Are there available off-the-shelf flight controllers?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking for a small-as-I-can-get off the shelf flight controller with the following capabilities:
1. The usual max altitude, max acceleration, etc
2. Ability to track flight in 3 dimensions
3. True velocity measurements for non-vertical flight (not just vertical velocity derived from barometric readings). If the rocket goes off-vertical I want to know how fast it is going in whatever direction it travels as well as its vertical velocity
4. Ability to air start motors based on initial motion of rocket

I think the Blue Raven comes close. Are there other choices?

Thanks

I am looking for a small-as-I-can-get off the shelf flight controller with the following capabilities:
1. The usual max altitude, max acceleration, etc
2. Ability to track flight in 3 dimensions
3. True velocity measurements for non-vertical flight (not just vertical velocity derived from barometric readings). If the rocket goes off-vertical I want to know how fast it is going in whatever direction it travels as well as its vertical velocity
4. Ability to air start motors based on initial motion of rocket

I think the Blue Raven comes close. Are there other choices?

Thanks
...as small as you can get..
yep that's it ...as far as I know.

Tony

Hey Buzz !

Interesting Q and I don't bave any As.

But I do have another Q for you:

Are you looking for real-time, on-board inertial navigation info or are you looking for something that you can process after the rocket is recovered ?

It's been a long time since the old RMR days.

Nice to 'see' you !

-- kjh

Hey Buzz !

Interesting Q and I don't bave any As.
But I do have another Q for you:
Are you looking for real-time, on-board inertial navigation info or are you looking for something that you can process after the rocket is recovered ?
It's been a long time since the old RMR days.
Nice to 'see' you !

-- kjh
Strictly post flight data. I'll be flying fin-stabilized, unguided rockets. But there will be some strange configurations and I'll be looking for certain 'atypical', but within safety code, flight characteristics. Not interested in real time data.

And I do want 'real time' air starts, of course. And the air starts won't be after 1st motor burnout. I want them to kick in after launch but while the core is still burning. I may use staging capability to kick off SRBs.

Sounds like an interesting project and I believe that the Featherweight Blue Raven 'fits'.

I've got one now but I just got back into rocketry last summer -- just in time for the TX burn bans :(

I've done two dual deployment flights with the Blue Raven so far -- one to recert Level 1 in June and then to recert Level 2 in November.

The Blue Raven staging / air start capabilities are pretty amazing and after I re-acquire some skills, I want to get into staging small rockets ( 38mm, 29mm, 24mm ).

But it will be a while before I have figured out my down-sized AV-Bays to the point that I trust them.

This Sub-Forum has a number of threads by @Adrian A where he has shared his staging configurations -- all the details are here.

HTH and good luck, Buzz !

-- kjh

I believe that TeleMega and EasyMega can do all of this.
TeleMega includes live telemetry downlink, while EasyMega does not.

Both have GPS and many sensors integrated, as well as 6 pyro outputs that can be configured for things like airstarts.

Back