Can't Edit anything in Open Rocket (95% sure this started after upgrading to Win 11

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INFX_TryHard

Reaction score
Recently I updated to Windows 11 and I am mostly sure that once I did, I can't edit anything in OpenRocket. OpenRocket Launches fine and I am able to open all of my rocket files but whenever I double click a part or click the "edit" button, there is no popup. Due to this, I can't edit my dimensions or even see the dimensions of parts. Everything else works perfectly, I can click the other buttons right next to it like "move up" or "move down" and they work perfectly, the simulation popups also work and I can view sims. I have tried using the installer version of openrocket, using past openrocket versions, and making sure my laptop uses my dedicated graphics card but to no avail. OpenRocket has worked in the past but it was before the update to win 11. I am mediocrely tech advanced so I can get into cmd and run lines if needed.
Thank you for any help

Curious. If there's an issue, it's not pervasive with OR and 11 because I've been using it that way for a while. Just confirmed that I'm able to hit the Edit button and see the popup dialog with dimensions.

No error messages at all? For what it's worth, you can send a Bug Report using the Help menu to describe exactly what you're experiencing.

Try running OR as an administrator win could be blocking popups.

[edit] Win blocking popups would be a long shot but worth a try

Last edited:
I have this happen occasionally on Win10 - the edit window is trying to pop up on my second display, whether it is attached or not. I generally have to plug the monitor in to the laptop and drag the edit window back. It is usually good for a while, until I unhook the monitor again. I've had no luck with getting it back by adjusting display settings, as was suggested on GitHub.

Disregard all that, now I cannot get the edit window with both screens up... Not sure the fix. Is it opening in a phantom third monitor?

Last edited:
I have already tried running as an administrator multiple times to no avail. I don't believe it is any problem with the popups because the popups for the simulation works.

I have an OR issue as well, probably a WIN thing.
I have OR on a Linux box, (Kali) and it works great.

However the OR I have running on my windows box seems tyo have an isse with the 'stage' buttons. Meaning: on a Two stage design, when I click the 'STAGE 1' button, only the sustainer displays (So far, so good), but; when I click the STAGE 2 button, nothing happens. The entire rocket is displayed.

The same file on the Linux box works fine. Only the selected stage is displayed. So, any ideas? (Other than Windows anything is a Piece of s.... Oh wait, cant use profanity here! 😬

Anyway, any thoughts would be helpful!

Thank You!

I have an OR issue as well, probably a WIN thing.
I have OR on a Linux box, (Kali) and it works great.

However the OR I have running on my windows box seems tyo have an isse with the 'stage' buttons. Meaning: on a Two stage design, when I click the 'STAGE 1' button, only the sustainer displays (So far, so good), but; when I click the STAGE 2 button, nothing happens. The entire rocket is displayed.

The same file on the Linux box works fine. Only the selected stage is displayed. So, any ideas? (Other than Windows anything is a Piece of s.... Oh wait, cant use profanity here! 😬

Anyway, any thoughts would be helpful!

Thank You!
This is normal behavior, I thought? I wasn't aware of any ability to display only a booster.

Not sure of what exactly is 'normal' actually as I am fairly new to or. I initially started using it as it can run on LINUX/Mac OS and windows...

But what I described above works on Linux, but not on the windows box.

I dont like windows, but its handy to have around once in a while.

I found the solution, it was a comment above with the second display. Sometimes I run second displays and I haven't recently. I then checked by plugging into a monitor and well that's where it was, the screen was on the second display. I dragged it back and from there it has been perfect. thank you

I found the solution, it was a comment above with the second display. Sometimes I run second displays and I haven't recently. I then checked by plugging into a monitor and well that's where it was, the screen was on the second display. I dragged it back and from there it has been perfect. thank you

I'm still not having any luck getting mine back now. I tried cascading windows. Tried alt+tab (edit window usually shows up there). Tried plugging in the second monitor again. Still no luck. I'm thinking it now exists on a phantom third monitor.

I did verify I can open other dialogue boxes in the program. Scratching my head at this one. Glad you sorted yours though.

Budr0, did you ever figure out what happened? I just noticed that my laptop is doing the same thing. I've changed the displays to single/dual monitor/three monitors and I'm never getting my EDIT box to work. I've uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of times, rebooted, everything. Another member was helping me but we haven't come up with anything yet. I did submit a bug report this morning so I'll see if they also have any idea.

Budr0, did you ever figure out what happened? I just noticed that my laptop is doing the same thing. I've changed the displays to single/dual monitor/three monitors and I'm never getting my EDIT box to work. I've uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of times, rebooted, everything. Another member was helping me but we haven't come up with anything yet. I did submit a bug report this morning so I'll see if they also have any idea.

Delete your openrocket folder after backing it up.

On windows it can be found there

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\OpenRocket\ or
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\OpenRocket (typical)

Otherwise reinstalling will reuse the preferences etc in the above

I don't recall seeing where OR was saving last locations of windows but on off chance.

I was incorrect, after looking at the code, the preferences are store in the registry under "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft\Prefs\/Open/Rocket" on Windows.

But I didn't see anything that was storing window dialog box locations.

The C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\OpenRocket folder just has plugins, motors and component data.

I tried it on a Windows 11 PC I have, but its not multi-monitor either. There is 3rd from the left in the lower icon doc a double grey/white window icon

View attachment 510472

Can you click on that when you have OpenRocket open. It should show all the windows... see if you see any of edit windows in one of those?

Back