3D Printing Newbie here to 3D Printing.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave A

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
3D Printing Newbie Here:
Work has been busy for a while so not much time for rockets and motorcycle racing. I just like to build stuff. I did manual programming of CNC mills back in college in the early 90s.
I've had an Ender 3 Pro, boxed, for 2 yrs. Last weekend I finished assembly and was printing samples in no time. I've already printed pieces for two Star Wars blasters for our Halloween outing. (from Thingiverse)
Did I say I was newbie?
I've read through the assembly, operation and software manuals.
When I print a complex object that has a thinner piece out at the end at may sag some.
Some of the blaster pieces I was able to rotate it vertically and printed fine.

Is it possible in the software to add a pad for it build on so it is supported during the build? The part that hangs out is about 1/4" off the bed.

One complicated piece is the grip.
If I rotated it up it would rest on a curved surface. That way it would build without sagging. I'm guessing the software would print plates on the bed to hold it and I break them off later?

I'm excited about drawing my own objects, I was pretty good with CAD back in the day. What would be a good software for a beginner like me?
Something easy enough to translate the drawing to gcode.

When I print a complex object that has a thinner piece out at the end at may sag some.
It may need support. That can be implemented in the slicer. Rotation can also help.
Is it possible in the software to add a pad for it build on so it is supported during the build? The part that hangs out is about 1/4" off the bed.
That is called a raft and it is also in the slicer settings. The part can not hang off the bed in the slicer settings because the print head cannot go past the edge of the bed.
I'm excited about drawing my own objects, I was pretty good with CAD back in the day. What would be a good software for a beginner like me?

Starting, I would use tinkercad. It is cheap (free) and can make most of what you want.

3D Printing Newbie Here:
Work has been busy for a while so not much time for rockets and motorcycle racing. I just like to build stuff. I did manual programming of CNC mills back in college in the early 90s.
I've had an Ender 3 Pro, boxed, for 2 yrs. Last weekend I finished assembly and was printing samples in no time. I've already printed pieces for two Star Wars blasters for our Halloween outing. (from Thingiverse)
Did I say I was newbie?

One complicated piece is the grip.
If I rotated it up it would rest on a curved surface. That way it would build without sagging. I'm guessing the software would print plates on the bed to hold it and I break them off later?

I use autocad to create the stl files for 3d printing. I import the stl into Prusa slicer then export the gcode. I've had the Prusa MK3 for about 5 years now.

Printing is fun.

You can find a lot of good advice here as there are quite a few on TRF that are in the hobby along with rocketry.

Printing is a system and part of that is getting a good slicer. One you should look at is Prusa slicer. It's free and does a really good job of "suggesting" things that will improve your printing. Tons of videos on YouTube can help understand how to use the slicer.

You can also post a link to the object you are printing and most of the time people here will jump in and offer input to ways to help.

Back