When is the Starship orbital launch?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why does that concern you so much? It is really that important?
Jeeze people! I believe it's a 15 degree range from center in any direction. But that's me remembering what I heard in a youtube video -- not me actually checking facts. But close enough for this conversation, and perhaps that'll quiet down the children.

If the problem is that the thrust from the ship during hot staging caused a moment of zero or negative g for the booster, resulting in the booster fuel sloshing, then that sounds like a very solvable problem. It doesn’t sound like something that would require big changes to the hardware. It sounds more like an issue that could be solved by the sequence and timing of events during staging — basically, more thrust on the booster, less thrust on the ship, gentler staging to keep the booster fuel where it needs to be. Maybe that would require some changes to the protection at the top of the booster, but maybe not. Either way, this sounds like it is probably a relatively easy thing to deal with.

1 did you just see the explosion of the ring?
2 all the people that were on that project are now old and dead or retired and probably on this forum and unable to help spaceX
1. Yes, the thrusting second stage blew it apart as it separated, once it lost the structural support that came with being attached to the second stage. It's not a malfunction. Even SpaceX seems to acknowledge this is inevitable as the interstage rings are expected to be single use.

2. SpaceX doesn't need help with it. It worked perfectly the first time. Hot staging is actually simpler than cold staging, because the whole point is that you don't need an ullage system to slam your free-falling propellant into the back of the tanks when you light your second stage. This is why the Russians do it. The only complication is that SpaceX wants to eventually reuse that first stage after firing the second stage directly into it, which those old-time engineers do not have experience with.

3. Proper capitalization and punctuation are your friends.

Ps they are easy… once you watch enough Linus tec tips
Linux pretty much self-installs and self-configures these days. Easy peasy.
Not like the early 1990's when all you had was slackware which you pretty much had to compile yourself and spend a week getting it configured for your hardware.
And that was on a wicked-fast 486 with 8 megabytes of RAM. Woot!

Not like the early 1990's when all you had was slackware which you pretty much had to compile yourself and spend a week getting it configured for your hardware.
Linus Tech Tips spend most of its time talking about PC builds and consumer tech hardware, not Linux.

@kjhambrick is a Slackware user to this day. I last daily drove it about five years ago but keep thinking of adding a boot environment for it to my current machine (dual boot of Bookworm and Tumbleweed).

There's something about Slackware that gets down in your blood. If you've ever installed Slackware and got all your hardware and modern software running, you know your hardware, you know your software, and you know Linux.

Edit to add: Holy thread-drift, Batman. Just realized this was the Starship thread, not some computer thread I'd subbed to long ago. 🤣

@kjhambrick is a Slackware user to this day. I last daily drove it about five years ago but keep thinking of adding a boot environment for it to my current machine (dual boot of Bookworm and Tumbleweed).

There's something about Slackware that gets down in your blood. If you've ever installed Slackware and got all your hardware and modern software running, you know your hardware, you know your software, and you know Linux.

Edit to add: Holy thread-drift, Batman. Just realized this was the Starship thread, not some computer thread I'd subbed to long ago. 🤣
:)

Mornin' folks-

About the booster & header tanks: I've seen some drawings online that show the booster DOES have... uhh... "headers" but they're not up at the head - they're down at the bottom just above the engines.

Sadly, today's coffee has not imbued me with a degree in fluidics. Need to think on this a bit ☕

Mornin' folks-

About the booster & header tanks: I've seen some drawings online that show the booster DOES have... uhh... "headers" but they're not up at the head - they're down at the bottom just above the engines.

Sadly, today's coffee has not imbued me with a degree in fluidics. Need to think on this a bit ☕

Maybe excessive sloshing is interfering with the flow of caffeine into your nervous system feed lines. Maybe you should install a “head tank” in your cranium.

Long ago I had the idea to market a coffee cup with a hypodermic needle sticking out of the bottom. Just slap it up on your shoulder and presto you've got both hands free to work!

For fancy occasions, wear two like epaulets.

Signed,
Not a doctor

Long ago I had the idea to market a coffee cup with a hypodermic needle sticking out of the bottom. Just slap it up on your shoulder and presto you've got both hands free to work!

Signed,
Not a doctor
Would it possibly be easier to just put some caffeine in a IV bag?

Signed,
Not a doctor

Directly injecting coffee into your bloodstream is one of the “seven danger signs”. It’s just a step or two away from free-basing Folger’s Crystals. Don’t throw your life away!

Last edited:
I don't think it can be chilldown, try these on:

1) This leak existed before the tower was cleared.
2) Falcon 9 starts 2nd stage chilldown way up in the air.
3) This leak was absolutely from the location of the quick disconnect.
4) I freely admit ignorance here, but how could you even arrange plumbing to exhaust waste chilldown gas out the side of the ship? Doesn't chilldown gas by it's very definition have to escape via the nozzle?

I think all 2nd stage chilldown waste will exit via the slots in the hot staging ring - not via a pipe out the side.

I am not clear on how much of the engine actually gets chilled, I always thought it was the whole thing including the combustion chamber?

I am not clear on how much of the engine actually gets chilled, I always thought it was the whole thing including the combustion chamber?
Everything is different engine to engine design, but the chilldown is usually only the turbo, machinery.

That is what will have the cryogenic liquid going thru it and you want to control "temperature shock" to them. (Rotating shafts, and turbine wheels at CRAZY HIGH RPMs) The combustion chamber and nozzle actually you don't want to cool down as that would make the Delta-T to operating temp even greater.

Back