• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

X-20 Dynasoar Project

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheAviator

Reaction score
I've begun modeling work on an X-20 Dynasoar model for entry into NAR concept scale events. My goal is to build a model large enough such that I can fly this on a 2-motor cluster of 24mm CTI composite motors (probably E31s, but maybe a pair of F30s) and have elevator/aileron radio control on the glider.

To that end, I've modeled the basic X-20 in solidworks at 1:12 scale, but ultimately, I can scale it up or down depending on what size I want to end up at.

Mock-up 2.png

Mock-up.jpg

Last edited:
Which version of the booster are you going to use with the X-20?

John Boren

Right now, I'm thinking Titan II. I abhor clear fins, and the concept drawings of the Titan III/X-20 don't show aerodynamic fins. I also like the paint scheme used to the Gemini Launch Vehicle, so that is my current preference. By the same token, I could do a 4-motor cluster in a Titan-III vehicle. Hmmmmm... Right now, the goal is to get a flying X-20.

You most likely already have these, but just in case here's some X-20 stuff.

John Boren

dstitan3.jpg

dstitan3a.jpg

titan II PLAN0002.jpg

sdwg1ani-BW.jpg

I've got a similar picture of the Titan III/X-20 concept from Sandman that shows the fin configuration.

x20early.jpg

I made a Titan III/X-20 model similar to the concept in the "Spaceship Handbook" using the Estes Titan IIIc kit that I found on e-bay and the Sandman's X-20 kit. It has clear plastic fins in removable tubes placed in the outer SRB's and flies on a single D12 24 mm motor.

IMG_0510.jpgIMG_0517.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0627_1.jpgIMG_0628_1.jpg

Did up a quick foam-board outline for the boilerplating and pilot type familiarization training. I'm going to put together a simple booster so that I can fly it on some D12 and E9 motors. Not entirely sure what the all-up weight is going to be, but I'm shooting for ~4oz for the prototype. Should put it on par with space shuttle glide characteristics.

After I prove out the design, I'll be happy to release the foam board plans to anyone who would like one.

Foamie Parts.jpg

Back