WANTED: Beta testers for the next release of OpenRocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil_w

OpenRocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
We're looking for some folks who are able and willing to exercise two specific features of the upcoming OR release:

1) RASAero import/export
2) OBJ file export for 3D printing or CAD editing

If you think you can spend a little time on this (probably starting sometime in the second half of September), please let me know here or via PM, and be sure to indicate which features you can test. We'll contact all participants when the time comes, with further details.

This is intended to be a relatively small and brief private beta, so we can get it done quickly and get the new release out the door.

Thanks!

I’d be up for both kinds, Country and Western. I do a lot of 3D printing and would like to see what kinds of nose cone models it generates. I also fly past Mach 2 fairly often so would be also happy to test with RASAero.

Tony

Does this update have the Tubefin equations corrected?. If so, I can check them, and compare to some past/ upcoming (hopefully) flights.
Yes, it does. It’s very much better now.

Of course anyone who participates in the beta is encouraged to exercise all areas of the program, such as that one.

Yes, it does. It’s very much better now.

Of course anyone who participates in the beta is encouraged to exercise all areas of the program, such as that one.
Ok. Sign me up for bata testing version. I can verify them. Also I send out items for 3D printing. So I can verify that the commercial print shops can use the data. And I can edit in AutoCAD Inventor.

Working with the Tripoli Class 3 Committee, I use RASAero a fair amount. I can help test that part, if you'd like.

sign me up for #2 definitely, I do a ton of 3D printing for rocket parts and work with AutoCAD quite a bit. Being able to export for further editing or direct to a slicer would be quite a time save for me.
Wouldn't mint trying out RASAero as well but I've never actually used it before.

Neil --

re: 1) RASAero import/export ; 2) OBJ file export for 3D printing or CAD editing

I never replied here because I don't have RASAero nor do I have a working CAD program

However, if you need other testing ... I am a member of discord but I am not sure how to find the OR Beta Testing threads.

Is there a trick for finding items that need a little testing ?

Thanks

-- kjh

EDIT: Neil -- Please add me to the private Beta Testing discussion

Last edited:
@neil_w - I don't have a 3D printer (although I am planning to get one by year's end) and my RASAero chops are shaky at best. I do, however, CNC a whole bunch of things including all my CRs, Bulkheads, fins, etc. Generally, OBJ files are tough to work with for CNC use cases. It can be done, though, so if there is any interest in having someone try out the export capabilities to feed a CNC machine, I can help out with that. My hypothesis is that it will end up being easier (for CNC) to just create the part from measurements in either Fusion 360 or SolidWorks, but willing to give it a try.

I am probably most interested in fins here. The round objects are pretty straightforward and, over the years, I have developed plenty of CR/BH template models to fit almost any tube on the market. But fins are always unique and having a file to get me started would actually be quite helpful.

Would eventually love to see an STL export option - those files can go either way (additive or reductive) pretty easily without conversion.

OK folk, have at it.

Beta installers are here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/139X6fEj9Z58LEuvfxeIKgXWQUMGw6S2V.
Full release notes are here: https://github.com/openrocket/openrocket/blob/unstable/ReleaseNotes.md

Report feedback here, or via PM, on the beta channel on Discord, or file a Github issue. If you're already part of that Discord channel, please direct your communications there.

Primary focus is on three new features:
1) Export OBJ file for 3D printing or CAD import. Select one or more objects and do File -> Export -> Export as Wavefront OBJ.
2) Export / Import .CDX1 files for RASAero
3) Dark mode and settable font size for UI (look in Settings)

Of course, we welcome feedback in any other part of the program as well.

If you report an issue, please provide sufficient detail for us to be able to reproduce it. Let us know which operating system you're running, what you were doing when you encountered the problem, and is appropriate include the file that triggered the issue.

Thanks in advance!

Just joined the Discord Server will need to have one of the mods there change my nickname on the OR Discord to match my TRF. Currently on Discord I am showing as Bolv8rk my gaming name.

Back