Who is excited for winter?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
of the few years I spent in Vancouver BC, I remember going skiing (Whislter / Blackcomb), then coming home to a cool-ish night, and a BBQ..

Winter gets a big 'eh' from me... Have lived in Niagara Falls NY for most of my life (except for 2 years in Texas for grad school). It's very pretty when the snow starts, but after having to clear the driveway, drive 20 miles to work through the stuff (the whole time dodging people who have forgotten how to drive), it gets pretty old pretty quick... Lake effect snow is very impressive however...

Chris

Best thing about winter is that they finally harvest the soy beans and our club can use our big farm field.

It would be so nice if the farmers didn't clutter up our rocket landing zones with acres and acres of "weeds".

If you really want to experience this phenomenon you should come to Toronto, I bet the bad drivers in your area look like pros compared to the ones up here.

the 401 handles a ton of traffic , I don't see how you guys do it in snow , early October I only had 1 brake check taking off cruise doing 90

This. Is. Awesome.

[video]https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-beaver-hall-snow-slippery-1.3881744[/video]

Edit to add, launched on Saturday, and yes there was ice on the rocket:

15327367_773088149499259_8191059715661595427_n.jpgLeviathan_SJcredit.jpg

Last edited:
This. Is. Awesome.

[video]https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/montreal-beaver-hall-snow-slippery-1.3881744[/video]

Yeah, it's been on the news here, every channel. A bit of a joke actually... And that hill is notoriously bad for that.. it's one of the steeper inclines downtown..

it's interesting to note, that sometimes the plow will go by, and make conditions worse. The plow scraps the snow away, but also smooths out the surface / fill in the depressions & such. 'Cuze, well, it's straight edge running over an undulating surface. So, this graded snow, at the right temp & consistency, then freezes to ice. Nice smooth slippery ice..

Snow showers. High 17F. Winds W at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of snow 50%. Snow accumulations less than one inch.

to windy for painting today

Anyone who has a Dodge Power Wagon would not have any issues. I would buy one but it does not come with a Cummins. :(

Winter Storm Watch for us today, 3-6" of snow predicted and a high of 19°F, low tonight and the next couple of nights near 0°F.

Today is my last day of the week at work, then I'm off again until next Thursday. I decided a few weeks ago that I would drive home to Indiana to visit my sister and her family in Crown Point for a few days as an early Christmas present. It seems to be my luck that they're expecting some deep freeze temperatures while I'm there! One of the gifts I bought for my 9 year old nephew is an Alpha III Starter Set and I was going to bring some of my models with me so we could go launch them together, but I don't think I'll be spending any more time outside than is absolutely necessary! Uncle TJ don't do cold weather very well! :no: On the plus side though, I've already purchased our tickets to go see Rogue One on Friday afternoon! :headbang:

We got a dumping Sunday night / Monday: about 15cm all in (6") City crews dispatched to clear it all up

Polar vortex is to descend upon us the next two day: expecting about -15° / -17°C (5° - 1°F)

and another 10cm (4") expected on Saturday. So much for the monthly launch day!

Like it or not, it's here.
They call it the Siberian express.
Usually doesn't happen until the end of January into mid February.
This fall, I did not see any red leaves on trees.
Learning about Michigan, and old Indian wise tails in middle school,
Indians knew how hard the winters would be by judging tree color.
Lots of red, easy winter, little or no red, stock up for cold long winter.
Every year I try to judge the winter this way, and am usually right.
I forecasted early, long, cold winter.
Everyone told me I was wrong because it stayed warm for so long this fall, and leaves stayed longer than normal.
We'll see how the rest of the winter goes.
Like it or not, it's here.
I use to enjoy walking in the woods Hunting in this weather.
Maybe, someday, if my back will ever let me, I will again.
God knows I need the exercise! And so does the dog.

I'm pumped, winter is my rocketry time. The rocket sled will be coming back soon now with an onboard camera.

I'm at home, school was cancelled due to snow/ice! So yeah, winter is pretty nice.

Seattle has pretty much the best of all of the worlds. We have a solid 4 seasons, but the temperature rarely gets below about 25, and the cold days are usually clear. Yeah, 35 and rain is really cold, but the worst rain is in November and December, so it keeps getting better through the winter. We get about one snowfall a year, usually 1-3 inches that all melts off the next day. You can find good weather for rocketry pretty much any week, although you may have to take time off since there's no daylight after work. The soccer players are all off the fields in winter, too. And on top of all of that, you can visit all the snow you want an hour's drive away. If you go 2-3 hours, you can get to world record snowfall (Mt. Baker once got 100 feet in a winter! They had to close the ski area twice to clear snow from under the chairlifts so they wouldn't be chairdrags.).

And in summer, it rarely gets over 90, and we have ~two months of reliable 75-85*, <50% humidity days 14-16 hours long.

Seattle has pretty much the best of all of the worlds. We have a solid 4 seasons, but the temperature rarely gets below about 25, and the cold days are usually clear. Yeah, 35 and rain is really cold, but the worst rain is in November and December, so it keeps getting better through the winter. We get about one snowfall a year, usually 1-3 inches that all melts off the next day. You can find good weather for rocketry pretty much any week, although you may have to take time off since there's no daylight after work. The soccer players are all off the fields in winter, too. And on top of all of that, you can visit all the snow you want an hour's drive away. If you go 2-3 hours, you can get to world record snowfall (Mt. Baker once got 100 feet in a winter! They had to close the ski area twice to clear snow from under the chairlifts so they wouldn't be chairdrags.).

And in summer, it rarely gets over 90, and we have ~two months of reliable 75-85*, <50% humidity days 14-16 hours long.

And then theres eastern Washington, hotter than hades in the summer, cold and windy in the winter, but very few rocket eating evil trees, if you have the stones for it we can fly year around.

DoE closed the Hanford site today, no work for me yay!

Last edited:
in a way im pretty geeked about winter. once christmas gets over and I can switch from making Christmas gifts to winter builds..i have some pretty cool builds going to happen. I go look at the packaging and just want to bust into them and get building, but gotta wait til dec 26th. maybe the afternoon of the 25th!
and I get to get my nieces 3 year old son out and have some like I used to. we already got a start on a snow fort and snow slide and will keep adding as we get more snow.

buuuuut my body is getting older and I wasn't the nicest to it over the years. it doesn't like the cold and tells me so.

I walked to work this am -7* and windy , transfer case is messed up on truck and didn't feel like messing with bringing car home later in am

When I was an auto body tech, we were always busy during the winter. Long hours, lots of money.
Come summer time you spent some of that money and enjoyed life a little bit.
So yea, they like it.

I've gotta believe that auto body repair shops are pretty excited about winter, especially in the southern U.S. !:drool:

I'm currently at my sisters house in northwestern Indiana, and having lived the last 18 years along the Gulf Coast, I can tell you I'm none too excited about winter right now! It's sub-freezing temperatures outside right now and there's a snow storm coming in this evening - about the time we get out of the movie theater from watching Rogue One, :cool:.

Winter = HPR for us in the farmers field of Ohio. So I'm ready for winter.

I was with a friend when he took a load of used cars up to Seattle. There was something bothering me and I couldn't figure it out. Then we went to a donut shop where it struck me what was wrong... nobody had a tan! Everyone was as pasty white as the walls of the shop. I decided right then that Seattle was not a place for me, I like the Sun too much :)

I was with a friend when he took a load of used cars up to Seattle. There was something bothering me and I couldn't figure it out. Then we went to a donut shop where it struck me what was wrong... nobody had a tan! Everyone was as pasty white as the walls of the shop. I decided right then that Seattle was not a place for me, I like the Sun too much :)

Without the Sun even at the distance of 93 million miles away, nothing lives, and we never get to see this

Back