Setting up a launch controller. I'm TRA only.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolarYellow

Basket of deployables.
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a TRA member, not NAR. Will probably end up being both, but just TRA for now. The Safe Distance Table has a 50-ft minimum for A-G motors and total installed impulse up to 160 N-sec.

So if I'm going to follow the TRA Safety Code when launching my LPR stuff away from an official launch, I need a launch controller with at least a 50-ft cord. At least that's how I'm reading it. I have a PSII controller, but it doesn't even come close to covering that.

I'm thinking I would replace all the wires inside it with heavier stuff and have a 16/2 extension cord female pigtail coming out of it. Then I would just use a 50-ft 16/2 extension cord with the micro clips attached to the wires on the other end. An alternative would be to cut a short 16/2 cord and use it for the pigtail and micro clip end, and just insert an unmodified, 50-ft, 16/2 extension cord between them. If I used a 6-ft cord to wire up the controller and micro clip end, I could also just insert a 25-ft extension cord and launch under NAR rules down the road, if I preferred to travel a little lighter. I could also make up a clip whip lead to plug into the end of the long cord for doing clusters. I've seen several threads on the 16/2 extension cord idea and discussion about which ones are good and good value.

Does anyone see any issues with this approach? Am I making things too difficult?

https://www.nar.org/safety-information/model-rocket-safety-code/

15 foot wires for A through D motors, 30 foot wires for E, F, G motors.

Also, check the launch site dimensions vs the table at the bottom of the page.

I thought this is from NFPA, which both NAR and TRA follow.

50 foot wires won't hurt, and these days I find models easier to track when I stand further away.

I'm specifically looking at the TRA safety code, not the NAR code.

1 General Conditions
1-1 Scope
1-1.1This code shall govern the actions of Tripoli members at any launch.
1-1.2This code shall govern the actions of all people at a Tripoli Launch.
1-1.3This code does not relieve a member or a Prefecture of any legal obligations established by stricter regulations adopted by an AHJ.

So "any launch" would be me going out and launching in a safe and legal location without satisfying the definitions of "Tripoli Launch:"

Tripoli Launch: A Tripoli Launch is one which complies with all of the following requirements:

1. The Launch Director and RSO are members of Tripoli in good standing who are Certified L2 or higher.
  2. Follows the Tripoli Safety Code.
  3. Complies with all AHJ requirements, such as FAA waiver, BLM rules, etc.
  4. Landowner permission has been formally established, such as the Landowner Authorization Form or similar.

12 Model Rocket Rules
12-1A Model Rocket may not be launched more than 30° from vertical.
12-2Only Model Rocket Motors shall be flown from the Model Rocket Launch Area. Model Rocket Motors may be flown from the High Power Launch Area.
12-3The minimum distance to Range Personnel when Model Rockets are launched shall be 30 feet.
12-4The minimum distance to any Spectator when Model Rockets are launched shall be 50 feet.
Model Rocket: Also referred to as a Class 1 rocket by FAR 101.22, a Model Rocket is an Amateur Rocket that:

1. Uses no more than 125 grams (4.4 ounces) of propellant;
  2. Uses a slow-burning propellant;
  3. Is made of paper, wood, or breakable plastic;
  4. Contains no substantial metal parts; and
  5. Weighs no more than 1,500 grams (53 ounces), including the propellant.

So this says Range Personnel are OK at 30 ft. However, there's also the Safe Distance Table:

13-12All High Power Rockets shall be flown from the distances set forth in the Safe Distance Table.
1693360578967.png

That is under the section for High Power/Class 3, but it includes A-G impulse, which is not High Power/Class 3. It also differentiates HP motors in the A-G impulse range. So it would appear that this table requires 50 ft. to range personnel for Model Rockets.

Maybe @Steve Shannon could drop in an explain what I'm too stupid to understand about reconciling these two different sections of the code?

I'm specifically looking at the TRA safety code, not the NAR code.

So "any launch" would be me going out and launching in a safe and legal location without satisfying the definitions of "Tripoli Launch:"

So this says Range Personnel are OK at 30 ft. However, there's also the Safe Distance Table:

View attachment 600939

That is under the section for High Power/Class 3, but it includes A-G impulse, which is not High Power/Class 3. It also differentiates HP motors in the A-G impulse range. So it would appear that this table requires 50 ft. to range personnel for Model Rockets.

Maybe @Steve Shannon could drop in an explain what I'm too stupid to understand about reconciling these two different sections of the code?
As Kuririn said, Range personnel (such as the LCO or person pushing the launch button) are okay at 30 feet for model rockets.
For convenience we included the safe distance for spectators (50 feet) of model rockets to the safe distance table. We actually had a version that didn’t include that one line.
But as noted the required distance to range personnel is 30 feet.
Also, relative to CLS’s comment: Tripoli is more conservative than NFPA 1122 for A-E motors.

Last edited:
I'm a TRA member, not NAR. Will probably end up being both, but just TRA for now. The Safe Distance Table has a 50-ft minimum for A-G motors and total installed impulse up to 160 N-sec.

So if I'm going to follow the TRA Safety Code when launching my LPR stuff away from an official launch, I need a launch controller with at least a 50-ft cord. At least that's how I'm reading it. I have a PSII controller, but it doesn't even come close to covering that.

I'm thinking I would replace all the wires inside it with heavier stuff and have a 16/2 extension cord female pigtail coming out of it. Then I would just use a 50-ft 16/2 extension cord with the micro clips attached to the wires on the other end. An alternative would be to cut a short 16/2 cord and use it for the pigtail and micro clip end, and just insert an unmodified, 50-ft, 16/2 extension cord between them. If I used a 6-ft cord to wire up the controller and micro clip end, I could also just insert a 25-ft extension cord and launch under NAR rules down the road, if I preferred to travel a little lighter. I could also make up a clip whip lead to plug into the end of the long cord for doing clusters. I've seen several threads on the 16/2 extension cord idea and discussion about which ones are good and good value.

Does anyone see any issues with this approach? Am I making things too difficult?
Thats exactly what i did.

Back