Why do restaurant waiters suddenly use "we" when they mean "you?"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought this was just a US phenomenon. And then...... the waitress asked what we would be drinking. I said I knew what my wife and I were having, but wasn't sure what she liked ( sic ).........

Some people need to take it easy. I mean who gives a (%#@%#%) if they say 'we'.
Get a grip. JMO
I have a grip. A firm grip on the English language. Firm enough to be annoyed by such abuse of it, and also enough of a grip on my emotions to only a little annoyed.

I have a grip. A firm grip on the English language. Firm enough to be annoyed by such abuse of it, and also enough of a grip on my emotions to only a little annoyed.
If they/them can't get the little things right, what makes we/us think they/them can get the big things right? 🤣🤣🤣

It's supposed to. It has the double advantages of being gender neutral and reflecting the ideal behavior for the being that takes the order, brings the food, checks on satisfaction, etc. Pure and flawless function, no personality. Perfection.

It's supposed to. It has the double advantages of being gender neutral and reflecting the ideal behavior for the being that takes the order, brings the food, checks on satisfaction, etc. Pure and flawless function, no personality. Perfection.

This is what I did when I was a waiter. No small talk, but I wanted to meet everyones needs at my table. I had 1 complaint to a manager that I wasn't fun enough. I asked her if their was something about their meal I missed or they needed and she said "no, the table just said you weren't fun." Oh well. Most people didn't go to Olive Garden for fun. I had a table of regulars who were local judges and asked for me every Saturday. They wanted their meal a certain way and wanted to be left alone to discuss whatever business they had. I was happy to oblige and they always tipped well for it.

Latest posts

Back