When is the Starship orbital launch?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's another thing to consider... the FAA has no "rocket scientists" of their own. They can consult with other engineers, but most of the time, it comes down to trusting that the mishap report is accurate. It's really all CYA theater.

Here's another thing to consider... the FAA has no "rocket scientists" of their own. They can consult with other engineers, but most of the time, it comes down to trusting that the mishap report is accurate. It's really all CYA theater.
It’s like putting them in timeout and telling them to think about what they did. (Is that a good analogy, it’s a bit weird)

It’s like putting them in timeout and telling them to think about what they did. (Is that a good analogy, it’s a bit weird)
It's not the worst analogy in the world. :D Seriously, it's actually fairly accurate.

Things will get weird when there are significant numbers of people taking flights on rockets and FAA starts having to treat it like commercial aviation.

It's not the worst analogy in the world. :D Seriously, it's actually fairly accurate.

Things will get weird when there are significant numbers of people taking flights on rockets and FAA starts having to treat it like commercial aviation.
Yup space flight control will be a thing soon.

I want to be the vendor for Depends in the concourse of the Spaceport for those boarding the Starship. I can just imagine how smelly the cabin will be when those 33 motors light up.

Hans.
I dunno--the full stack weighs 5000 t and the max thrust is 7500 tf, so acceleration should only be around 1.5G. If people aren't filling their shorts on roller coasters, Starship should be OK.

I dunno--the full stack weighs 5000 t and the max thrust is 7500 tf, so acceleration should only be around 1.5G. If people aren't filling their shorts on roller coasters, Starship should be OK.
I seem to remember it was the X-15 that test pilots couldn't wait for the motors to cut off. Initial startup wasn't so bad, but as the fuel load was burned the same thrust produced much more acceleration. Towards the end of the burn forces were quite uncomfortable. They really appreciated the relief at shutdown.

I seem to remember it was the X-15 that test pilots couldn't wait for the motors to cut off. Initial startup wasn't so bad, but as the fuel load was burned the same thrust produced much more acceleration. Towards the end of the burn forces were quite uncomfortable. They really appreciated the relief at shutdown.
That said, presumably they can throttle back to keep things reasonably comfortable for the passengers. Though if Starship rides become reasonably accessible (say $10K-20K/person to orbit), I wonder if they'll have "normal" rides at 1.5-2G and "hardcore" rides at 2-3G for people who want a little more thrill in their lives.

That said, presumably they can throttle back to keep things reasonably comfortable for the passengers. Though if Starship rides become reasonably accessible (say $10K-20K/person to orbit), I wonder if they'll have "normal" rides at 1.5-2G and "hardcore" rides at 2-3G for people who want a little more thrill in their lives.
I’d be on the 3G ride for sure!

Raptors can throttle down to 40%, and they can always turn off some of the cluster to reduce thrust. Of course you pay the penalty with gravity loss, the amount of energy required to lift the fuel to the altitude it is burned at.

Raptors can throttle down to 40%, and they can always turn off some of the cluster to reduce thrust. Of course you pay the penalty with gravity loss, the amount of energy required to lift the fuel to the altitude it is burned at.
So they can throttle down to ~3000 tf from 7500tf max thrust. Since the weight of the full stack at staging is around 1500t, they'd end up around 2G without shutting down any engines if Starship is at maximum GVW. IIRC on the test flights the main engines ran until almost up to staging, then they shut engines down in sequence until a relatively small number (3? 6?) were still running at staging.

Of course, passengers to orbit will be a relatively light load compared to the full payload, so it won't all be at the full stack weight. Given that this is a relatively simple fuel/weight/acceleration budget, it'll be straightforward to figure out once they have the harder issues ironed out.

Next question, where did you get a jet? If you bought a ride wouldn’t they have gotten you a G-suite?
Was a 50th birthday present from my wife. Pay the money and get a ride. Of the 20 minute flight I had stick for about 11 minutes on the L-39. When I learned that the pilot didn't mind if I did aerobatics I just went for it and threw the plane around fairly well. The 4.2G was at the bottom of a loop. Seriously good fun, at about $100 per minute.

No G-suit needed at those levels. Can be mainly controlled by tensing muscles, but still uncomfortable at that level.

Was a 50th birthday present from my wife. Pay the money and get a ride. Of the 20 minute flight I had stick for about 11 minutes on the L-39. When I learned that the pilot didn't mind if I did aerobatics I just went for it and threw the plane around fairly well. The 4.2G was at the bottom of a loop. Seriously good fun, at about $100 per minute.

No G-suit needed at those levels. Can be mainly controlled by tensing muscles, but still uncomfortable at that level.

20 mins times $100 means $2,000 ! not a bad price

Yes, the FAA has completed/accepted the incident report. SpaceX is probably a month away from IFT3 (just a guess), but I notice they had some aborts when performing firing tests of the booster, so, I'm assuming they have a few things that need fixing before they can launch. But, while the FAA is happy with the incident report, they haven't issued any launch license, and when they do, SpaceX still has some things to straighten out before they can declare they are ready.

Yes, the FAA has completed/accepted the incident report. SpaceX is probably a month away from IFT3 (just a guess), but I notice they had some aborts when performing firing tests of the booster, so, I'm assuming they have a few things that need fixing before they can launch. But, while the FAA is happy with the incident report, they haven't issued any launch license, and when they do, SpaceX still has some things to straighten out before they can declare they are ready.
A month? Actually, I think they will be ready to fly in about 2 weeks, maybe 3 at the most. I think they are further along in their changes than hinted at in the FAA report just like they were with IFT-2.

Starship Hot-Staging: More Complex Than You Think
https://youtu.be/ZIisBG3NV8Y

If you are time limited then look at the 2nd half:
https://youtu.be/ZIisBG3NV8Y?t=2520

Really good discussion showing what the internals of the tanks look like and the physics involved in the whole situation. Some really nice simulation renders too. Well worth a look :)

I saw this a few minutes ago: GO for next Thursday (i.e. Pi Day = March 14)??? I haven't seen a confirmation of this on other sites yet. This is subject to change as we yet to see multiple signs of a imminent flight like road closures, NOTAMS (Notice to Air Missions), NOTMARS (Notice to Mariners), flight restriction notices, NASA chase vehicle notice, and of course the modified flight license. I also suspect that the flight license application is for IFT-3 and IFT-4 to happen in quick succession (i.e. less than a month apart).

1709711705762.jpeg

Last edited:
Here is a link to the SpaceX mission page: https://www.spacex.com/launches/mission/?missionId=starship-flight-3
Note that several major events are to occur during the flight: re-entry and soft splash down of the booster, testing the payload door, propellant transfer from the header tank, and relight of the raptor engines. Soft splash down attempt of the Starship is also assumed but into the Indian Ocean not Hawaii. That's a really aggressive flight test agenda.

Flight Test Timeline
All times are approximate

Hr/Min/Sec Event
00:00:02 Liftoff
00:00:52 Max Q (moment of peak mechanical stress on the rocket)
00:02:42 Booster MECO (most engines cut off)
00:02:44 Hot-staging (Starship Raptor ignition and stage separation)
00:02:55 Booster boostback burn startup
00:03:50 Booster boostback burn shutdown
00:06:36 Booster is transonic
00:06:46 Booster landing burn startup
00:07:04 Booster landing burn shutdown
00:08:35 Starship engine cutoff
00:11:56 Payload door open
00:24:31 Propellant transfer demo
00:40:46 Raptor in-space relight demo
00:49:05 Starship entry
01:02:16 Starship is transonic
01:03:04 Starship is subsonic
01:04:39 An exciting landing!
1709751064525.png

Last edited:
Here is a link to the SpaceX mission page: https://www.spacex.com/launches/mission/?missionId=starship-flight-3
Note that several major events are to occur during the flight: re-entry and soft splash down of the booster, testing the payload door, propellant transfer from the header tank, and relight of the raptor engines. Soft splash down attempt of the Starship is also assumed. That's a really aggressive flight test.

Flight Test Timeline
All times are approximate

Hr/Min/Sec Event
00:00:02 Liftoff
00:00:52 Max Q (moment of peak mechanical stress on the rocket)
00:02:42 Booster MECO (most engines cut off)
00:02:44 Hot-staging (Starship Raptor ignition and stage separation)
00:02:55 Booster boostback burn startup
00:03:50 Booster boostback burn shutdown
00:06:36 Booster is transonic
00:06:46 Booster landing burn startup
00:07:04 Booster landing burn shutdown
00:08:35 Starship engine cutoff
00:11:56 Payload door open
00:24:31 Propellant transfer demo
00:40:46 Raptor in-space relight demo
00:49:05 Starship entry
01:02:16 Starship is transonic
01:03:04 Starship is subsonic