When is the Starship orbital launch?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kind of hate that the official feed is on X or space.com. I like to watch the feeds on my big screen tv, and the easiest way is the YouTube app. Everyday Astronaut is fun, because he expresses everything I’m feeling as I watch, but sometimes there are glitches at crucial moments. I’ll probably watch him and risk a glitch, but who else has a good, more reliable live feed with good camera angles and decent commentary?

EDIT: I guess I can have space.com going on my iPad in case of glitches with whatever stream goes on the big screen.

About 30 minutes to go. Arrived at work early so I wouldn't be in the car when it happened. FYI, They are going to soft land the booster in the ocean and then presumably, sink it -- and the upper stage (starship), is going to belly-flop into the Indian Ocean where it will (also presumably) break up when it hits the water. So NOTHING is being recovered. I guess they just want sensor data and nothing else.

Spaceflight Now, What About It (Felix Schlang), Everyday Astronaut and Ellie in Space are all up and streaming. I'm currently on the WAI stream. With a T-0 of 8:25 central they are now 85 minutes into the 110 minute launch window. Felix is also reporting that he thinks propellant loading has begun. Current issue appears to be winds.

added: SpaceX has tweeted that propellant loads are underway for both the ship and the booster.

Last edited:
Looks like only one engine lit out of three for the landing burn, according to the graphic.
But the hot staging went much smoother this time.
Looking at the video of the Starship after shutdown it appears there is some serious venting going on.
Wonder if that is nominal?

While we wait for reentry, here's some pics:
Ignition
2024-03-14 (1).png

Liftoff
2024-03-14 (5).png

33 burning
2024-03-14 (10).png

Hot staging-
2024-03-14 (15).png

Controlled ascent: check
Hot staging: check
Controlled booster descent: Partial check
Propellant transfer: check
Payload door: check

The grid fin rotation looked jerky, as if the pivot was binding.
If it ran out of fuel and had asymmetric thrust, it was probably outside range the grid fins could deal with.. otherwise the PID Algorithm tuning probably needs adjustment air density where it went crazy.

Back