When is the Starship orbital launch?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a amazing video of the launch go to YouTube, Every day Astronaut, 4k with unbelievable audio of the Starship 3 launch with slow-mo. Turn up the audio engage the subwoofers and it's as close as you can get to the actual launch without being on the SpaceX property .

For a amazing video of the launch go to YouTube, Every day Astronaut, 4k with unbelievable audio of the Starship 3 launch with slow-mo. Turn up the audio engage the subwoofers and it's as close as you can get to the actual launch without being on the SpaceX property .
Wow, that was great footage. But it was really disappointing to see all those tripods get blown over. You'd think by now they'd figure out they need to either need to be staked down with re-bar stakes or have a tripod head in a 5 gallon bucket filled with cement. It's not rocket science!

Tony

Wow, that was great footage. But it was really disappointing to see all those tripods get blown over. You'd think by now they'd figure out they need to either need to be staked down with re-bar stakes or have a tripod head in a 5 gallon bucket filled with cement. It's not rocket science!

Tony
Surely you mean Brain Surgery. :)

They also mentioned that they will be using Raptor 3 engines for the first time which provides an additional 17% more power. I would expect the flight profile to be slightly different with that much power. The early May timeline is just a target date, something to strive for, IMHO. I don't think it is realistic to complete the mishap investigation and get approval in time for that. However, SpaceX itself could be ready to launch IFT-4 by then.

One suspicion was that the Starship had a frozen over nose thruster which lead to issues with attitude control and frozen material being ejected which impacted and dislodged heat tiles. 2ndly, in the video where the booster came down through a high wind shear zone, it was apparent that they had lots of problems trying to maintain flight control. There was apparently even less damage to Stage 0 launch tower than the previous launch although they quickly had scaffolding in place and workers were busy examining various parts of the tower including the quick disconnect. Shotwell mentioned that they are not going to attempt satellite launches from the pez dispenser - at least not on this flight.

They are apparently preparing to expand southward (W-SW of current tower) to build the 2nd launch tower at the complex. I was watching video of geotech contractor/engineers installing prefabricated vertical drains (PVDs) in this area to "wick" water out of the marshy area to establish a foundation. As well there was video of prepping the lower sections of the 2nd tower and video of ongoing construction of the Starship factory.

Last edited:
Ship 29 is doing a second static fire today - I think this has never been done before? I wonder why.
The first was a 6 engine fire. They also wanted to test a single engine fire for re-obrbit burn as they were unable to do it on IFT-3. This is to simulate the restart of one engine in space.

Last edited:
This link is to Elon Musk's latest visionary commentary and short term timelines to get there. Musk has this stuttering haltering speech that at times is very difficult to listen to - lets just say, he is no Steve Jobs in eloquence who inspired a mindless cult like devotion. But he has captured the people's imagination for the journey to Mars. There are some great nuggets of information in his speech.

Back