How did you start / maintain yourself in the hobby ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angel_of_the_Skies

Reaction score
Hey guys ! Currently working on a build thread when a question popped up in my head

how did you work your way up the certifications? Did you as a rocketeer build a ‘self criteria’ list in order to prepare yourself for your certifications ?

Lastly, what has been the biggest struggle in your journey as a rocketeer and how did you overcome that struggle ?

My struggle has definitely been time commitment and management when it comes to rocketry. I find once I start working on my rocket, I either have such limited time to work on it, or I lose track of time and we’ll, you know how that goes 😂

how did you work your way up the certifications? Did you as a rocketeer build a ‘self criteria’ list in order to prepare yourself for your certifications ?

Lastly, what has been the biggest struggle in your journey as a rocketeer and how did you overcome that struggle ?
Simply buy a L1 kit and build it 1 step at a time. Being single deployment, it's usually just a little bigger than a MPR. No list needed. just launch it. L2 is no different, and there are quite a few kits you can buy that the same rocket can be used for both L1 and L2. You've been on here enough to know which ones they are.

Also leave your rockets out. Just like a musical instrument, if it's in a closet, it's out of your mind.

my only struggles are my physical limitations, since I'm physically like a 90 year old

Last edited:
Simply buy a L1 kit and build it 1 step at a time. Being single deployment, it's usually just a little bigger than a MPR. No list needed. just launch it. L2 is no different, and there are quite a few kits you can buy that the same rocket can be used for both L1 and L2. You've been on here enough to know which ones they are.

Also leave your rockets out. Just like a musical instrument, if it's in a closet, it's out of your mind.

my only struggles are my physical limitations, since I'm physically like a 90 year old
Thanks for the advice. I do like the reference of thinking about rocketry as playing an instrument

I'm mentally like a 6 year old.

If you've built and successfully flown a fair number of low-power rockets, you may be able to jump directly into high-power. It doesn't have to be a Giant Leap (pun intended). ;)

Not much of a road to certification here. Won a LOC kit -- two 24 mm motor mount -- at my first launch, and changed it to a single 29mm MMT. New centering rings of plywood, check. Epoxy instead of white glue (not necessary in many cases, tho), check. Nice big fillets, check. Positive motor retention, check. Different shock cord mount, check. Seemed a lot like building a very large Alpha with just a few differences.

However, I'm a member of the KISS crowd when it comes to certification. Want to do something extreme like an altitude attempt or a machbuster? Fine, buy a plain-vanilla kit first and certify on it. Multiplying the variables tends to increase the chance of failure.

Only problem I had was attempting to light the motor with a Copperhead...

If you've built and successfully flown a fair number of low-power rockets, you may be able to jump directly into high-power. It doesn't have to be a Giant Leap (pun intended). ;)

Not much of a road to certification here. Won a LOC kit -- two 24 mm motor mount -- at my first launch, and changed it to a single 29mm MMT. New centering rings of plywood, check. Epoxy instead of white glue (not necessary in many cases, tho), check. Nice big fillets, check. Positive motor retention, check. Different shock cord mount, check. Seemed a lot like building a very large Alpha with just a few differences.

However, I'm a member of the KISS crowd when it comes to certification. Want to do something extreme like an altitude attempt or a machbuster? Fine, buy a plain-vanilla kit first and certify on it. Multiplying the variables tends to increase the chance of failure.

Only problem I had was attempting to light the motor with a Copperhead...
Or a crapperhead as they're known.... for good reason.....:)

Hey guys ! Currently working on a build thread when a question popped up in my head

My struggle has definitely been time commitment and management when it comes to rocketry. I find once I start working on my rocket, I either have such limited time to work on it, or I lose track of time and we’ll, you know how that goes 😂
I returned to Model Rocketry as a BAR (both senses of the word) back in 2019 just before Covid. I was getting into it big time when other people were spending their Covid isolation time on other things like home renos, hobbies, and cooking. Retired in early 2022 because I couldn't stand the Feardemic and political bs happening at the office and all the "work from home" but by all means don't "cooperate" or actually "talk" with your fellow coworkers. It was therapeutic in a sense but also bringing back the '70s nostalgia. Since Rocketry had changed and advanced so much since then there was a lot things to learn new; especially HP and electronics. I have to admit - having money now to actually pay for my hobby makes things a lot more easier than as a teenager doing odd jobs. 🤑🤑🤑

@Angel_of_the_Skies - I am exactly in your predicament. I have tried to finish a DX3 build for 2 years now to obtain an L1. I have the rocket maybe somewhere between 1/2 - 3/4 done, but the time has slipped away for for reasons that I almost can't comprehend. A major job change (one for the better, at least for now) and life coming and going have been the major factors, along with competing hobbies. I'm really hoping that 2024 is the year.

Starting a build thread is probably the best thing that you could do. So far in my Quixotic journey, this forum has proven an irreplaceable and critical resource for information, help, and moments of panic. I've received multiple responses for questions about the smallest of things (some of which I even felt a little embarrassed to ask). Keep your build thread going, come here often, and that will likely provide you the best support possible.

As for other sources, I did read the "Make: HPR" book, which a few people here said was a little outdated. Even so, it taught me some terms and foundational knowledge that I would not have found elsewhere. It includes sample projects for L1, L2, and L3 certifications, along with tips, checklists, and some step-by-step instructions. Just by reading it I felt more knowledgeable, though I also know that an L1 takes more than just reading a book.

Good luck! May we both get there!

Buy it, build it, fly it. (Also join the NAR and find a local rocketry club.)

I went from BAR to L1 in six weeks.

(It probably helped that I've been building RC planes for years and am no stranger to epoxying things, but try not to overthink it. Between YouTube and this place, the info is readily available.)

To answer your question more directly, I just simply got it in my head that I was going to do it, and then I went ahead and did it. I too, lose track of the time when I'm building things but being semi-retired that's not an issue.

Buy it, build it, fly it. (Also join the NAR and find a local rocketry club.)

I went from BAR to L1 in six weeks.

(It probably helped that I've been building RC planes for years and am no stranger to epoxying things, but try not to overthink it. Between YouTube and this place, the info is readily available.)

To answer your question more directly, I just simply got it in my head that I was going to do it, and then I went ahead and did it. I too, lose track of the time when I'm building things but being semi-retired that's not an issue.

Or Tripoli or Both.

Back