Anyone going to see the Orion Test Flight?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAHagen

Reaction score
We might. It matters if our we can work a trip to Florida into our schedule. Is anyone else planning a trip down to the sunshine state to see the launch in person?

Last edited:
Would love to, but it's a weekday and I'll be working. I'm off Friday, though...I wonder if I could switch my dates around. I want to see it so bad!

This is the closest thing to Apollo we'll experience.

I'm going. Just bought my wife and I tickets to view it from KSC viewing site cause it seems to be much closer than any of the public viewing spots I could find. Hopefully it doesn't get delayed.

yeah I eventually found it. it was strange that it didn't show up on any of the usual launch schedules I look at.

hopefully it will go off on time for you guys.

I'm going. Just bought my wife and I tickets to view it from KSC viewing site cause it seems to be much closer than any of the public viewing spots I could find. Hopefully it doesn't get delayed.

Where did you get the tickets?

This is the closest thing to Apollo we'll experience.

Sadly, that might be too true.

Because nothing about this whole thing, including Ares-5, I mean SLS, looks like any sort of viable program to get to Mars in the foreseeable future. I won't be surprised if SLS eventually gets cancelled like the Ares program was. NASA didn't even want SLS.

Does anyone know if the Orion spacecraft was tested in a vacuum chamber, with the hatch open, to verify that the electronics inside can withstand vacuum? Gemini and Apollo could, and did, for spacewalks. Modern electronics, at the very least the LCD screens will pop if they are not protected in some way.

So I wonder if they have tested the spacecraft in vacuum to confirm it is OK, or not. Because if not, then some critical parts of the spacecraft are not going to be tested during this flight.

- George Gassaway

Sadly, that might be too true.

Because nothing about this whole thing, including Ares-5, I mean SLS, looks like any sort of viable program to get to Mars in the foreseeable future. I won't be surprised if SLS eventually gets cancelled like the Ares program was. NASA didn't even want SLS.

Does anyone know if the Orion spacecraft was tested in a vacuum chamber, with the hatch open, to verify that the electronics inside can withstand vacuum? Gemini and Apollo could, and did, for spacewalks. Modern electronics, at the very least the LCD screens will pop if they are not protected in some way.

So I wonder if they have tested the spacecraft in vacuum to confirm it is OK, or not. Because if not, then some critical parts of the spacecraft are not going to be tested during this flight.

- George Gassaway

Im sure it has been or will be tested in vacuum. I just read that it is supposed to be able to operate completely depressurized. And astronauts are supposed to be able to survive inside their space suits inside the depressurized capsule for up to six days.

I haven't been keeping up with politics, but I was under the impression that the whole 'mission to mars' stuff was canned due to i) funding cuts and ii) a change in direction for NASA (away from space exploration and towards global warming monitoring and unmanned exploration of the solar system). What gives? A new director, budget? So that my tone is not misunderstood, I'm glad to hear it!

I haven't been keeping up with politics, but I was under the impression that the whole 'mission to mars' stuff was canned due to i) funding cuts and ii) a change in direction for NASA (away from space exploration and towards global warming monitoring and unmanned exploration of the solar system). What gives? A new director, budget? So that my tone is not misunderstood, I'm glad to hear it!

The Orion capsule has been in development for years, and no, it has not been canceled.

Getting excited! We have tickets and everything to see it launch at the Saturn V viewing area!

That is awesome! I saw a space shuttle launch from Titusville, but to be that much closer will be very cool for you! I hope everything goes as planned and on schedule. Have a great time!

That is awesome! I saw a space shuttle launch from Titusville, but to be that much closer will be very cool for you! I hope everything goes as planned and on schedule. Have a great time!

Thanks! Yeah we've got to get back for my dad's work the next day so hopefully it won't be delayed. it's either December 4th or live stream. ;)

December 4th, launch window opens at 7:05 a.m. EST

Figures. I will be on the road driving to orlando from Atlanta. If it is delayed a day I plan to be there!

Launching rockets (and missiles in my case) is so easy a chimp could do it. Read a step, do a step, eat a banana.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Seen on the news last week they removed the Coundown Clock

that was seen on the TV coverage of launch's since Mecury( i believe)

Said can't find parts....

Im sure someone could have got it working...I would've tried ")

john

Back