C'mon admit it. You bought yourself a gift, didn't you?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought my wife a Silhouette Cameo 4, ostensibly for her preschool teaching projects. They made her "craft coordinator" at her school... she needs all the help she can get. I may use it a little... although I don't do much with paper/wood anymore.

Purchased in late Oct. Delivered in mid Nov.
I told myself it was an early Christmas gift to myself.
Shhhhhhh. Don‘t tell Mrs.
Mach 1 Daedalus 54 TSR.
One of only two rockets (kits) that I really want to build.

I might have updated the entertainment system a little…
IMG_2956.jpeg

75” flat screen on a 84” wall…
Don’t like the cordage hanging about tho. Used to have a 30” deep entertainment center as evidenced by the marks in the carpet. Gained me lots of floor space. Anyone want/need a perfectly good Toshiba 36” flat panel tube TV? It only weighs 265lbs… you might have to pay the shipping 😉

Last edited:
My wife and I buy almost all the gifts we want for ourselves and then hand them off to the other to wrap up and stick under the tree. We do get a few surprises for each other, but mostly we buy for ourselves.

You mean the bits to build an Altair 8800c that I've been accumulating over the past 6 weeks....?

-Kevin

8800C?? I had a MITs Altair 8800B I sold in 1999 during Pirates of the silicon valley marathon runs on Tuner network ... I saw a working one sell for 4,700 on ebay. Mine was in mint looking condition [inside and out] but the power supply was shot, I listed it for $300.

It sold for 1,750 plus shipping back then. WOW [That paid some bills and I started selling other old computers I had to make some more money]

8800C?? I had a MITs Altair 8800B I sold in 1999 during Pirates of the silicon valley marathon runs on Tuner network ... I saw a working one sell for 4,700 on ebay. Mine was in mint looking condition [inside and out] but the power supply was shot, I listed it for $300.

It sold for 1,750 plus shipping back then. WOW [That paid some bills and I started selling other old computers I had to make some more money]

Yep! "c" for "clone" :)

That 8800B would sell for a fair bit more than that, now.

-Kevin

Yep! "c" for "clone" :)

That 8800B would sell for a fair bit more than that, now.

-Kevin

Inflation, power supplies back then were 25 pound transformers, huge caps and pass transistors; not the switchers in the Video I posted on the 8800C

Edit: $1,700 in 1999 is worth $3,231.56 today

Last edited:
I haven't yet but I will...
I hope to retire one of these days and I'll buy myself a retirement present too.

Inflation, power supplies back then were 25 pound transformers, huge caps and pass transistors; not the switchers in the Video I posted on the 8800C

Edit: $1,700 in 1999 is worth $3,231.56 today

Yep. Modern power supplies are so much easier!

-Kevin

I sold my Altair 8800b for $300 around Y2K. the buyer wanted to give me a lot more but I couldn't honestly take it. He paid shipping, too.

S100 bus, good riddance!

Somehow this year Santa scored two RPi 5s for me. one 4GB and one 8GB, at retail price.

I'll put a PCI nVME SSD on the 8GB one, should be good enough for my new desktop machine.

Oh my God people still mess with Altairs? I love this. Forest Mims, baby! Same dude who wrote all those books Radio Shack sold.

Purchased in late Oct. Delivered in mid Nov.
I told myself it was an early Christmas gift to myself.
Shhhhhhh. Don‘t tell Mrs.
Mach 1 Daedalus 54 TSR.
One of only two rockets (kits) that I really want to build.
Any pictures of the kit? I don't see a Daedalus 54 on their website..(EDIT) nevermind I see they show a BT-60 version. Did you custom order the 54mm version?

Last edited:
Any pictures of the kit? I don't see a Daedalus 54 on their website..(EDIT) nevermind I see they show a BT-60 version. Did you custom order the 54mm version?
Mach 1 had the 54 TSR before the current owners.
With the switch, that is one kit that has not been “reintroduced”
Loved the looks of it but never was able to make a purchase prior to the sell.
Contacted Mach 1 and asked for custom kit of the 54 TSR, they were happy to oblige!
Sorry, at this time no pictures of the kit.
I will say, the fiberglass looks so awesome I am tempted to just leave it naked!

Atari game station Pro.

Had to get it so I'd have a toy to play with.

Gotta be honest, the 2600 games aren't great. 5200/7800 are better. Their arcade games are (mostly) good. I can play lunar lander or asteroids for a while.

So, pretty much everything my wife gives me comes off a list she bugs me for usually around the end of September. That said there were a couple of things from Jolly Logic under the tree that'll be fun to play with.

Of course, I'm expected to figure out and purchase all of her gifts with little to no guidance. -shrug-

Make it a goal in the following year by treating yourself to the better things in life. This can also inspire other people to do likewise.

Back