Recommendation for small/cheap Accelerometer Flight Computer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pugachu

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have yet another squat rocket coming up. total low performance made from a 6" shipping tube and 3d printed nose. Once I get a bit of momentum on the build, I'll make a thread for it. I'm looking at putting the altimeter in the tip of the nosecone, and I don't think I want to put the baro-based altimeters with the vent at the tip of the NC. I'm thinking of having a 75mm motor mount for the K1800ST reload as a 'full send', and they don't have motor ejection options.

As this is a dumb rocket, I don't need a sophisticated altimeter in it, but I would prefer if it were accelerometer based. I have almost a dozen Eggtimer altimeters, but all of the simple ones that they list are baro based.

I am looking for recommendations for a simple apogee only accelerometer based flight computer. I've been out of the hobby for a while, so there are a lot of options that I don't know about. I loved the old G-Wiz flight computers, and that's what I used on my L2 and L3 certifications.

I may just put a hatch in the side of the rocket between the centering rings and use an eggtimer, but I want to see what options I have for a nose tip flight computer.

As a 'teaser' I am planning on an upscale of the Toy Story "the big one" rocket.

Attachments

• TBO Concept.jpg
    TBO Concept.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 0
If you want just apogee deployment and not super-accurate data on the ascent, then a baro altimeter in the nose is fine. Accel apogee detection/deployment is questionable, IMO.

Back