I'm running OpenRocket on my Chromebook

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4regt4

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Many years ago, I was the goto guy for Windows. Waded deep into system.ini, win.ini, and knew the registry like the back of my hand. But it gradually got ridiculously complicated, harder to find advanced features, and stupid slow to cold boot. So I switched to Chromebook and have never looked back.

Until OpenRocket. Had to use an old HP laptop to be able to run it. But, wait... There is a Linux version of OpenRocket. So I enabled Linux on my Chromebook (a simple one-click in settings, although it takes a while to initially set up), loaded OpenRocket, and away I go.

The interface is a bit different in appearance than the Windows version, and - for some reason - the font is kind of difficult to read. It also suffers much more from the horizontally oriented screen of most Chromebooks than on other computers. Seems OpenRocket is being developed on screens with a different height vs width ratio, not working well with short but wide screens. This is most apparent in the motor selection tab, where the list of selected motors is extremely squished. I played with screen resolution settings and have found one that is usable.

Sharing .ork files with the HP laptop is a bit clunky. Could be done with a USB nerd stick, but I'm too lazy to go buy one. So I'm uploading the Windows .ork files to Google Drive, then downloading them to the Linux folder on the Chromebook.

Anyway, my reason for doing this is to have a small computer with long battery life that I can bring to launches to do last minute sims if I end up changing anything.

If anyone is interested, I can give a bit more detail on what is involved. It's really very simple. Mostly it requires Chromebooks made after 2019, or a select few from before. The older compatible ones are listed on a Google help page.

Hans.

edit: If you are a bit apprehensive about doing this, fear not! The same entry in Settings to enable Linux will turn it off. I tried doing this with an older Chromebook that was not on the approved list. The entry in Settings was there, I turned it on, installed OpenRocket, and ..... got tons of error messages everywhere. Went back into Settings, turned it off, and there is no trace that the Linux environment was ever there. The Linux folder in Files was gone, along with everything in it (including the OpenRocket install).

Last edited:
Can you tell me more? I've been trying to install OpenRocket on the Linux terminal but I am having no luck.

Can you tell me more? I've been trying to install OpenRocket on the Linux terminal but I am having no luck.
I'm heading out for dinner right now, I can get back to you in the morning. I originally was going to do step by step instructions, but nobody seemed interested. FWIW, I am running OR on 2 Chromebooks, a large one and a small one that I take to launches.

Hans.

Wasn't that hard. You do need to install java and run it that way, or at least way I did it.

I've got it running on a Chromebook, and a surface pro 3 running on Linux. Of course Windows 7, 8, 10, 11.

Yes Java Swing UI components have different look and feel on different OSes. That's been known for like 20+ years

Wasn't that hard. You do need to install java and run it that way, or at least way I did it.

I've got it running on a Chromebook, and a surface pro 3 running on Linux. Of course Windows 7, 8, 10, 11.

Yes Java Swing UI components have different look and feel on different OSes. That's been known for like 20+ years
I didn't install Java. Just the Linux download from Googles instruction page, check for updates, then downloaded the OpenRocket install file. That was (almost) it. Had to do the change file type to execute it.

My notes are at home, but basically that was it.

Hans.

Sure that probably works since it installs Java.

But chromeos is still subpar.
Granted.

However, I'm finding my Chromebook installs are in no way inferior to a Win10 version I have except for some bizarre sizing of some of the windows in the program. Which I can easily adjust. I've heard of text font issues, but it looks very much like the Windoze version to me. A little different, not a lot. Only issue is that I can't tell the difference between a "5" and a "6" in some of the screens.

Hans.

The OR fonts on my Slackware Linux Laptop are ugly too.

I thought it was just me but someone else reported the same thing so it may be that something down in the bowels of the SWING configs needs a sound thrashing :)

-- kjh

Example:

Screenshot_20230728_070404.png

The OR fonts on my Slackware Linux Laptop are ugly too.

I thought it was just me but someone else reported the same thing so it may be that something down in the bowels of the SWING configs needs a sound thrashing :)

-- kjh

Example:

View attachment 594530
Could you verify whether your monitor scale in your Linux display settings is at 100%?

Here's how I set up Linux on my Chromebooks. It is the "Debian GNU/Linux11 (bullseye)" release.

1. Make sure your Chromebook is on this list. I tried enabling developer mode on a Chromebook that wasn't supported and hosed part of my file system.

https://sites.google.com/a/chromium.org/dev/chromium-os/chrome-os-systems-supporting-linux
2. Turn on Developer mode. This takes quite awhile, about 20 minutes on one of my machines. Instructions are here, but it's really just going into Advanced Settings and selecting it.

https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/9145439?hl=en
3. Update. Not sure this is absolutely necessary, but I did it:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

4. Open the OpenRocket website. Near the top of the page, click on "Other Operating Systems", and select Linux. Be sure to download into the "Linux Files" directory of your Chromebook. Follow the installation instructions, and you should be good to go.

https://openrocket.info/
Hans.

Could you verify whether your monitor scale in your Linux display settings is at 100%?
Will double check but I don't believe it is.

I've got a 4K monitor on my Laptop and I believe I scaled it so I could read the tiny fonts in all the other apps.

I'll let you know @SiboVG and thanks for the hint !

-- kjh

The fonts on my Chromebooks are much better than that. Not perfect, but better. Here's a sample:

Hans.

Thanks for the info Hans.

Yes your Fonts look MUCH better than mine.

My Granddaughter Ellie was issued a Chromebook by the local School District.

I know that the systems are managed by the school but she wanted to get her own Chromebook and she was intrigued by designing and decorating her own rockets in OR.

-- kjh

As an FYI: I have recently coded a dark mode theme for OR, which also includes the ability to set a custom UI font size. Can't merge that PR yet because the library we want to use has some incompatibility issues with Java 17. This is all just to say that in a (near) future release, this won't be an issue anymore.

Thanks for the info Hans.

Yes your Fonts look MUCH better than mine.

My Granddaughter Ellie was issued a Chromebook by the local School District.

I know that the systems are managed by the school but she wanted to get her own Chromebook and she was intrigued by designing and decorating her own rockets in OR.

-- kjh
I've heard that "enterprise" Chromebooks are somehow locked down. I have not experienced it, but I'm wondering if you can jailbreak it and enable Developer mode.

Hans.

I've heard that "enterprise" Chromebooks are somehow locked down. I have not experienced it, but I'm wondering if you can jailbreak it and enable Developer mode.

Hans.
Hans --

I imagine the IT dept at the Round Rock Independent School District ( RRISD ) would frown upon that :)

However, I consider OR an educational ( a VERY educational ) Application.

They might be convinced to install OR along with the other Apps that they already install for the kids.

-- kjh

Right. But you have to use the Linux terminal to execute the commands to install OR. Not sure if that's what he meant or not.

Hans.
I mean, that's probably it, but it just kind of threw me for a loop! Some of us started using UNIX before X-Windows. (Used BSD 4.2 on a VAX 11/750 in 1983. My favorite editor is vi, which I *just* got a version running on my OpenVMS x86 virtual machine.)

I mean, that's probably it, but it just kind of threw me for a loop! Some of us started using UNIX before X-Windows. (Used BSD 4.2 on a VAX 11/750 in 1983. My favorite editor is vi, which I *just* got a version running on my OpenVMS x86 virtual machine.)
John --

My favorite editor is still vi ( vim ) :)

-- kjh

Emacs you heathen!
True Story:

Had to uninstall EMACS from production servers when I worked for an insurance company because the developers left EMACS running all the time, draining CPU cycles and throwing the performance into the toilet. vi was allowed to remain. Developers learned to use vi instead of EMACS and came to prefer it over the bloatware known as EMACS.

As a longtime UNIX sysadmin, vi was known to always do the right thing with files, while EMACS displayed indeterminate behavior. Also, vi rarely had issues loading huge files, while EMACS ran into buffer problems quite often.

I've been able to find a vi to run on almost every platform I've used since 1982: DOS, Linux, Windows, MacOS, UNIX (multiple flavors), AmigaOS, Android, VAX/VMS, OpenVMS Alpha, and now OpenVMS X86_64. The one exception has been IBM mainframe OSes other than Linux, such as VM/CMS, OS/VS, etc.

EMACS suxx. 😁

OpenJDk version 11 or 17.

But that's why they made the installers, as it installs an appropriate java.

Oracle jdk and sdk are bloatware.

Back