Hi newbie here. From Colorado.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clodbuster

Reaction score
Hi here from Colorado. I am pretty new to the hobby. I want to join a club or something along those lines to do Mid Power Rocketry. I have never used bigger than a C size engine. Would like to try E size engines or whatever size MPR would be. Is there a club that you can shoot off rockets at a designated place in CO basically year round? I would like to be able to come and go to the club and shoot off rockets. Once I get some replies to sign up for the club I would like to do a donation to your website. Thanks guys for any help!

Hi here from Colorado. I am pretty new to the hobby. I want to join a club or something along those lines to do Mid Power Rocketry. I have never used bigger than a C size engine. Would like to try E size engines or whatever size MPR would be. Is there a club that you can shoot off rockets at a designated place in CO basically year round? I would like to be able to come and go to the club and shoot off rockets. Once I get some replies to sign up for the club I would like to do a donation to your website. Thanks guys for any help!
There is a lot of stuff available in that E power range. Long-burn E6s and high-thrust E35s, as well as the ubiquitous Estes E12s.

Currently on my wish list is the Rising Star, manufactured by Apogee under their in-house Dynastar brand. Expected performance is around 700ft on AeroTech E20s, but it’s light enough to down-power to Estes C11s and strong enough to take a bunch of different F motors.

Check out the NAR Section map and the Tripoli Prefecture map to find clubs near you.

Currently on my wish list is the Rising Star, manufactured by Apogee under their in-house Dynastar brand.

Two thumbs up for Dynastar kits. Top quality, impressive on the range.

When they first came out (oh so long ago) I ordered one of everything. My daughter (8yo then) grabbed the Rising Star, "that's mine, Dad!". She painted it bright fluorescent pink. C11s through fast Es.

But, I got the Snarky, one of my all time favorites. Orion is cool, too.

Wow you guys are very welcoming! Thank you for that! Now I see the rockets you have mentioned but I can't seem to find them online. Could you guys point me in the direction of a rocket thats maybe 5 or 6 feet tall? I have always wanted to try a large rocket. I found this one thats about 5 feet tall but its a bit pricey. Would you guys recommend this one?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3259530678...Savxa5/r+JYFcgAo2IUCA6DqzZ|tkp:Bk9SR7jAtZ6fYw

So I looked at the C.R.A.S.H. website and was wondering... can I come and go as I please to the launch site? That would make me so happy! Or is there a place I can go to shoot off rockets year round weather permitting? Preferably near Longmont, Colorado.

Last edited:
Wow you guys are very welcoming! Thank you for that! Now I see the rockets you have mentioned but I can't seem to find them online. Could you guys point me in the direction of a rocket thats maybe 5 or 6 feet tall? I have always wanted to try a large rocket. I found this one thats about 5 feet tall but its a bit pricey. Would you guys recommend this one?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/3259530678...Savxa5/r+JYFcgAo2IUCA6DqzZ|tkp:Bk9SR7jAtZ6fYw
Those kits are out-of-production and highly sought after. If you want it, grab it!

But here’s your Rising Star

https://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket-Kits/Skill-Level-2-Model-Rocket-Kits/Rising-Star
The Snarky and Orion are available on that same site.

Also the Estes Mean Machine, a 6ft-tall “super-roc” built with BT-60 tubes that snaps apart for transport. D, E, and composite F power.

https://estesrockets.com/products/mean-machine
Most rockets in the E range will come in somewhere between 2 and 4 ft long, with only a few reaching the 6ft mark, but you can always scratch build. A bunch of BT-50 tubes coupled together will definitely draw some attention at the range.

So I looked at the C.R.A.S.H. website and was wondering... can I come and go as I please to the launch site? That would make me so happy! Or is there a place I can go to shoot off rockets year round weather permitting? Preferably near Longmont, Colorado.
The big thing you need is a large, fire-resistant area away from rocket-eating trees. You might be surprised what you might get by asking local farmers. Frozen ponds and lakes can also work in the winter. Sorry I can’t be more specific, I’m in the San Diego area and not very knowledgeable about your locale.

But most people find that scratching the itch every couple of weeks with the scheduled club launches works for them.

You can only launch during club launches (INSURANCE BABY!). Gone are the days of launching anywhere in a park on the front range. No freedom, no happiness. Longmont had a rocket club a few years back at Sandstone Ranch until they no longer issued permits to launch model rockets. That club just merged with CRASH at Ft. Lupton after CRASH lost it's long time site ar Bear Creek Park in Lakewood. CRASH is on borrowed time as it's site is slated for solar farm expansion. Still the best place to launch LPR, MPR and get Level One close to Longmont.

Always call ahead an get permission to launch at a local park, jurisdictions/permissions are all over the place and inconsistent. Never launch close to an organized event. Be ready to face a KAREN. Be ready to have Police show up and watch you launch when you have permission. The Front Range of Colorado is the new "Kalifornia" of model rocket fear and banning by local regulations and management. Sad to see the birthplace of Estes distancing itself from model rocketry. The original early 1960's site is now going to be developed into condos. Even the famous drag strip on the old site is being redeveloped to condos. Highest and best use! Big$$$ for expensive housing.

The best thing to do is join a club launch. If you want to launch larger rockets join Tripoli, NAR or both and get the benefit of insurance and the ability to get high power certified and to buy or make (Tripoli) the big motors. NCR (Pawnee grasslands Two sites, North and Atlas), SCORE (Hudson Ranch SW of Pueblo) and Tripoli Colorado (Hartsel) have the TOP MEN AND WOMEN and the big sites where you can expand your horizons.

TOP SECRET: There is a renegade group of old dudes who have permission to launch LPR and some MPR at various locations in Centennial and Castle Rock. Another group of NCR guys launches at the private sod farm South of Longmont during summertime. These little Flight Clubs are awesome but somewhat exclusive. :)

I am interested in the TOP SECRET groups. I could make it to Centennial or Castlerock and of course the one south of me in Longmont. How do I go about meeting up with you guys? Would this rocket be ok at these sites:
https://www.fliskits.com/WPRESS/product/richter-recker/
A Richter Recker would max out the park launch at Dove Valley on a calm day. I have not been to the secret Castle Rock site. I will PM you with a self destructing tape.

Back