Cobalt upscale build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty grain, but it'll be covered up with blue paint. I used a combination of 60, 80, 240, and 320 grit sandpaper, and some acrylic steel wool. It's definitely smooth!

204_cone.jpg

205_cone.jpg

206_grain.jpg

207_sandpaper.jpg

208_cone.jpg

Another option would have been to leave the excess length you had on there, shape it down to the nub left where the center is, then remove the nub last. No filling needed then. Looks great Captain!

I honestly don't know how I pulled this one off. I'm really not that good. It had to be by the grace of God, because there were too many opportunities for failure. And yes, I giggled like a little girl when I first put it in the rocket!

209_grain.jpg

210_cone.jpg

212_cone.jpg

213_cone.jpg

214_cone.jpg

Another option would have been to leave the excess length you had on there, shape it down to the nub left where the center is, then remove the nub last. No filling needed then. Looks great Captain!

I had thought about that, but I was afraid the tip end would be wobbly once I stopped using the live center. As it turns out (no pun intended!), I could have done it that way.

I honestly don't know how I pulled this one off. I'm really not that good. It had to be by the grace of God, because there were too many opportunities for failure. And yes, I giggled like a little girl when I first put it in the rocket!

Nosecones as art! Really impressive.

I've been absent for a bit and I'm sorry I missed this thread.

This is going to be a really nice upscale Qquake! If it flies like my daughters Cobalt, it'll take a H or an I no problems.

(BTW, the stock Cobalt needs about 15 grams of nose weight to handle a "C", and it really hustles on that. Hope that helps you in calculating what motor you can handle).

A thing of beauty Jim,wish I had your talent.As always another fine build.

Color me blown away! Stellar job on that nose cone, really great job of free hand turning. You have a really good eye for this. The whole rocket looks awesome, nice upscale.

I was never any good at applying wood filler. Have to try again.

215_filler.jpg

216_filler.jpg

217_filler.jpg

A few videos.

[YOUTUBE]VEngo4qqKFA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]6FJTDeXpVPM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]LmBOFG1zRVg[/YOUTUBE]

You've done an amazing job turning out that nosecone, Jim.

And to disagree with you a bit, you really are "that good" in crafting your rockets. I've learned quite a lot from you.

Um...dust masks are for sissies? :D

Nosecones as art! Really impressive.

Why, thank you! I don't know if it qualifies as art, but I am pretty happy with it.

I've been absent for a bit and I'm sorry I missed this thread.

This is going to be a really nice upscale Qquake! If it flies like my daughters Cobalt, it'll take a H or an I no problems.

(BTW, the stock Cobalt needs about 15 grams of nose weight to handle a "C", and it really hustles on that. Hope that helps you in calculating what motor you can handle).

According to Open Rocket, it needs about 10oz of nose weight, including the 4oz u-bolt. I'll be using BB's and resin.

A thing of beauty Jim,wish I had your talent.As always another fine build.

Thanks Carl! You're the one who encouraged me to try turning nose cones in the first place. I wouldn't have attempted this without your urging.

Color me blown away! Stellar job on that nose cone, really great job of free hand turning. You have a really good eye for this. The whole rocket looks awesome, nice upscale.

I don't know if I'm worthy of such glowing compliments. But thank you anyway!

You've done an amazing job turning out that nosecone, Jim.

And to disagree with you a bit, you really are "that good" in crafting your rockets. I've learned quite a lot from you.

Thanks Kit! But while I consider myself an experienced rocket builder now, I'm far from that good. There are some true craftsmen and artists here, that make me look like a caveman with stone tools. Your own rockets are nothing to scoff at, especially your finishes.

Um...dust masks are for sissies? :D

Yeah, I know. I have a nice 3M respirator mask, but it's cumbersome to wear and hard to wear glasses with. I need to find something more comfortable, so I'll actually wear it.

Even though I don't typically build anything very large, I still learn great things from your builds.
Someday I'll get a lathe and do it right.
My leetle Quest Cobalt (and it's lengthened brother "Orange") are favorites with a little nose weight and a B6-4.
I also found out a slightly longer body tube required much less weight for stability.

You mentioned a concern about repeating your methods.
Most guys need to hear thing again to drive a point home. (Just ask my ex-wife)

Last edited:
WTH man! You build all of these cool rockets, you have all of those awesome tools AND and and you have a FULL head of hair??? That just seems unfair too me. If you also own a cool car that would really be too much.

Even though I don't typically build anything very large, I still learn great things from your builds.
Someday I'll get a lathe and do it right.
My leetle Quest Cobalt (and it's lengthened brother "Orange") are favorites with a little nose weight and a B6-4.
I also found out a slightly longer body tube required much less weight for stability.

You mentioned a concern about repeating your methods.
Most guys need to hear thing again to drive a point home. (Just ask my ex-wife)

I have found that I use a lot of my techniques on LPR builds, too. And I never thought about guys needing to hear things over and over again. Good point! :lol:

WTH man! You build all of these cool rockets, you have all of those awesome tools AND and and you have a FULL head of hair??? That just seems unfair too me. If you also own a cool car that would really be too much.

My hair is at least half as thin as it used to be. And believe it or not, it used to be solid dark brown. And don't worry, I have a broken down old minivan and a broken down old pickup. :tongue:

Using Titebond no-run molding glue as usual, I got the external fillets applied. I was a little heavy handed with the glue in places, I'll have to do some sanding.

220_external_fillets.jpg

221_external_fillets.jpg

222_external_fillets.jpg

223_external_fillets.jpg

Just for fun, I took a couple of comparison shots with the two 3" nose cones I turned recently. Man, that Cobalt cone is huge compared to the other two!

nose_cones1.jpg

nose_cones2.jpg

I am impressed! Very nice work.

That is definitely a mondo nose cone!

Greg

Just for fun, I took a couple of comparison shots with the two 3" nose cones I turned recently. Man, that Cobalt cone is huge compared to the other two!

Amen, brother!

If you didn't need the ballast for stability that nose cone is big enough that you could hollow it out like turning a bowl.

Think a CTI I150 will boost it or will it take a J? Not sure of your Cobalt's weight.

Certified Rocket Monkey

Amen, brother!

If you didn't need the ballast for stability that nose cone is big enough that you could hollow it out like turning a bowl.

Think a CTI I150 will boost it or will it take a J? Not sure of your Cobalt's weight.

Certified Rocket Monkey

I'm sure the I150 won't have any problem lifting it. I doubt it will weigh more than 3 lbs. when finished......

Amen, brother!

Certified Rocket Monkey

I'm sure the I150 won't have any problem lifting it. I doubt it will weigh more than 3 lbs. when finished......

According to Open Rocket, it weighs about 6.5 lbs without a motor. It sims to 1600ft on an I150.

Hollowing it out would be a nightmare. How would I attach it to the lathe backwards? :confused:

I'm not sure how I missed seeing all this. Nice work as always!

This is inspirational Jim! Thank you for sharing. Can't wait to see them in person.

I keep having this idea of turning a segmented circle NC--something like this spinner, but with fewer, larger pieces. Like maybe 4 across (like you did, but with two kinds of wood) and then cut in half and rotate 90 degrees.

Only my turning is nowhere near what you do.

Ari.

3713866486_2dc84b28c5_z.jpg

According to Open Rocket, it weighs about 6.5 lbs without a motor. It sims to 1600ft on an I150.

Hollowing it out would be a nightmare. How would I attach it to the lathe backwards? :confused:

I'm not a turner but I thought the standard method of turning the concave part of a bowl is to screw the workpiece onto the revolving...don't know the correct term...drive plate?

1600' seems about right for a motor deploy flight on our fields.

Jim,I'm not so sure your not Norm in drag(LOL).I'm speachless.Using different types of wood together would really look cool.That would make a great display on your desk at work.I'm very proud that I got you started.:wink:

This is inspirational Jim! Thank you for sharing. Can't wait to see them in person.

I keep having this idea of turning a segmented circle NC--something like this spinner, but with fewer, larger pieces. Like maybe 4 across (like you did, but with two kinds of wood) and then cut in half and rotate 90 degrees.

Only my turning is nowhere near what you do.

Ari.

A segmented nose cone, huh? Now that would be cool! I've seen segmented bowls, they can be very beautiful. They can also be very complex. I think it sounds like the perfect project for you, Ari!

https://www.google.com/search?q=seg...AKWnYHYDQ&ved=0CDQQsAQ&biw=1150&bih=787&dpr=1

Back