When is the Starship orbital launch?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2nd attempt to launch tomorrow 4/20 @ 9:48 AM EST (double-checked 👍). Big chance for a scrub. Big chance for one of SpaceX's best RUD ever! 😂 I'm sure Elon wants to launch on 4/20! 🚬 😂

Did they say why they're not gonna attempt to use Mechazilla to catch the booster? Why not Try? Maybe make sure it works first, Then try to catch it?

2nd attempt to launch tomorrow 4/20 @ 9:48 AM EST (double-checked 👍). Big chance for a scrub. Big chance for one of SpaceX's best RUD ever! 😂 I'm sure Elon wants to launch on 4/20! 🚬 😂

Did they say why they're not gonna attempt to use Mechazilla to catch the booster? Why not Try? Maybe make sure it works first, Then try to catch it?
I'd guess they have to know how fast it can go when all the fuel is used. They need that data point. When they try a landing, they have to keep fuel in the tanks for the landing, so they'd never know the max speed.

The can't focus on everything at once. A major failure could destroy the launch pad.
Exactly. First flight is also a MAJOR test of the launch pad - Stage 0. Musk said that that if Stage 0 survives with minimal damage, that will be considered a mission success despite what the rocket flight incurs. They don't know what damage will happen to it and attempting to land on an untested launch pad is just plain suicidal which might result in additional damage. Same with the top stage landing in the water instead of being caught on the launch pad. Dropping both the booster (off Texas) and upper stage (off Hawaii) in shallow water for recovery later is a wise decision.

Lost a few engines on the way up...
Disappointing they didn't separate.

EverydayAstronaut hosts were 5 miles away and got covered in sand from the launch! Laptops, coffee 🤣
(hardly visible from the streaming video, except for their laptops' black keyboard looking dusty)

Booster lost at least 6 engines.

Talk about "SLOW LIFT-OFF". WOW...

It looked like it started the flip before it separated, then range control gave it time to get telemetry and system downloads, before they did terminate command.

It was definitely coning for a while after shutdown with only some engines still firing.

Back