Why do my cameras keep failing?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porkchap

Reaction score
Capturing onboard video footage is one of the most satisfying parts of the hobby for me, but it has proven to be most elusive. I use the latest 808 keychain cams and a mobius mini, properly formatted, and with the sd cards secured with CA gel. The mini was most consistent but failed on its last two flights. I think it's compromised. I used an 808 on this flight Saturday- my Hyper54 on a K711 to 13,500' and would have captured breathtaking views to the west of the setting sun.

The camera was rolling before liftoff, and rolling when I recovered it. But the video file stopped about 10 seconds before liftoff. This happens about 50% of the time. The thing still works. I take it out in the yard and toss it high in the air and let it fall to the ground. Records every time. But something happens during flight that destroys the video file. Any suggestions?

IMG-5272.jpg
Here's how it was attached. Electrical tape covered the ports before flight.

liftoff.jpg
Was it the 30 G's of acceleration? Touchdown?

If you can afford this, you might be able to afford a better camera than an 808.

Also see this

https://chucklohr.com/808/C16/
Well, most of them start to get too big and clunky for this rocket and even my 2.6 inch “Super Pike“ with the 54mm mount. That’s really the only reason I don’t use them on smaller rockets.
I’ve got another Mobius mini on order. I think that one was internally damaged when I had that partial shred midflight. Before that, it worked 100% of the time. But again, it is tricky mounting that without some huge camera shroud.

You said that it stopped 10 seconds before liftoff. Is that consistently the case? If so, that seems to imply that the issue has nothing to do with the camera experiencing excessive gees.
I know RunCams often have issues with shut off due to overheating. Perhaps something similar is happening here?

You said that it stopped 10 seconds before liftoff. Is that consistently the case? If so, that seems to imply that the issue has nothing to do with the camera experiencing excessive gees.
I know RunCams often have issues with shut off due to overheating. Perhaps something similar is happening here?
That is often the case or there is no file there at all. But previous files will still be on the card sometimes.

I don’t think overheating was the issue. It was turned on and maybe one minute passed before liftoff. Plus, it was on the shady side of the rocket and there was a breeze blowing.

Continuous record, Clip length, Cheap memory card, Temperature, Battery. One of those. Have you been through the full configuration? Could also be the contacts in the camera for the card.
Full configuration list is on GitHub

Last edited:
see updated previous post.
most likely is
Movie cycle time=[1];movie cycle time,0:5 minutes,1:20 minutes,2:40 minutes,3: 70 minutes,
and or
movie Loop Recording=[0];set loop recording on or off
I'm familiar with those settings. I'm not understanding where a problem could be. Should I shorten clip length? Make them longer? Do continuous?

If you set to loop recording on. you get the full memory capacity from sd card but run the risk of overwriting. If you set it to a time, then you should set a countdown timer on your phone when you switch on recording so you know how long you have left before stopping recording.
Make sure you have a memory card with sufficient capacity.
Check what the settings are currently. Movie cycle time set to 0? 5 mins is not long when you're waiting to launch.
Also make sure auto power off is set to 0.

You should get 30-40 minutes of recording depending on the specific model and the battery size if your card has enough space. Battery problems are common in my experience, so if you're not getting that long, you may need to replace the battery. Try testing in a controlled environment.

I rather doubt that these cameras were intended for use in a high sound level environment , they might just be shaking apart

I rather doubt that these cameras were intended for use in a high sound level environment , they might just be shaking apart
I think this is likely the problem. I fly 54mm and 2.6" rockets on K and L motors. So low-profile protuberances are important. But this limits my options for downward facing cameras. The Mobius Mini worked every time until a partial shred subjected it to extreme forces and it hasn't worked since. I have a replacement ordered, but it likely won't be here in time for December's launch.

I had a few of these 808 #32's in stock, but haven't used them in a while due to their unreliability. I thought maybe securing the SD card with CA gel would help. This last flight hit Mach 1.51, flew to almost three miles, and landed on the camera. The record light was still flashing, but alas, no video file.
image_6487327.JPGimage_6487327 (2).JPG

I think this is likely the problem. I fly 54mm and 2.6" rockets on K and L motors. So low-profile protuberances are important. But this limits my options for downward facing cameras. The Mobius Mini worked every time until a partial shred subjected it to extreme forces and it hasn't worked since. I have a replacement ordered, but it likely won't be here in time for December's launch.

I had a few of these 808 #32's in stock, but haven't used them in a while due to their unreliability. I thought maybe securing the SD card with CA gel would help. This last flight hit Mach 1.51, flew to almost three miles, and landed on the camera. The record light was still flashing, but alas, no video file.
View attachment 616846View attachment 616847
Do not use any cyano glue near electrical contacts. The fumes deposit themselves and insulate. I think that may be one of your issues. Bad contacts on memory card due to cyano fume deposits.

Do not use any cyano glue near electrical contacts. The fumes deposit themselves and insulate. I think that may be one of your issues. Bad contacts on memory card due to cyano fume deposits.
You should get 30-40 minutes of recording depending on the specific model and the battery size if your card has enough space. Battery problems are common in my experience, so if you're not getting that long, you may need to replace the battery. Try testing in a controlled environment.

Does nobody read posts before they respond? It recorded before and after the flight and records now. If the card is installed, the contact is already made and is now permanent - extremely unlikely anything is getting between that contact. And it's not the battery because, as I posted, the camera was still running when I recovered it and would record post-flight. The issues are occurring ONLY DURING FLIGHT.

Capturing onboard video footage is one of the most satisfying parts of the hobby for me, but it has proven to be most elusive. I use the latest 808 keychain cams and a mobius mini, properly formatted, and with the sd cards secured with CA gel. The mini was most consistent but failed on its last two flights. I think it's compromised. I used an 808 on this flight Saturday- my Hyper54 on a K711 to 13,500' and would have captured breathtaking views to the west of the setting sun.

The camera was rolling before liftoff, and rolling when I recovered it. But the video file stopped about 10 seconds before liftoff. This happens about 50% of the time. The thing still works. I take it out in the yard and toss it high in the air and let it fall to the ground. Records every time. But something happens during flight that destroys the video file. Any suggestions?

View attachment 616377
Here's how it was attached. Electrical tape covered the ports before flight.

View attachment 616378
Was it the 30 G's of acceleration? Touchdown?
I started flying 808's many years ago. If, for any reason, the battery wasn't consistent, I would lose the file, as I believe the EOF data was not saved. I have recovered data by cloning the chip and editing the file header in a hex editor. If there is data on the drive, clone it and work with the clone of the data, not the chip itself.

I was able to recover this video after the rocket submerged in water, even though the camera was dead and the proper file header etc., said I lost the video. Will it work for you - no clue, but we both know that video was lost to most people after the rocket went underwater. . . Almost in the broccoli, but managed to find water. . .

Does nobody read posts before they respond? It recorded before and after the flight and records now. If the card is installed, the contact is already made and is now permanent - extremely unlikely anything is getting between that contact. And it's not the battery because, as I posted, the camera was still running when I recovered it and would record post-flight. The issues are occurring ONLY DURING FLIGHT.
If the card moved even slightly, it would now be on a new part of the contact area. Possibly covered in CA offgassing. But if you're going to get snarky to people atrempting to assist you, you can be assured I won't be assisting moving forward.

If the card moved even slightly, it would now be on a new part of the contact area. Possibly covered in CA offgassing. But if you're going to get snarky to people atrempting to assist you, you can be assured I won't be assisting moving forward.
Oh noes!

I would definitely move away from the 808 camera with the Runcam more reliable, and GoPro the most reliable.

Probably best not to suggest expensive cameras to PorkChap if he's going to SUPERGLUE the SD cards in. Which he didn't mention. There might be a bunch of other things he's forgotten to mention too.

I have a Runcam 2 that does this exact same thing. I have it mounted on a 2.6" dia rocket. If I fly a weak motor it will stop recording when the ejection charge goes off. If I fly on a motor that kicks more off the pad it quits recording at ignition. In either case the camera is still on and reports it is recording when I reconnect to it after landing. The video stops at the shock from ignition or recovery every time. I've tried different batteries and different SD cards but no difference. It's going in the trash.

I should mention this camera worked fine before it had a ballistic recovery. I don't think this is a defective Runcam but instead caused by the idiot user.

Last edited:
I have a Runcam 2 that does this exact same thing. I have it mounted on a 2.6" dia rocket. If I fly a weak motor it will stop recording when the ejection charge goes off. If I fly on a motor that kicks more off the pad it quits recording at ignition. In either case the camera is still on and reports its recording when I reconnect to it after landing. The video always stops at the shock from ignition or recovery every time. I've tried different batteries and different SD cards but no difference. It's going in the trash.

I should mention this camera worked fine before it had a ballistic recovery. I don't think this is a defective Runcam but instead caused by the idiot user.
Ballistic recovery is never fun; try a firmware update if you haven't in a while. The new firmware fixed a lot of my problems.

Back