Cobalt upscale build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As always, it's good to get wood when drilling for the rail buttons. :tongue:

283_wood.jpg

284_wood.jpg

285_rail_button.jpg

286_rail_button.jpg

I flooded the mouth of the body tube with CA where I had dropped it, to strengthen it a bit. I decided to go ahead and flood the whole mouth.

287_ca.jpg

288_ca.jpg

289_ca.jpg

Yes, I'm using epoxy and power tools on an LPR build. :grin:

I do too..... fun little kit, although the fin alignment guide was wrong, so beware. IIRC it was good for only 3 fins, so I just eye-balled it.

Painted two of the fins gloss white. Can't hardly tell in the photos./SIZE]

296_gloss.jpg

297_gloss.jpg

I epoxied the motor mount in Cobalt mini, then started attaching the fins. To my surprise, I was able to use my small fin alignment jig. I decided to use the candle to hold the fins in place, because I was afraid the clamp would pull them away from the body tube.

298_mini.jpg

299_mini.jpg

302_mini_fin.jpg

303_mini_fin.jpg

304_mini_fin.jpg

The fins went on very easily, easier than I expected. My big clumsy fingers aren't used to working with such tiny fins!

305_mini_fin.jpg

306_mini_fin.jpg

308_mini_fin.jpg

309_mini_fin.jpg

310_mini_fin.jpg

Would you look at the size of that nose cone! You know, if I'd seen one in person first, I never would have attempted to turn such a massive cone. Sometimes ignorance really is bliss! And look how much bigger the upscale is than the original. I knew it was a lot bigger, but seeing them together was a little surprising.

311_maxi.jpg

312_maxi.jpg

313_maxi_mini.jpg

314_maxi_mini.jpg

315_maxi_mini.jpg

Not sure why, but the big brother/little brother pics put a smile on my face. thanx for posting. That nosecone is beautiful!

I remembered the launch lug! Sure is a cute little thang, ain't it?

318_mini.jpg

319_launch_lug.jpg

320_launch_lug.jpg

Another disappointment I had were the peel-n-stick decals. Ugh!, they were awful. Love that upscale. Are you going to use a cobalt blue paint?

Another disappointment I had were the peel-n-stick decals. Ugh!, they were awful. Love that upscale. Are you going to use a cobalt blue paint?

Oh, they are peel-n-stick, aren't they? I thought they were waterslide. No, I'm just going to use Rustoleum 2X deep blue, like I used on the big nose cone. It looks better in person than it does in the photos. What paint did you use on yours?

I used Testors Cobalt Blue. I like the Cobalt, makes it *POP* I'm sure yours will turn out just fine.

I used Testors Cobalt Blue. I like the Cobalt, makes it *POP* I'm sure yours will turn out just fine.

It would probably take 6 or 8 cans of Testors to paint the upscale. That stuff is expensive!

I remembered the launch lug! Sure is a cute little thang, ain't it?
That sounds like a country song title, doesn't it?

I love the shot with the small Cobalt stuck in the engine mount of the large one!

I've got a PDF scan of the decals if you are interested in making some water slides for the little Cobalt.
All the are is there except for the "COBALT" name. that originally was in white and I do't have a Alps printer for that.
I set the name in black and in a different font
On my decal, the yellow art spots need a white undercoat. For those you can print on white decal paper and cut close.

PM me if you are interested.

Last edited:
Would you look at the size of that nose cone! You know, if I'd seen one in person first, I never would have attempted to turn such a massive cone. Sometimes ignorance really is bliss! And look how much bigger the upscale is than the original. I knew it was a lot bigger, but seeing them together was a little surprising.

Jim that nose cone came out great,sure is large.Paint came out very nice.Like your choice of blue.

Got the nose cone painted and the rocket primered. Couldn't resist a couple more family shots.

326_mini.jpg

327_mini_maxi.jpg

328_mini_maxi.jpg

Back