L2 Design and Build...4x Upscale EAC Viper.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may have missed this, but what kind of paint/clear are you using?

Dupli-color grey high fill primer base, Dupli-color white sandable primer, Krylon Acryli-quick gloss white, Montana Gold yellow/purple accents, automotive clear coat. Clear has only been applied to nose cone in this pic. I'll post a final pic when airframe is clear coated.

That is a super nice project! I have the parts gathered for a BT-60 Viper, and I appreciate your painting notes. I did not know about Montana Gold paint. And, it is available from Home Depot!

One thing I learned (of many) from my control line stunt airplane friends is they buy automotive paint at a place like English Color. My local store is super helpful, and I believe they have locations in many parts of the US. https://www.englishcolor.com/.

Please post videos of your Viper flying!!

Last edited:
Little bit of testing with Dupli-color and Montana…works good! Multiple whites available...this is "White Diamond." In the pictures it looks silver, IRL is is a bit "pearlized." Will have to look at it in the sun...may be too much silver-ish.

View attachment 628784
I missed the yellow information, which shade of yellow Montana Gold paint did you use?

Care to share which clear coat product you sprayed?
*BLUSH* 😊 The only part of the build I didn't do...clear coat. I don't have a positive pressure ventilator, and I'm afraid of isocyanates, so I took it to the local car body shop. FWIW, they did say that my paint job was better than they could do...

I don't know what product they used. I do know it added about 4oz. to the project.

*BLUSH* 😊 The only part of the build I didn't do...clear coat. I don't have a positive pressure ventilator, and I'm afraid of isocyanates, so I took it to the local car body shop. FWIW, they did say that my paint job was better than they could do...

I don't know what product they used. I do know it added about 4oz. to the project.
Thanks for the transparency (see what I did there).

I've read multiple posts of members extolling the spectacular outcomes from using 2K catalyzed clears, but like you I don't have the PPE to go down that path. I was hoping that if you'd shot something a bit less 'involved' and obtained the results you show, that it would be a path I too would venture down.

My vote is NO on the viper decal. It messes with the visual symmetry that you have going on and would start to look cluttered. I would normally keep my thoughts to myself and never make a negative comment on someone else’s project… but you asked for my opinion.
Your work on this bird is simply spectacular.

Best wishes and God’s Speed,

Steely

My vote is NO on the viper decal. It messes with the visual symmetry that you have going on and would start to look cluttered.
Funny, that was my conclusion. I also have never seen that sticker shown on the rocket in any Estes literature...and I tend to be a purist. I left it off and took it to the body shop. I got home to the YES votes. Had about 2 minutes of angst over the choice, then resettled on no (the purist in me won). I decided that I have the flexibility to add it anywhere at anytime on top of the clear coat...and can just as easily take it off if I don't like it! Best of both worlds...

Your work on this bird is simply spectacular.
Thank you...in addition to being a purist, I also tend to be a perfectionist (if that isn't self evident in my build thread posts 🤣).

It appears that we are likeminded brothers from another mother. I too am a perfectionist (admittedly too much so sometimes). That’s why I have a great appreciation for your project. I spent over two years on my L3 design/build/paint/graphics. If you’re interested…
Thread 'Project Diamondback'
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/project-diamondback.6471/

Back