Wildman Wild Child & DarkStar 'mini's all glass are here!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I name the manufacturer of the 38mm?

My first impression is Rouse-Tech, but the closures don't look exactly right. It isn't a Dr Rocket, and is is definitely not Aerotech, so since there are no snap rings, I'm back to Rouse-Tech.

Am I close?

G.D.

Oh, and the DarkStar Mini is on my Christmas wish list, and if it fails to show, my end-of-year bonus should almost cover the rocket and the slimline tailcone retainer.

Last edited:
casing reads; 'monster motors reusable rocket hardware' mfg by rousetech'. the wildman assembled it. presumably he got the right parts for the casing :).

It's a Rouse 38/240 casing. It looks just fine to me.

although I haven't had the time to do more than look at it...bear in mind that mine may be an early version and what I've noticed may not be applicable to all kits. that said, my early observations I have noticed a few things that may bother some folks. the nose on mine(looks like it could give flying through a brick wall a good shot :)), has a pronounced mold line, and is not quite the right size for the body tube. the base of the nose (where it meets the bt) is approx 1/16" larger in dia than the bt.(the shoulder also needed a smidge of sanding to fit in the tube...but then a lot of noses require a bit of work to fit properly :)). I mention this not as a complaint, merely to inform.
rex

That's very common with the fiberglass nosecones. The gelcoat sands very easily. You'll have it fitting properly and looking good in just a few minutes. :)

oh I know that gel coats sand easily :) (I've done several fiberglass rc race boat hulls). figured I ought to mention it for those unfamiler with 'glass.

the nose on mine(looks like it could give flying through a brick wall a good shot :)), has a pronounced mold line, and is not quite the right size for the body tube.

rex

It is a Von Karmen NC. No other kits I know of come with these high performance beauties.

The NC was molded from the Mongoose 38 with the metal tip. There is a mold line where the metal met the glass. Actually makes painting the tip another color a breeze.

Yes the NC is a little "thicker" than the body tube. This is because the tubes are light weight and thinner than the standard 38mm tube.This does 2 things, gives you a kit that flies on smaller motors and is more reasonably priced. Another mold made just for these would be unjustified and very pricey.

If it really bothers anyone that much, a few minutes of sanding will bring the taper down to meet the tube.

+1. We build rockets. We don't just assemble them. A little bit of hand fitting shouldn't bother any of us.

+2! Absolutely! Why I didn't mind at all needing to widen the fin slots on my DSL..Gave me a challenge and an excuse to use one of my 2 power tools!:roll:

TIL: you can build a Mini DarkStar with foam and CA, and fly it successfully on a CTI I243. Same goes for the Wild Child on the 6GXL Skid. Needs a longer 29mm motor...

IMG_1953.jpg

Just finished my Mini Darkstar-- 14.4 oz. without paint. This thing is gunna RIP!!!

I did a combo of epoxy and foam- I used 5 min epoxy instaed of CA.

The next time I will have a chance to fly will be Dec 11th, Tracker in hand a "the biggest motor that will fit in the pipe"

I will post results.

TIL: you can build a Mini DarkStar with foam and CA, and fly it successfully on a CTI I243. Same goes for the Wild Child on the 6GXL Skid. Needs a longer 29mm motor...

I love liftoff shots where the flame is longer than the rocket! :D

I flew the DS on a F-24-7 today it was a hoot!
Tomorrow the Wild Child on a CTI 24mm 3grain F -79 smoky & a altimeter .

Flew the V-max F-240 in an Estes V-2 today it was GONE in a blink. The highest flight one of these has ever seen on a 24mm

64lbs of thrust in a 1 lb rocket .....BRUTAL it was hilarious watching the crowd reaction to this motor. It scares me to think of sticking one in a 'MINI" tracker is a must! It's like a Warp -9 for 24mm motor tubes only 'mo better!

You GOT to try some of these 24mm in the mini's they are the BOMB!

If you fly any of the 6 grain G's 24mm, you will throw out your AT hobby line stuff and never fly a G-80 again.
The G-150 blue's are just plain KILLER!

AND no more copper heads, they all [CTI's] come with e-match and BP pellets in the motor.

work procedes apace. it did take a bit to make the tools though :). almost ready for a final sanding before primer. black rod is my handy dandy launch lug alignment tool aka graphite arrow shaft. nose cone is waiting for colour coat :).
rex

wldchld 001.jpg

I'm going to foam up a Wildchild while on the field at CATO this saturday...should be fun!

"mini me....you complete me"

Exactly! When I saw the Wildman email stating "sweet" deal on the Wild Child, only one thing came to mind: G&R Whooooaaaaaa Sweet Child of Mine!

11-15-10053-1.jpg

DSC01115.jpg

-Eric-

That is cute .
It looks like you have a true wild child on your hands, man has he gotten big Eric.
The Sweet deal is now available with the Mini Dark Star also.
The first run is out and we have a few on back order but more are coming in early next week.
They even emptied the 24" diameter spool of Kevlar.
Tim

Oh sure Tim, he paints his yellow and you give him a compliment-Jim and I paint ours yellow and we get stop sign parachutes!!

Looks cool Eric.

well mine is ready to fly :). at the moment my only (minor) grumble is that it picks up a charge (and DUST), guess I'll have to give it a rubdown with a dryer sheet...Bounce would seem appropriate :).
rex

wilddone 001.JPG

Hey,

Anyone able to figure out why the roc-sim file for the darkstar mini shows the C/G at the shoulder of the nosecone???

I don't think Jim added THAT much nose weight!!

My guess is who ever did the file used the mass override function to enter the total weight rather than the individual parts. That's the way it shows up when the MO is used.

My guess is who ever did the file used the mass override function to enter the total weight rather than the individual parts. That's the way it shows up when the MO is used.

without going in and fixing every parts weight... is ther an easy one click fix??

That is cute .
It looks like you have a true wild child on your hands, man has he gotten big Eric.
The Sweet deal is now available with the Mini Dark Star also.
The first run is out and we have a few on back order but more are coming in early next week.
They even emptied the 24" diameter spool of Kevlar.
Tim

Oh sure Tim, he paints his yellow and you give him a compliment-Jim and I paint ours yellow and we get stop sign parachutes!!

Looks cool Eric.
The wild children go well together .
How did you get a stop sign parachute?.
I should have a new roc sim file for the minis with in a couple weeks.
Tim

I didn't get my stopsign chute yet. Gary said it would take some time to make. I'm still trying to decide if I am going to get one for my Extreme Darkstar.

Tim, Mike, Jason,

Thanks for the compliments; means a lot coming from gents who do such exemplary work themselves!:)

-Eric-

Well it was fun while it lasted...

Built Crazy Jim Style

Rock Star Red/Fine Wine fade with Stickershock's finest

F30 CTI off the pad, turned in just the wrong way.

Happily nesting about 80' up

Well it was fun while it lasted...

Built Crazy Jim Style

Rock Star Red/Fine Wine fade with Stickershock's finest

F30 CTI off the pad, turned in just the wrong way.

Happily nesting about 80' up

Was the flight straight??
I flew 3 "F"s and it seemed like it needed more power.
Did yours seem the same?

Back