Where I live

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkII

Reaction score
Living way out in the boonies does occasionally have its nicer moments. Here is short video clip of autumn in my 6 million acre neighborhood...

The clip was created by Vimeo member rooftopmedia.

[VIMEO]33542837[/VIMEO]

In my part of Texas, fall color means "crispy golden brown".

I had heard of wonderful fall color all my life but never had really seen any. In the fall, I was always in school. No travel=no color.

In 1995 I wanted to change that. I booked a "fall foliage" cruise on the St. Lawrence River. It was a nice cruise but the color was: crispy golden brown. They explained to us that the weather that year caused a delay in the leaves turning and, when they did turn, they went straight to brown.

I think its all a myth!

Well, chalk another one up to global warming...

When I was a kid, we had MUCH colder winters/early falls here west of Houston... I remember MANY times walking down the drive to catch the schoolbus and the puddles having a sheet of ice over them... We've seen that ONCE in the last ten years... and it's been nearly ten years since we've had a genuine ice storm through here either (though that's not a bad thing). When I was five (which would have been '76) my folks were gonna take me trick or treating, but a blue norther blew in mid-morning on Halloween and it was hovering around freezing at sundown and fell from there, so I never got to trick-r-treat as a kid since they never offered to take me again.

When I was a kid, these early frosts would hit the Chinese tallow trees that grow quite commonly here (escaped to the wild) and turn them every color you can imagine... beautiful scarlet reds, sunshine yellows, gold, bright orange, even maroonish reds, and every hue in between! I used to LOVE seeing the fall colors as a kid.

By the time I was in junior high, our winters were MUCH milder and frosts came later into November, even in December. By that time, the trees had already either dropped their leaves or they got old and turned brown from light frosts that weren't enough to bring out the brilliant colors... so fall has changed here from a colorful affair to a dull brown mess in just my lifetime.

Heck, a few years ago we didn't even get a freeze ALL WINTER LONG... a few 'frosty' mornings where it didn't even get below freezing but there was a bit of frost on the dry grass and leaves and truck windshield, but that was it. Not much even of that... I had fields with grain sorghum (which unlike corn will continue to grow after it's mowed down after harvest, even after plowing, so long as one of its fibrous roots manages to hold in the soil, even if the crown is inverted by the plow...) Usually frost will finally kill any remaining sorghum plants that escape the plow and re-volunteer in the field, but this one year (98 or 99 I think) it didn't even freeze hard enough to kill it out-- there was still volunteer sorghum growing in the fields in late January!!

There was a touch of color this year... we had a couple "fairly early" (for our standard weather pattern these days) "cold snaps"-- hardly freezes but decent frosts anyway. But, as I type this, the air conditioner is running and it bumped up against 80 degrees today... This past weekend I helped my brother prune his trees in his yard, as he has several cedars and Chinese Tallows that my Grandmother planted a half-century or so ago, that have grown to the point they're endangering the house-- he rented a cherry picker for the weekend and I acted as spotter and limb dragger for him while he ran the chainsaw in the bucket, and I stayed on the ground and darn near froze in the damp east wind coming in off the Gulf behind the cold front of a couple days earlier that saw temps down in the mid-30's overnight... :rolleyes:

If you don't like the weather in Texas-- wait 30 minutes-- it'll change... :rolleyes:

later! OL JR :)

PS. Prettiest leaves I've seen was the fall colors in the mountains of North Carolina and eastern Tennessee... :) Never been to New England... too far into Yankeeland for me... :)

I don't have a video with such spectacular colors, but I did get to fly rockets as a teen in front of the Guadalupe Mountains. Our front door had an unbroken view of this for the 4 years I lived there. On the west side of the mountains, Dell City, it was pretty much flat for ever, about 20 miles in any direction, not quit as barren or flat as Block Rock though.

The coolest thing was horizontal lightning, especially in the evening or at night. Bolts would jump between peaks, or maybe strike 2 peaks simultaneously by the same bolt, think of an upside down "Y.".

guadalupe-mountains-national-park-texas.jpg

MArkII- that was awesome! Thank you for the great footage and I really liked the music too! That should serve to others to cherish this little blue ball we all live on and realize we are stewards of something irreplaceable. Best of the Holidays to you and yours. Peace on your house.

In my part of Texas, fall color means "crispy golden brown".

I had heard of wonderful fall color all my life but never had really seen any. In the fall, I was always in school. No travel=no color.

In 1995 I wanted to change that. I booked a "fall foliage" cruise on the St. Lawrence River. It was a nice cruise but the color was: crispy golden brown. They explained to us that the weather that year caused a delay in the leaves turning and, when they did turn, they went straight to brown.

I think its all a myth!
I remember that period. One of the dullest autumns that we had in all of recent memory. The colors shown in the video are more typical. It wasn't the most spectacular autumn foliage that we have ever had; it was about average.

I remember that period. One of the dullest autumns that we had in all of recent memory. The colors shown in the video are more typical. It wasn't the most spectacular autumn foliage that we have ever had; it was about average.

You're just making excuses.

I saw on the internet where the New England states are trying to drive up enployment and are paying part timers to spray paint the leaves.

You're just making excuses.

I saw on the internet where the New England states are trying to drive up enployment and are paying part timers to spray paint the leaves.
Just a rumor. There aren't enough people in the Western Hemisphere to paint that many leaves each year. However, if you want to volunteer...

And besides, as a person of the pastoral persuasion (a Clerical-American?), you of all people should know full well who the Real Artist is.

And besides, as a person of the pastoral persuasion (a Clerical-American?), you of all people should know full well who the Real Artist is.

I thought "clerical-americans" were typists...

Course I guess "pastoral-americans" are sheep-herders... :wink:

How about "preacher-americans"... LOL:)

Later! OL JR :)

I thought "clerical-americans" were typists...

Course I guess "pastoral-americans" are sheep-herders... :wink:

How about "preacher-americans"... LOL:)

Later! OL JR :)

Sadly, the correct descriptor at present is "Unemployed American"

I'm still waiting for the phone call from the Curia in Rome. Then I'm going to invite everyone on TRF to the big Spaghetti Dinner and Rocket Launch.

It's too late to be John the First. I'll have to settle for John the Worst.

I try to spend as much time in the Northern woods as possible ,and noticed this year and last were superb for brilliant Autumn foliage.

There`s nothing like canoeing on a quiet lake or walking the forest trail in search of Ruffed grouse during Autumn.Such a treat for thec eyes and soul !

From where I live ,an hours drive North or East and I`m in the middle of it.....and a half hour drive South and it`s flat ,wide open prairie ,great for launching high power ,section after section of farm land.

Very nice video Mark ,I loved to watch that !!

Paul T

A link to the video was posted on our local public radio's web site, and so I thought that I would share it here. This kind of scenery is visible in every direction where I live as soon as one steps outside, but after residing here for so long I, like most folks in the area, don't really notice it all that often anymore. It's nice to be reminded every now and then that despite all of the economic problems that all of us are still struggling with in this great land, there are treasures that we hold in common that are simply valuable beyond measure.

Back