Come on, Boeing.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Calhoun was hired to fix Boeing. Instead, ‘It’s become an embarrassment’​

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/14/business/boeing-ceo-dave-calhoun/index.html

So very true. A good share of the employees, at least at my level and location agree 100%. Short of marking a box during the annual share holders meeting (if you own stock in the company) there is notta we can do to effect his driving of this sinking boat.

Innocent question... How do we know this was an aircraft issue and not an issue with the flight crew?

More news about this is coming to light.... it sounds like this was crew error: one of the pilots seats was inadvertently moved electrically... in other words, if true, someone had their hands in a place the wrong place

But also, there's a design flaw if carelessly placed hands can cause this much trouble. Good design is resilient in the face of ordinary human behavior.
Not really, each seat of the pilot seats on the 787 has 2 sets of switches for adjusting the seats. one is down on the side of the seat, and includes two separate rocker switches: one controls fore and aft movement, the other controls height adjustment. The other switch is up on the seat back, just under the head rest on the back of the seat that is under a hinged cover. I would not say a design flaw.

More news about this is coming to light.... it sounds like this was crew error: one of the pilots seats was inadvertently moved electrically... in other words, if true, someone had their hands in a place the wrong place

But also, there's a design flaw if carelessly placed hands can cause this much trouble. Good design is resilient in the face of ordinary human behavior.

Not really, each seat of the pilot seats on the 787 has 2 sets of switches for adjusting the seats. one is down on the side of the seat, and includes two separate rocker switches: one controls fore and aft movement, the other controls height adjustment. The other switch is up on the seat back, just under the head rest on the back of the seat that is under a hinged cover. I would not say a design flaw.
I'm with @Azamiryou on this one. Reaching for the seat adjustment switches and hitting the wrong button that you can't see shouldn't cause dramatic flight events that land people in the hospital. It's a somewhat different story if there was some kind of electrical fault in the seat adjustment system that caused the autopilot to flake out. Still, I would like there to be enough separation between those systems that a fault in a comfort system doesn't mess up a major flight control.

Everything I seen and heard so far as to what really caused this is BS!! It would be more believable if they said a snake slithered up or rat jumped up from under the pilots seat onto his lap causing him to lose control. Even the aviation experts/ pilots think something is very " fishy" about the explanation as to what happened so far.
Maybe the pilot and flight attendant were trying to join the mile high club. If that's the case we'll never find out what really happened.

Last edited:
For the record, the current explanation being floated is that a flight attendant bumped the seat controls, which pushed the pilot into the flight controls, which caused the dramatic movements. I agree that this explanation doesn’t pass the smell test. Like why would the seat controls move the seat so fast that the pilot would make such a critical error?

I seen the demonstration on the news, the switch is covered to begin with and then when activated the seat moves very slowly, just like the electric seat adjustment in a car. I guess we'll find out a little more when the black boxes are analyzed.

For the record, the current explanation being floated is that a flight attendant bumped the seat controls, which pushed the pilot into the flight controls, which caused the dramatic movements. I agree that this explanation doesn’t pass the smell test. Like why would the seat controls move the seat so fast that the pilot would make such a critical error?
Something similar once happened on an RAF personnel transport flight. The seat sliding forward pushed one of the pilots’ DSLR cameras into the sidestick and caused a pretty significant pitch down.

That camera should have been stowed but thinking about that incident makes me think we’re not getting the full story regarding the LATAM flight.

I seen the demonstration on the news, the switch is covered to begin with and then when activated the seat moves very slowly, just like the electric seat adjustment in a car. I guess we'll find out a little more when the black boxes are analyzed.
Two notes:
1. Boeing now advises the airlines to check the switch if it is properly mounted. Apparently, there is the possibility of activating the switch by pressing down the cover if the switch is loose.
2. Juan Browne (Blancolirio), a B777 pilot, on his Youtube channel explains how a slow moving seat can result in a sudden maneuver of the plane. By design the autopilot will resist input forces on the yoke. But if you push hard enough, it will disengage, which can push an out of trim aircraft violently down.

Reinhard

Last edited:
The sudden interest in the make and model of incident aircraft is frustrating when most of the recent ones are clearly maintenance-related or operational in nature. Gotta get clicks.
Precisely this. I would like to see one days incident reports for all aircraft, including Boeing. Lets just see how much is happening in the world of airplanes and incidents that don't have the name Boeing attached to it.

Precisely this. I would like to see one days incident reports for all aircraft, including Boeing. Let’s just see how much is happening in the world of airplanes and incidents that don't have the name Boeing attached to it.
nothing, airbus knows how to keep a secret.

Ps blame the other one ;)

Back