When is the Starship orbital launch?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Booster stage is set to sink in the Gulf of Mexico this time around. SpaceX has a plan to sink it on purpose if it doesn't sink by itself. The Starship I believe they are going to attempt recovery (verify the protective tiles, payload door, etc.) but the Indian Ocean is a pretty big place and it could wander off course to just about anywhere.
I'm surprised that they wouldn't want to retrieve the booster. It shouldn't be that hard to find. I would think it could supply useful info, maybe even reusable parts.

Hans.

I'm surprised that they wouldn't want to retrieve the booster. It shouldn't be that hard to find. I would think it could supply useful info, maybe even reusable parts.

Hans.
They may not be to that point in their development process. Get the thing flying right first THEN start trying to recover them.

Since it looks like they have 3 or 4 later versions being manufactured, they might not have the needed room!

Diego Garcia is still an active base, I think? You could fly an airborne camera platform from there.

The modern world has made me more suspicious than I used to be, my concern here is "sink it, or some bad actor will tow it away". Hell of a PR stunt and one way to get around ITAR.

Diego Garcia is still an active base, I think? You could fly an airborne camera platform from there.

The modern world has made me more suspicious than I used to be, my concern here is "sink it, or some bad actor will tow it away". Hell of a PR stunt and one way to get around ITAR.
Would the flight termination system blow the tanks open enough for them to sink?

I'm sure FTS would do the job of making it sink. On most flights you hear a callout of 'FTS safed' somewhere along the way, perhaps they will keep it active all the way down this time?

Also, and this is just me guessing, maybe they could belly-flop it into the water instead of slowing it down. I suppose this would smash it pretty good but that would skip an important milestone and I doubt they intend to do this.

I doubt SpaceX is cool with leaving their intellectual property laying around on or under the water.

Not related but reminded my of BC.

View attachment 634896
If it's deep water, it's probably no more useful to competitors than a trade show if it sinks. I agree if it stays floating.

There's no way they can leave it floating though--they'd run afoul of every coast guard in the region upset about hazards to navigation. While Musk may be willing to ignore government agencies that can shut him down, Shotwell won't.

The middle one reminds me of the grape juice bottles in Prohibition that told you very specifically how to turn the grape juice into wine and that you definitely should not do that.

If it's deep water, it's probably no more useful to competitors than a trade show if it sinks. I agree if it stays floating.

There's no way they can leave it floating though--they'd run afoul of every coast guard in the region upset about hazards to navigation. While Musk may be willing to ignore government agencies that can shut him down, Shotwell won't.

The middle one reminds me of the grape juice bottles in Prohibition that told you very specifically how to turn the grape juice into wine and that you definitely should not do that.
Juice was hard to transport at the time. Bricks of sugared concentrate would, though>
1710170094322.png

Looks like with or without the FAA the weather will keep this grounded for something like a week. Storms a brewin'...

Looks like with or without the FAA the weather will keep this grounded for something like a week. Storms a brewin'...
??? Not sure about that. Brownsville weather appears to be OK at 8:00 am (76°, 92% humidity, 58% cloud cover, 13mph wind) not ideal but otherwise the storms are happening Sunday and into the following week. They could move the launch time up 1 hour to be safe from the increasing wind that day.

I was curious about the chase plane they use for the IFTs. NASA apparently has 3 of them - "WB-57F - JSC". JSC means Johnston Space Centre. They are the last remaining planes of this model. The air-frames for these planes date back to 1970ish. But the design goes all the way back to 1950 when the US was looking for a bomber for use in Korea. The design they choose was the "English Electric Canberra" but later built in the US by General Dynamics (also the UK and Australia). It was too late for the Korean War but saw a lot of use during Vietnam and later as a reconnaissance and electronic warfare plane. It set an altitude record back in 1957 at 70,310'. Its high altitude capabilities (60,000' +) made it suitable for NASA for high-altitude atmospheric research. They carry a special nose-mounted imaging system and were previously used to monitor the space shuttle.
NASA_WB-57F_(NASA_928)_with_WB-57_Ascent_Video_Experiment.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin/General_Dynamics_RB-57F_Canberra

Gives a new meaning to “box wine”. I bet the quality was on a par with prison pruno or something brewed up on a dry ship by desperate sailors. Maybe they will make something similar on a trip to Mars.
It had a reputation much as you suggest. Partly because the grapes used have a really rich color - but were crap for wine otherwise.

The third flight test of Starship is targeted to launch Thursday, March 14. The 110-minute test window opens at 7:00 a.m. CT.
A live webcast of the flight test will begin about 30 minutes before liftoff, which you can watch here (SpaceX.com) and on X @SpaceX. As is the case with all developmental testing, the schedule is dynamic and likely to change, so be sure to stay tuned to our X account for updates.

Presumably the FAA flight license will be issued today... which is really cutting it close.

Edit:
1710374486109.png
1710374437274.png

Last edited:
I expect others including but not limited to SpaceflightNow.com and Everyday Astronaut and WhatAboutIt will all have coverage/commentary. If SpaceX streams on YouTube (unlike for recent Falcon-9 launches) it will be hard to choose a stream or streams tomorrow morning....

They are also trying to squeeze in a Starlink launch from LC-39A in Florida in a couple of hours. Another Falcon-9 to go up for its 19th flight.

Back