X-20 Dynasoar Project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAviator

Reaction score
I've begun modeling work on an X-20 Dynasoar model for entry into NAR concept scale events. My goal is to build a model large enough such that I can fly this on a 2-motor cluster of 24mm CTI composite motors (probably E31s, but maybe a pair of F30s) and have elevator/aileron radio control on the glider.

To that end, I've modeled the basic X-20 in solidworks at 1:12 scale, but ultimately, I can scale it up or down depending on what size I want to end up at.

Mock-up 2.png

Mock-up.jpg

Last edited:
Which version of the booster are you going to use with the X-20?

John Boren

Right now, I'm thinking Titan II. I abhor clear fins, and the concept drawings of the Titan III/X-20 don't show aerodynamic fins. I also like the paint scheme used to the Gemini Launch Vehicle, so that is my current preference. By the same token, I could do a 4-motor cluster in a Titan-III vehicle. Hmmmmm... Right now, the goal is to get a flying X-20.

You most likely already have these, but just in case here's some X-20 stuff.

John Boren

dstitan3.jpg

dstitan3a.jpg

titan II PLAN0002.jpg

sdwg1ani-BW.jpg

I've got a similar picture of the Titan III/X-20 concept from Sandman that shows the fin configuration.

x20early.jpg

I made a Titan III/X-20 model similar to the concept in the "Spaceship Handbook" using the Estes Titan IIIc kit that I found on e-bay and the Sandman's X-20 kit. It has clear plastic fins in removable tubes placed in the outer SRB's and flies on a single D12 24 mm motor.

IMG_0510.jpgIMG_0517.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0627_1.jpgIMG_0628_1.jpg

Did up a quick foam-board outline for the boilerplating and pilot type familiarization training. I'm going to put together a simple booster so that I can fly it on some D12 and E9 motors. Not entirely sure what the all-up weight is going to be, but I'm shooting for ~4oz for the prototype. Should put it on par with space shuttle glide characteristics.

After I prove out the design, I'll be happy to release the foam board plans to anyone who would like one.

Foamie Parts.jpg

Back