. Above that they will not "lock" that's also dependent on the surface finish of the mating components. Also, the dissimilar materials for the base and nosecone would have differing expansion rates which if it got hot might result in temperature locking. Do you think your nosecone might have locked on because of the angle?
Thank you,
I'm aware that a VK nosecone would give me more volume for electronics and recovery but I like the conical look more, mainly for ease of manufacturability and for making the coupling slightly easier.

The angle of the cone was 6°. The nosecone getting locked onto the coupler is a possibility that I've considered since I started designing such a coupling method. However, in this case, there's no way for me to tell what happened exactly...
I want to reuse this coupling design on a larger and slightly faster (+Mach 5) 3" rocket since it's extremely stiff and has (almost) no flex, but I'll have to do more testing, especially at higher temperatures where the difference in thermal expansion rates could be an issue as you pointed out.
This is another area where a VK coupling might be better since the angle at the base is low (tangential with the body): see PHX4 by Curt Von Delius
1702155811541.png

Thank you,
I'm aware that a VK nosecone would give me more volume for electronics and recovery but I like the conical look more, mainly for ease of manufacturability and for making the coupling slightly easier.

The angle of the cone was 6°. The nosecone getting locked onto the coupler is a possibility that I've considered since I started designing such a coupling method. However, in this case, there's no way for me to tell what happened exactly...
I want to reuse this coupling design on a larger and slightly faster (+Mach 5) 3" rocket since it's extremely stiff and has (almost) no flex, but I'll have to do more testing, especially at higher temperatures where the difference in thermal expansion rates could be an issue as you pointed out.
This is another area where a VK coupling might be better since the angle at the base is low (tangential with the body): see PHX4 by Curt Von Delius
View attachment 619070
At 6 deg, you are well into taper lock zone.......... You could have a couple of parallel sections at top and bottom and non contact taper section. Or you could use non-locking taper sections top and bottom of the same section, but that would reduce your available internal volume. Looking forward to the next iteration......

When it comes to ease of manufacture, it's easy to get caught up in the spiral wound filament approach. You can get a lot of strength using woven cloth cut on the correct bias. One method I've not seen is using a printed nosecone as a former. Printed slightly undersized and covered with petals of cloth cut at a 45deg bias. Then vacuum bag it. If the nosecone was printed with a holding section, you'd be able to put it in a lathe at slow speed and clean up the outside. You can either release the printed nosecone or dissolve it out if you use ABS and acetone (and epoxy) This could have any internal parallel sections as part of the former that get dissolved. I'm sure there are other ways....

nosecone taper parallel connection.jpg

Last edited:
Were the dimensions of the fins correct when printed? Or did the dimensions get truncated by the minimum thickness the printer could print?
Here's what I mean. In Cura I've changed the nozzle to 4mm to exaggerate the issue. You can see the grey area it cannot print to.
1702162953394.png

Were the dimensions of the fins correct when printed? Or did the dimensions get truncated by the minimum thickness the printer could print?
Here's what I mean. In Cura I've changed the nozzle to 4mm to exaggerate the issue. You can see the grey area it cannot print to.
View attachment 619094

In the design, I set the minimum LE thickness to 1.2mm to account for that. Looking at the new part I received, the trailing edge is straight, but all the leading edges have an approximately ~0.5mm low spot around their center when putting a straight edge against them, but that could be from warping at the tip of each scallop. See the first can:
1702165573999.png

Back