Your thoughts and opinions on UPS strike

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Five

Reaction score
Come August 1st if UPS has not negotiated a new contract with teamsters/UPS employees, approximately 340,000 employees nation wide are hitting the picket lines.
Will you be affected from this? How?
Your thoughts and comments.

The people who make all of the profits for the corporation, and do all the hard physical work, get paid very poorly in comparison to what all of the greedy corporate executives and management.. As management does absolutely zero work, all they do is attend meetings, type emails, and go on corporate executive trips They have zero empathy or concern about anybody that's doing the actual work, they only care about the overall corporate profits and to make sure that they keep the dividend checks coming for the shareholders, Unions are needed more than ever in this country as the corporate greed has reached ridiculous levels.

Last edited:
I was affected last time they went on strike in the ‘90s. We used fedex for all our shipping but they went on overload and really weren’t able to handle the excess shipping so many packages were delayed. It’s going to affect anyone who relies on shipping.

Minimum wage has been $7.25/hr since 2009. Other wages are (in reality) at least partially based on that minimum. Why has that wage remained static in the face of inflation---especially food prices? The culprit appears to be lobbying by companies in order to maximize the bottom line.

I fully support the strike. And unions in general. Yes, it will cause shipping problems. That's the point of a strike, to hurt the company until it acquiesces, or at least is willing to bargain.

Unions are about the only real power that the worker has right now, short of violence. And I don't approve of violence when it can be avoided.

(...) they only care about the overall corporate profits and to make sure that they keep the dividend checks coming for the shareholders (...)
It's often worth pointing out to people with this attitude that those dastardly shareholders include anyone with a 401k, and also group retirement plans, like the teacher's association (union? I don't remember exactly, but it was a retirement plan for California public school teachers) that is a major shareholder in the California power companies everyone was railing against a few years ago.

Not saying the unions are wrong, but saying there are two sides to this story. Yes, workers ought to be paid more to at the very least make up for inflation, but those on the other side are not merely some faceless bad guys that it's okay to hate.

With the huge increase in shipping rates for individuals, UPS is either swimming in Cash or they are offering too much of a discount to Amzon, Wal-Mart, and other big Customers.

The people who make all of the profits for the corporation, and do all the hard physical work, get paid very poorly in comparison to what all of the greedy corporate executives and management.. As management does absolutely zero work, all they do is attend meetings, type emails, and go on corporate executive trips They have zero empathy or concern about anybody that's doing the actual work, they only care about the overall corporate profits and to make sure that they keep the dividend checks coming for the shareholders, Unions are needed more than ever in this country as the corporate greed has reached ridiculous levels.
That’s a very poor take on how things work. In the end the management is there to ensure the company is making money. Sure, most executives or company owners, etc. make a considerable amount of money versus the average laborer. I don’t see how you think for some reason that should be any different. In most cases there is considerable education and training for management versus not much is required for labor positions. It’s all about what you want to pursue in life, with some exceptions for the obvious lucky people born into money or positions.
I don’t know the actual facts in the case of UPS. Workers should make a fair wage for sure but it seems more and more unions are asking for unrealistic benefits for the positions people hold. For instance the Starbucks barista nonsense.

I’ve been in unions most of my life, Teamsters and IAM. I started at my current job in 1987. With shift differential I made an even $10.00 an hour. 36 years later with Lead position pay I am making just under $49.00 per hour. I have been through several strikes. IMO none of them have gained me anything. According to the union my pay is a direct result of them.
Because of them or I should say lack of their action, I have lost pension, increased medical costs and so much more. All of the unfair labor charges brought by the union are always bought off and dropped or paid with minimal amount of pain or action.
I see how they (the union) continue to “fight for the rights” of so many folks that justly deserve termination. All for the sake of the monthly union dues. The union, AND the company would be better off if the unions worked to keep a little higher skill set in place.
When it all come down to the brass tacks, we strike when the company wants us to, if they don’t want us to, we don’t. The last several contracts have been negotiated in mid contract or for lack of a better term, also extended.
The company is now hurting, in a bind and I feel this next year will be strike time.
I am a the end of my career, in the time I have remaining I would not have time to “recover” from a strike. This time, I will be one of many that has already decided, if it comes to it, there will be no strike for us.
I think unions do have a place, but when it comes down to the one I am in…..it is sorely lacking it it’s representation of the average worker.

As of right now its not looking good as far as both sides coming to an agreement. They say its almost resolved but the president of Teamsters is not backing down any and UPS is not budging either. Both sides need to meet in the middle. Times have changed since the last strike in 1997. You just might see a lot more employees trying to cross the picket lines.

That’s a very poor take on how things work. In the end the management is there to ensure the company is making money. Sure, most executives or company owners, etc. make a considerable amount of money versus the average laborer. I don’t see how you think for some reason that should be any different. In most cases there is considerable education and training for management versus not much is required for labor positions. It’s all about what you want to pursue in life, with some exceptions for the obvious lucky people born into money or positions.
I disagree. I worked for Fortune 500 companies (Owens Corning, McDonnell Douglas). Just because you have a PHD and are sitting behind a mahogany desk in an Ivory Tower, shouldn't give you the right to make 200 times more than the people who actually make it possible for the company to exist. If they have had enough of being Corporate Debt Slaves, they can strike. There is an overwhelming amount of people in management in most companies doing very little. It only takes a handful of people to analyze and decide how things need to be handled. Just look at any numbers you want of the Unbelievable amount of money these huge corporations are making ... Exxon made 38.3 BILLION the last Quarter, not yearly, just in 3 months. And where did that money go? Not as any amount in the form of a Bonus to the people who actually did the work. These are hard working people of good intensions struggling to make ends meet every month, while the management Stooges are saying to themselves, " I'm a superior and intelligent person of arrogance and I need to be rewarded highly, compared to these regular people doing the grunt work."
This is what insanity is= A Planet where certain people get to rule over others with ZERO empathy, instead of treating others as equals and wanting the best for them to get through this tough life.

I disagree. I worked for Fortune 500 companies (Owens Corning, McDonnell Douglas). Just because you have a PHD and are sitting behind a mahogany desk in an Ivory Tower, shouldn't give you the right to make 200 times more than the people who actually make it possible for the company to exist. If they have had enough of being Corporate Debt Slaves, they can strike. There is an overwhelming amount of people in management in most companies doing very little. It only takes a handful of people to analyze and decide how things need to be handled. Just look at any numbers you want of the Unbelievable amount of money these huge corporations are making ... Exxon made 38.3 BILLION the last Quarter, not yearly, just in 3 months. And where did that money go? Not as any amount in the form of a Bonus to the people who actually did the work. These are hard working people of good intensions struggling to make ends meet every month, while the management Stooges are saying to themselves, " I'm a superior and intelligent person of arrogance and I need to be rewarded highly, compared to these regular people doing the grunt work."
This is what insanity is= A Planet where certain people get to rule over others with ZERO empathy, instead of treating others as equals and wanting the best for them to get through this tough
Actually ExxonMobile had after tax net earnings (profit) of $11.4 billion for the most recent quarter (q1 2023) not 38.3 billion of which $8.1 billion was returned to shareholders (many of which are union pension funds ironically enough). FWIW neither the current CEO, Darren Woods or the previous CEO, Rex Tillerson have PHD’s. In fact Tillerson doesn’t even have an MBA.

Actually ExxonMobile had after tax net earnings (profit) of $11.4 billion for the most recent quarter (q1 2023) not 38.3 billion of which $8.1 billion was returned to shareholders (many of which are union pension funds ironically enough). FWIW neither the current CEO, Darren Woods or the previous CEO, Rex Tillerson have PHD’s. In fact Tillerson doesn’t even have an MBA.
sorry, I meant to say JP Morgan/ Chase bank made those profits.

sorry, I meant to say JP Morgan/ Chase bank made those profits.
Respectfully, your numbers are still incorrect. Your 38.3 billion dollar number is before expenses and provision for credit losses. Actual net income (profit) for the quarter was $12.6 billion. Still a tidy sum but a far cry from 38.3 billion.

Respectfully, your numbers are still incorrect. Your 38.3 billion dollar number is before expenses and provision for credit losses. Actual net income (profit) for the quarter was $12.6 billion. Still a tidy sum but a far cry from 38.3 billion.
Yep, I just got those numbers off a an article, so those expenses were not mentioned. Still is a staggering amount of money for just 3 MONTHS :eek: not millions but BILLIONS

I'm generally pro-labor and don't have a specific problem with this potential strike. I or others I know will be impacted if it happens in several ways:

1. Delays in shipments to me during the strike
2. Reduced availability of products in stores that depend on UPS deliveries; backlog will probably take 2 days to clear for every day of strike
3. Increased shipping costs in the future after they settle; not just for UPS but it will propagate to FEDEX etc. (keeping up with the Joneses)
4. Possible problems with critical shipments. For one example, when I worked for a clinical trials central laboratory, UPS was the primary shipper for US-based shipments. These are blood and other biological samples that need to get to the lab for testing within typically 48 hours. Delays make the samples unusable; the patients depending on the results for treatment oversight will be put at risk; loss of such samples may make the trial sponsor (drug company) need to enroll new patients which could add months or years to an ongoing trial. There are backup shipment scenarios, but it's a serious thing if UPS effectively shuts down for days or weeks.

Generally speaking --and for reference, I'm a "white collar worker"-- the pay gap between white and blue collar workers in this country has gotten insane. My views on the politics behind this are out of scope for this forum, but I support the UPS workers in their quest for an increase. Generally speaking, I support a substantial increase in minimum wage and a scaling up of wages in general for the working class. I understand this will cost me $ both in product and service purchases, and generally speaking some impacts that could mean higher taxes for me.

This is what insanity is= A Planet where certain people get to rule over others with ZERO empathy, instead of treating others as equals and wanting the best for them to get through this tough life.
I agree with you 100%
Im not sure what the exact numbers were but i can tell you ever since the pandemic UPS has profited and UPS workers didn’t see non it. The shareholders pockets just got bigger.

I used to work for a European based company. The Company took care of us, so we were happy to take care of our Customers and the Customers were happy to take care of the Company. Everybody won. Then we were bought by an American Corporation, everything changed. All the Corp cares about is stockholders. I never understood the need for unions until this.

At the same time, I have also worked a company that was union for a short period of time. As has been said, the union was more interested in dues coming in than allowing the lazy or incompetent to be released. There is bad on both sides.

Keep in mind that corporations will not lose profit. If the union is successful in their bullying, the increased cost will be passed to the end user. The little guy will inevitably pay the price.

At what point are union dues a benefit to the members more than a benefit to a political party and it's agendas?
There's way more to it than collective bargaining and contract negotiations.
Follow the money.
Management/ownership will usually take full advantage of workers and literally work them to death if they can get away with it. Union leadership will line their pockets as much as possible if they can get away with it.

Unchallenged power, no matter who has it or what their agenda is, will lead to abuses. Right now, I think most companies have too much power in relation to their workers. When the pendulum shifts the other way (and it will...eventually), the collective bargining powers will need to be challenged as well.

At what point are union dues a benefit to the members more than a benefit to a political party and it's agendas?
There's way more to it than collective bargaining and contract negotiations.
Follow the money.
I thought the dues that is paid by union members is contributed to their pension. I could be wrong.
I would say that is a benefit.

I agree with you 100%
Im not sure what the exact numbers were but i can tell you ever since the pandemic UPS has profited and UPS workers didn’t see non it. The shareholders pockets just got bigger.
Why do people think they are entitled to profits from a company they work for? Because they did really well that quarter ? Unless you have a deal in place the only thing you are “entitled” to would be the sum of money you are currently agreeing to work for.

Latest posts

Back