Altimeter: Mounting Dimensions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
What does everyone think of a sticky with mounting dimensions for the various altimeters out there? I saw one for the raven. I am sure there are more available.

I have drawn them up in CAD and plotted them on label paper for drilling.

I can I probably should see about converting them to PDF. Not everyone has AutoCAD.

Altusmetrum produces pdf files for this.

https://altusmetrum.org/Documents/

I think their for Letter sized paper though. IIRC I printed one in A4 and it didn't match the board dimensions IRL.

Edit - It appears that the URLs for the EasyMega and TeleMini are broken. Also, the TeleGPS isn't included.

Last edited:
Altusmetrum produces pdf files for this.

https://altusmetrum.org/Documents/

I think their for Letter sized paper though. IIRC I printed one in A4 and it didn't match the board dimensions IRL.

Edit - It appears that the URLs for the EasyMega and TeleMini are broken. Also, the TeleGPS isn't included.

Thanks but 40% of the files have a broken link.

I would go with a pdf or picture of a drilling template. "Dimensions" are not something I'd really work with.

That being said, I figure out the altimeter by putting it on the sled, and sticking a narrow point sharpie through the mounting holes and making a mark on the sled.

Dimensions can be weird too..

A lot of circuit designers work in 1/10ths of an inch. So, you'll get numbers like 2.5" x 4.2" or .8" x 1.8". Some are in metric, so you'll get 6mm (.236") or 50mm (1.967"). Try finding those on a ruler! A template can help a lot! (as long as it's printed 1:1..)

I would go with a pdf or picture of a drilling template. "Dimensions" are not something I'd really work with.

That being said, I figure out the altimeter by putting it on the sled, and sticking a narrow point sharpie through the mounting holes and making a mark on the sled.
Most good templates include dimensions.

Dimensions can be weird too..

A lot of circuit designers work in 1/10ths of an inch. So, you'll get numbers like 2.5" x 4.2" or .8" x 1.8". Some are in metric, so you'll get 6mm (.236") or 50mm (1.967"). Try finding those on a ruler! A template can help a lot! (as long as it's printed 1:1..)

there are also designers that do not work on any grid, so the dimensions are not in "even" values. Personally, I always design boards at 0.1 or 0.05 with standard and 1 and .5 with metric. I also use a digital caliper to measure parts that I don't make.

What does everyone think of a sticky with mounting dimensions for the various altimeters out there? I saw one for the raven. I am sure there are more available.

great idea. I will see what I can get uploaded in the next day or so. I have five different altimeters that I support with mounting patterns already laid out (Adept22, EasyMini, StartoLoggerCF, RRC2+ and RRC3)

there are also designers that do not work on any grid, so the dimensions are not in "even" values. Personally, I always design boards at 0.1 or 0.05 with standard and 1 and .5 with metric. I also use a digital caliper to measure parts that I don't make.

the difference between a good and GOOD designer!! and not everyone has a set of calipers.. Sometimes, measuring a part can be measuring their incurred tolerances and/or manufacturing error, and can therefore be off. Measuring from the edge to the center of a hole can be a guess..

the difference between a good and GOOD designer!! and not everyone has a set of calipers.. Sometimes, measuring a part can be measuring their incurred tolerances and/or manufacturing error, and can therefore be off. Measuring from the edge to the center of a hole can be a guess..

I agree 100%. When I have to physically measure something, I will use numbered drill bits in the holes and measure from as stable of a point I can create. As for calipers, they are 10-15 bucks for a cheap pair. They are not Mitotoyo, Starrett, or others in quality, but they work. I have a couple of those and a Mitotoyo. Franky, I really dislike guessing... :)

Guessing is what make you have to cut an extra piece.

I just print to fit... :)

Here is a pdf with six templates. Check it out and let me know what needs to be added or changed. I consolidated them onto a single page to make life easier (there is room for a couple more). I will put it on my site and add more as time goes on. At the moment, the only thing the templates are missing is any special information about mounting - i.e. StratoLoggerCF has very little clearance around the holes if you use metal standoffs. There is also no underneath clearance spec, but I will add that after people chime in.

BTW, I added the Raven3 thanks to the posting here with dimensions.

Attachments

• altimeter_templates_1_v1.pdf
    191.1 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Thanks but 40% of the files have a broken link.

Agreed, and that's why I edited my post to say "It appears that the URLs for the EasyMega and TeleMini are broken. Also, the TeleGPS isn't included."

Luckily this is all easily solved with a bit of googling. The files are on the Altus Metrum site, it's just the links on the page above are broken. Here's everything else. Using site:website.com.au in Google is a quite useful skill to learn.

TeleMini v1
https://altusmetrum.org/Documents/telemini-v1-outline.pdf

TeleMini v3
https://altusmetrum.org/Documents/telemini-v3-outline.pdf

EasyMega
https://altusmetrum.org/AltOS/doc/easymega-outline.pdf

TeleGPS
https://altusmetrum.org/AltOS/doc/telegps-outline.pdf

I rethought how to do the templates and I modified what I started, to make individual manufacturer pages, so the template pdf can be expanded to cover new devices easily. Here is the new format and I would not mind updating and adding new altimeters if people are willing to send me a link or doc to the specs needed. I will be adding the rest of AltusMetrum devices to the list (I already had the mtg information anyway). I also added a page for Chris and Eggtimer Rocketry to cover those devices once I have the docs on them.

I think having it in one doc is advantageous. I need all this information anyway for what I do and will keep the doc updated for myself, so it just seemed like sharing it would be a benefit to all.

Attachments

• altimeter_templates_v1_1.pdf
    195.8 KB · Views: 150
Looks good. One suggestion would be to include the outline of the altimeter too. The current design could be interpreted to show the outline, which it doesn't yet.

Adept22.png

I've found having the correct outline is quite helpful in a couple of cases. This way paper cutouts can be arranged even if the real component is not available.

Reinhard

Looks good. One suggestion would be to include the outline of the altimeter too. The current design could be interpreted to show the outline, which it doesn't yet.

View attachment 358600

I've found having the correct outline is quite helpful in a couple of cases. This way paper cutouts can be arranged even if the real component is not available.

Reinhard

great idea! I should have done that... :) the next rev will have the outlines also.

Thanks! The templates are actual screen shots of the altimeter sleds that I developed. All the sleds I make use 2-56 thermal inserts, so the holes you see on the templates are not actual size but a bit larger to handle the inserts. They are really not meant to be the actual hole size, but only the position of the hole you need to mount the device.

Has anyone ever made a sled or template for the Adept Alts2? If so, can one post pics or dimensions. I'm trying to come up with/build something that will work in different size rockets. This is my first go at it so I'm just looking for advice or some ideas. I need a starting point. Any help? Thanks,

Brandon

Has anyone ever made a sled or template for the Adept Alts2? If so, can one post pics or dimensions. I'm trying to come up with/build something that will work in different size rockets. This is my first go at it so I'm just looking for advice or some ideas. I need a starting point. Any help? Thanks,

Brandon
Hi, I will add that one to the template doc I created. I will try and have an update today sometime for you.

Back