WildMan dual deploy option for DarkStar-WildChild- EagleClaw mini's...interested?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackjack2564

Crazy Jim's Gone Banana's
Reaction score
Jason is running a poll on adding a dual-deploy option for all the Mini's Wildman sells. The "Wild Child" "DarkStar mini" " mini Eagle Claw" all 38 mm light weight airframes with 29mm motor mounts

It would not effect the original kit or price, but would be an add on for those wanting an introduction to dual deploy inexpensively.
This would be a coupler/av-bay...Bulkplates, rivets & payload section. Anything else he can tell us.

This would allow you to learn dual-deploy very economically. You can still fly them on G-s all the way up to I's and save yourself a looong walk.

Instructions with pictures would be provided for a step by step build your way to DD!

So what say YOU?
Any questions or thoughts...post away. Then visit here to vote:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?48987-Wildman-Mini-s-Dual-Deploy-Option

If there is enough feed back/interest, I can guarantee you will see this added to the website.:dark:

BE SURE TO ADD YOUR VOTE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!>.....................................................

Last edited:
I would be! Where I fly, anything over 1000 feet without DD makes me uneasy.

I'll go first: [edit....guess ya beat me LOL!]

I think it a great idea and would add one to mine.
Any kind of ballpark on the price, this would be the driving force for me.
How much weight would it add?
What would it include?
Again some type of ball park figure would be a great help.

Maybe a "special" to introduce it for all those already out there.

Last edited:
Figures. I just bought some tubing so I could use a cable cutter on my wild child. this should be an easy intro to dual deploy for me.

I think it's an excellent option. So I did it myself:

Even Gene
Even Gene galler.jpg

Ordered another length of airframe from Tim, and used a small section of couple I already had. The 38mm Featherweight AV bay is perfect for this. I also made my own fins, but that's just me. I love this rocket and it's one of my favorite flyers. Highly recommend doing DD mini's for anyone out there - much more fun/challenge for the money (both to build and fly).

s6

I think it's an excellent option. So I did it myself:

Even Gene
View attachment 116956

Ordered another length of airframe from Tim, and used a small section of couple I already had. The 38mm Featherweight AV bay is perfect for this. I also made my own fins, but that's just me. I love this rocket and it's one of my favorite flyers. Highly recommend doing DD mini's for anyone out there - much more fun/challenge for the money (both to build and fly).

s6

Do the Featherweight AV bays work with other brands of altimeters?

Oh yeah, concerning weight/mass. I've also got a "normal" WildChild. The descent mass -including motor casing, recovery, and (in the case of the DD rocket) altimeter - of each of these is as follows:

Regular - 510 grams
DD - 608 grams

s6

I would have "likely" bought the DD version of the Wild Child.

Since I have a "standard" Wild Child, I would also consider buying a DD "upgrade" kit for it.

Greg

I would have "likely" bought the DD version of the Wild Child.

Since I have a "standard" Wild Child, I would also consider buying a DD "upgrade" kit for it.

Greg
I still have yet another one in the build pile..I actually asked CJ to find out about this in a PM for parts I bought from him. 'Bout time, eh?? Sign me up already- I haven't cut the bulkheads yet and this saves me time.

IMO, if you are just learning dual deploy, it's a lot easier with a larger diameter airframe. Prepping a 38 mm airframe can be quite finicky :)

IMO, if you are just learning dual deploy, it's a lot easier with a larger diameter airframe. Prepping a 38 mm airframe can be quite finicky :)

ok, this is an excellent point and something I'm trying to figure out now. 38mm is too small to use terminal blocks on, so how do you connect the ignitors to the electronics and make it easily connectible?

also, how do you manage power? the altimeter vent holes are too small to run the wires out of for the twist and tape approach.

these are two issues I'm currently struggling with.

If you don't mind spending a bit of cash, look at the Raven/av-bay kits from Featherweight. Avionics simplified and stuffed into a 38mm coupler.

G.D.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

doesn't that only work with the raven?

imo, the appeal of dual deploy for the minis is the use of an inexpensive altimeter, like the adept22.

ok, this is an excellent point and something I'm trying to figure out now. 38mm is too small to use terminal blocks on, so how do you connect the ignitors to the electronics and make it easily connectible?

also, how do you manage power? the altimeter vent holes are too small to run the wires out of for the twist and tape approach.

these are two issues I'm currently struggling with.

1 quarter inch hole vents the av bay and is enough to feed twist and tuck. That's how I have my Blackhawk 38 set up. 9v battery and alt will fit and skip the terminal blocks, there is no room for that. Just drill small holes in the bulk plate to run the wires and seal them up with that blue sticky tack putty each flight .

It is available!:D So says Guru Tim here..$22.50 for the add on..Pretty awesome deal, me thinks:clap:

Back