Who Used Chute Release for L1, L2, or L3?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my L1 on May 15, '21 on an "own design"* with an H128.

pad1.jpg

Followed by my L2 on August 21, '21. Again own design (a stretched version of L1 rocket) on a J270. Never would have gotten it back w/o JLCR; it simmed to over 6K.

L2pad.jpgl2recovery.jpg

* L1 was done with a 20 year old rocket. I just realized the casing used was brand new, and was also 20 years old. Yeah, I waited a bit.

I did my L2 cert flight in October with a Chute Release. 4in Wildman Gizmo, J430, 4300ft. 48" BAMA NASA-type chute. The chute release slipped off at apogee, but I still certed. Did another flight that weekend and had people double check the chute release setup. It still slipped off at apogee and this time either it didn't release as well, or maybe it did release but just didn't come loose because of no tension. Not sure whether to give up on this thing or try different bands.

Last edited:
I fly large rockets and motors fairly extensively. I have several chute releases and like them, but I have mostly phased them out on the larger flights. They are a great tool! For 1"-3" rockets staying mostly visible, they help speed flight prep and recovery tremendously. However for larger rockets and out-of-sight flights, I keep having failures that are getting more and more costly. "More" ground "testing" may be in order, but seems a bit futile when it consists primarily of shaking a bundle of cloth around with your arm.

Keeping fresh rubber bands on hand and only using them for a flight or two may help. But for bigger/faster/higher flights it is tough to beat shear pins and black powder.

Thanks! I‘m in GA. It was 26 degrees when we started set up at 7 this morning.

The club has a pole that’s extendable to 45 feet. Sometimes the rockets are easy to get, sometimes they’re a lot of work. Mine wasn’t too bad as it was only about 20 feet up.

I like the look of that rocket. I like transitions.View attachment 449625
Pole info. Ours is 23ft. Would be interested to see yours

I used a Chute Release for my L2. Peak altitude was about 3,000 feet on a clear day. I do see your point if you are having failures with expensive rockets.

I did my L2 cert flight in October with a Chute Release. 4in Wildman Gizmo, J430, 4300ft. 48" BAMA NASA-type chute. The chute release slipped off at apogee, but I still certed. Did another flight that weekend and had people double check the chute release setup. It still slipped off at apogee and this time either it didn't release as well, or maybe it did release but just didn't come loose because of no tension. Not sure whether to give up on this thing or try different bands.
I switched to useing elastic in place of rubber band. Either way the band needs to be tight. I use mine a lot and am having very good results. I like useing 3/4" elastic which makes it very easy to adjust.

I have had good luck with the Jolly Logic Chute Release. A member of my club has not.
What other brands of chute releases are there?
What is the difference between an elastic and a rubber band? I thought they were the same thing?
Someone in my club started using those things that people use to tie their hair. I think they are called a Scrunchie.

I have had good luck with the Jolly Logic Chute Release. A member of my club has not.
What other brands of chute releases are there?
What is the difference between an elastic and a rubber band? I thought they were the same thing?
Someone in my club started using those things that people use to tie their hair. I think they are called a Scrunchie.
That scrncii guy would be me :) I've had some mixed results but it usually works ok! It certainly worked well for my L1...

Last edited:
The Scrunchie is a big improvement over a rubber band. It's one of those ideas that make you ask yourself, "Now why didn't I think of that." The rubber band gets all bunched up and if you pull it to tight, it breaks. John Beans, take note.

I used my chute release for my L2 at Red Glare a few weeks ago. I have used hair ties every time with my two JLCRs and had no problems with it across 3 rockets and 11 flights so far. I did forget to turn it on for another flight, but that's obviously user error.

Slow-mo video:
View attachment PXL_20220402_135613269.mp4
PXL_20220402_140533867.jpg
Sim said about 3000' on the J270W I used.

Attachments

• PXL_20220402_135613269.mp4
    42.9 MB
Looks like DeltaVee and jmasterj are on to something. Good job!

Last edited:
Level 2 achieved on 30 July 22. I flew a 4” LOC Goblin on an AT J340M. I had an Eggfinder TX and Quantum mounted in the nose cone. The Quantum controlled ejection at Apogee and the Jolly Logic Chute release was set at 600’. Apogee was at 3907’. I also used a motor backup. Picture below and you can see a video I put together here. Almost missed the chute being released. The sun was so bright hard to keep the descending rocket on screen.

As an aside I used the chute release 5 times that day and it worked flawlessly each time. In fact, I’ve never had a failure and didn’t hesitate to use it for my certification flight. Band was a silicone band I got off Amazon. Thanks John!
A8DC1B7B-3CE0-4526-B823-8242FE7E9DF8.jpeg

I use them in almost every rocket I can fit them into, even when the rocket is configured for traditional dual deployment. In this video you'll see where the JLCR was used to deploy a redundant main (triunal deployment).

Back