Who Used Chute Release for L1, L2, or L3?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Mach_Seven

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Here's my L1 3" Iris on an I280 for cert 1. The onboard has the JLCR front and center all the way until release.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
Got my L1 on May 15, '21 on an "own design"* with an H128.

pad1.jpg

Followed by my L2 on August 21, '21. Again own design (a stretched version of L1 rocket) on a J270. Never would have gotten it back w/o JLCR; it simmed to over 6K.

L2pad.jpg
l2recovery.jpg

* L1 was done with a 20 year old rocket. I just realized the casing used was brand new, and was also 20 years old. Yeah, I waited a bit.

DarthMuffin

Reaction score
I did my L2 cert flight in October with a Chute Release. 4in Wildman Gizmo, J430, 4300ft. 48" BAMA NASA-type chute. The chute release slipped off at apogee, but I still certed. Did another flight that weekend and had people double check the chute release setup. It still slipped off at apogee and this time either it didn't release as well, or maybe it did release but just didn't come loose because of no tension. Not sure whether to give up on this thing or try different bands.

Last edited:

Tractionengines

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Sep. 19, 2021. Used JLCR for L1 on a 60" Rocketman Chute to bring down a 3" LOC Cyclotron. ( Band was elastic hair tie. )

6inchmonster

Reaction score
I fly large rockets and motors fairly extensively. I have several chute releases and like them, but I have mostly phased them out on the larger flights. They are a great tool! For 1"-3" rockets staying mostly visible, they help speed flight prep and recovery tremendously. However for larger rockets and out-of-sight flights, I keep having failures that are getting more and more costly. "More" ground "testing" may be in order, but seems a bit futile when it consists primarily of shaking a bundle of cloth around with your arm.

Keeping fresh rubber bands on hand and only using them for a flight or two may help. But for bigger/faster/higher flights it is tough to beat shear pins and black powder.