ANNOUNCEMENT: OpenRocket 23.09 is now available for download

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I've triedn uninstalling and reinstalling. Both the new and the older version. I'm stuck with WIn 11 right now. I also have an iPad though OR doesn't run on that sadly. Hmmm.....

It's open source, you could compile the parts you want to run on the platform you want.
you're right, in a perfect world I would. but I'm allergic to Java, seriously. if I could tackle it without retching I'd fix some other things, too, such as the Altus Metrum app.

Yes, I've triedn uninstalling and reinstalling. Both the new and the older version. I'm stuck with WIn 11 right now. I also have an iPad though OR doesn't run on that sadly. Hmmm.....
I wonder if some other App installed Java on your machine and messed up the registry or your Java environment variables ...

I wonder what you would see if you opened a command prompt and typed: java -version

-- kjh

you're right, in a perfect world I would. but I'm allergic to Java, seriously. if I could tackle it without retching I'd fix some other things, too, such as the Altus Metrum app.
I tried it once, I’ll stick with python.

I tried it once, I’ll stick with python.
Java almost always shows up as one of the top languages used in the IT industry.

Looking at specialized industries, such as data scientists yes they use python a lot (its interpreted so can be run on the fly, but yes it can be compiled).

In other industries, neither is used much at all.

Anyone pursuing software development should really be able to program, and understand the fundamentals, then a language just becomes a language.

Java almost always shows up as one of the top languages used in the IT industry.

Looking at specialized industries, such as data scientists yes they use python a lot (its interpreted so can be run on the fly, but yes it can be compiled).

Anyone pursuing software development should really be able to program, and understand the fundamentals, then a language just becomes a language.
I am (and don’t plan to be) in software I just know a little bit the most complex thing I did was a super simple encryption system for fun.

I am (and don’t plan to be) in software I just know a little bit the most complex thing I did was a super simple encryption system for fun.

I use tablets for this. OR works on a Chrome OS (I just don't like ChromeOS, prefer Windows or Linux). OR works just fine a Windows tablets.

Benefit of Linux (I have a surface pro 3 converted to Ubuntu) is its supposed to be able to (haven't get hack it fully working yet) connect to multiple WiFi networks. So for us with Eggtimers Quantums/Quasars/etc. that is nice if using more then one Eggtimer.

I could do that in my Programming Prime... Then I managed and then directed... you loose you skill a little after that.

Ok I've installed Java 17 downloaded the latest open rocket package and tried to run the installer. I get this. I'm running the latest raspberry pi OS (debian 12 bookworm)
1707267559761.png

This is on a Pi 5 with 8 gb memory (Broadcom BCM2712 quad-core Arm Cortex A76 processor @ 2.4GHz) so it should have enough umph to run.
Permissions issue? Wrong java version?

Last edited:
I'm not a Raspberry Pi or Linux expert but I would *think* that your best bet there is to install Java (11 or 17) and then run the jar file, rather than trying to use the installer. This is opposite to the advice I would normally give to Mac or Windows users (or desktop Linux users, for that matter).

I'm not a Raspberry Pi or Linux expert but I would *think* that your best bet there is to install Java (11 or 17) and then run the jar file, rather than trying to use the installer. This is opposite to the advice I would normally give to Mac or Windows users (or desktop Linux users, for that matter).
Yup

This is on a Pi 5 with 8 gb memory (Broadcom BCM2712 quad-core Arm Cortex A76 processor @ 2.4GHz) so it should have enough umph to run.
Permissions issue? Wrong java version?
The Exec format error means you're trying to run code compiled for ( probably ) Intel x86_64 on your Arm CPU ...

I don't have a pi anymore and, I don't know for sure what the OpenRocket installer does so first make sure your jre and JAVA environment are still OK:
Code:
java -version

This is what I see on my intel Slackware Linux Box. you should see something similar:
Code:
[konrad@kjhlt7 ~]$ java -version
openjdk version "11.0.21" 2023-10-17
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 11.0.21+9)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0.21+9, mixed mode)

If your `java -version` command still looks OK on your machine, maybe try this:
Code:
mkdir $HOME/test
cd $HOME/test
wget https://github.com/openrocket/openrocket/releases/download/release-23.09/OpenRocket-23.09.jar

if that works, I believe this is what Neil meant by 'run the jarfile'
Code:
java -jar $HOME/test/OpenRocket-23.09.jar

If the OpenRocket-23.09.jar runs, maybe make a generic script wrapper so you can manage it later ...

HTH ...

-- kjh

The Exec format error means you're trying to run code compiled for ( probably ) Intel x86_64 on your Arm CPU ...

I don't have a pi anymore and, I don't know for sure what the OpenRocket installer does so first make sure your jre and JAVA environment are still OK:
Code:
java -version

This is what I see on my intel Slackware Linux Box. you should see something similar:
Code:
[konrad@kjhlt7 ~]$ java -version
openjdk version "11.0.21" 2023-10-17
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 11.0.21+9)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0.21+9, mixed mode)

If your `java -version` command still looks OK on your machine, maybe try this:
Code:
mkdir $HOME/test
cd $HOME/test
wget https://github.com/openrocket/openrocket/releases/download/release-23.09/OpenRocket-23.09.jar

if that works, I believe this is what Neil meant by 'run the jarfile'
Code:
java -jar $HOME/test/OpenRocket-23.09.jar

If the OpenRocket-23.09.jar runs, maybe make a generic script wrapper so you can manage it later ...

HTH ...

-- kjh
+1

Absolutely. The installers would be installing a JVM (java virtual machine) compiled for x86_64 vs Arm which are different CPU architectures. JVM is the virtual machine that runs the compiled Java bytecode on the actual machine platform.

me@raspberrypi:~ java --version

openjdk 17.0.9 23-10-17
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 17.0.9+9-Debian-1deb12u1, mixed mode)

me@raspberrypi:~ java -jar ~/Downloads/OpenRocket-23.09.jar &

Yes, Using the demo Three-starge Rocket the 3D views work and the photostudio works

me@raspberrypi:~ java --version

openjdk 17.0.9 23-10-17
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 17.0.9+9-Debian-1deb12u1, mixed mode)

me@raspberrypi:~ java -jar ~/Downloads/OpenRocket-23.09.jar &

Yes, Using the demo Three-starge Rocket the 3D views work and the photostudio works
Woo Hoo, Jeff !

Thanks for the feedback !

Good call appending the & to run the .jar in background mode !

-- kjh

Happy dance time!! Downloading the .jar file does it. It opens and runs and on a pi 5 It's even snappy. I haven't had time to explore yet as I've got something else to do but will try it out fully later and report back. Install the Java runtime environment as per the instructions on the raspberry tips site. Then download the jar file from open rockets site. Run it with java -jar OpenRocket-23.09.jar

Back