L2 Design and Build...4x Upscale EAC Viper.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is an idea that I entertained. What type of paint do they typically use?
Most all body shops have to comply to the EPA standards which makes them use a water-based base coat, but the top coat is a standard urethane paint which is really tough stuff. So I just use a good high build primer made by SEM and it is basically the same as what a lot of body shops use that comes in gallon cans...if you give them the rocket with that on it then they are ready to spray. And they just keep it set aside so that when your paint color comes up,it's ready to be painted. The painters love to spray rockets as it is a good diversion from having cars come in all day long, it's fun for them. Most of the time if you tell them the kind of color that you want, say bright red, black, silver, etc ....they can pretty much get what you want. I don't usually ask for a specific paint code color because that just takes them more time to get a certain paint mixed up and prepped ,that kind of stuff, where as a standard color usually comes in once a week or so and then they just spray it along with their car parts

Ugly is as ugly does…

Based on some recommendation here, tried Loctite (should have been JB Weld, my bad) marine epoxy and micro-balloons, and spot putty tonight to smooth things over, based on some recommendations here. Not sure about this marine epoxy...we'll see. Used the dual plunger version and got a "pop" as I was pushing it out...may be that I didn't get equal amounts into the mix...two hours later, it is still a bit soft. 24 hours will tell the tale.

I also have some Evercoat filler too...based on recommendations, that, if this doesn't work, I may try. I'm swinging for the fences. LOL.

I have years of West Systems experience in alternate hobbies...as I have dug into the TRF vault, I've tried lots of alternative medicines...Montana Gold, RocketPoxy, JBWeld, Loctite, and finding less success than the West System I'm used to...I guess I'm likely going to revert to my good old West experience for future FG builds. My gallon of 105 and hardener from my last boat build went bad, so I figured I'd try some of these remedies and learn something before buying another gallon. Might have been better to stay with what I know. Good thing is that I have plenty of Cab-o-sil, microballoons, and 403-410 I can use!

We'll see how this all works out...I'm sure I'll wrestle this beast to the ground. It will be a finish I'm proud of...

In any case, I'm learning a lot about what works and what doesn't (for me). Having a grand old time!

IMG_0260.jpeg

Last edited:
Little bit of testing with Dupli-color and Montana…works good! Multiple whites available...this is "White Diamond." In the pictures it looks silver, IRL is is a bit "pearlized." Will have to look at it in the sun...may be too much silver-ish.

IMG_0268.jpeg

Little bit of testing with Dupli-color and Montana…works good! Multiple whites available...this is "White Diamond." In the pictures it looks silver, IRL is is a bit "pearlized." Will have to look at it in the sun...may be too much silver-ish.

View attachment 628784
Looking pretty good now, I love pearl paints

Another test. Krylon acryli-quik white!

L-R, Dupli-color white diamond, Krylon acrylic-quick white, dupli-color polar white…

I like the finish, ease of application (fewer coats) and the "white" of the Krylon.

Waiting 30 minutes and see how it takes a mask. How long do you let your basecoat lacquer dry before painting accent colors?

IMG_0277.jpeg

If you are following, I went with “Option 2” for the paint. Acrylic-quik and Montana gold for accents.

Base coat white is on! Whew. Starting to learn how to handle lacquers. Acrylic-quik goes down heavier than Duplicolor. Each require a different technique.

Played with a different cap for the Montana yellow. Thin works better. And is compatible with the acrylic-quik.

I’ll let this base dry for a week, then shoot accents! Stickershock23 should be here tomorrow.

IMG_0279.jpegIMG_0280.jpegIMG_0281.jpeg

Last edited:
Hard to wait to let paint dry.

Talked to my TAP (Chris Pearson) and we agreed on a 12" drogue on a 2' harness. Then full deploy of main with JLCR.

Any good suggestions for a good drogue?

1707537800673.png

Last edited:
Hard to wait to let paint dry.

Talked to my TAP (Chris Pearson) and we agreed on a 12" drogue on a 2' harness. Then full deploy of main with JLCR. I might consider a streamer, that could be cool...

Any good suggestions for a good drogue or streamer?

View attachment 629630

I want to try one of these in my 2.95 inch Vulcanite Upscale: Valkrie Recovery Systems - Explorer Drogue

I've not tried it yet but it is an interesting idea for a drogue ( a tangle proof balute ) and you may have space in your 4-inch tube.

They do have a drogue sizing chart below the linked page ...

Just an idea ...

-- kjh

I vote yes on the Viper decal.

I may have missed this, but what kind of paint/clear are you using?

Back