When is the Starship orbital launch?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, it looked like a few engines failed on the way up, and then when it was supposed to separate, it did not, and the booster followed it's flight pattern to perform a flip, but the starship was still attached, so there were problems. This got worse as the booster started to run out of fuel (you can see it spinning, but almost no fire is coming out); and then it looks like they blew it up.

Still; it cleared the pad, and if the pad isn't destroyed by the launch, then it's a success.

Guessing that the air was thin enough that there weren't any significant aero loads... rotational forces eventually caught up with it.

Yeah, it looked like a few engines failed on the way up, and then when it was supposed to separate, it did not, and the booster followed it's flight pattern to perform a flip, but the starship was still attached, so there were problems. This got worse as the booster started to run out of fuel (you can see it spinning, but almost no fire is coming out); and then it looks like they blew it up.

Still; it cleared the pad, and if the pad isn't destroyed by the launch, then it's a success.
Damn copperhead igniters...

Guessing that the air was thin enough that there weren't any significant aero loads... rotational forces eventually caught up with it.
Negative. The flight termination system was activated. It was not a flight load that destroyed the vehicle.

"Flight termination" is code for "we ordered it self-destruct," right?
Yes.

Whoops. Well thats why its called a test flight. But the media will probably spin it as worst possible case, just awful, just 'cuz.
Elon had been setting low expectations for weeks, saying that as long as it didn't blow up on the pad, it's all good.

6 engines out and unbalanced. 2 appeared to blow at 30 seconds. Flight termination system activated at 4 minutes.

View attachment 576251
On the one video I watched at 30-32 seconds there was an lot of shrapnel that flew away from an engine and some fire from places it shouldn't have been.

Why this test was effing great:
#1) It didn't just blow up on the pad
#2) When the engines started firing, there was a long delay before it started moving, at first I though it was never going anywhere.
#3) Once it started moving, THEN I got excited.
#4) Not only did it clear the pad, it reached Max-Q
#5) Despite the failure of 6(?) engines, it still had enough impulse/thrust to keep going

If Starship had separated, we'd be watching the splashdown in Hawaii right now, so, halfway there as far as I am concerned.
Not bad for the first flight of such a heavy and complex machine.

Whoops. Well thats why its called a test flight. But the media will probably spin it as worst possible case, just awful, just 'cuz.
All things considered, the media coverage I've seen has fairly kind to SpaceX. They've done a good job with the messaging that they're doing rapid iteration on the hardware, and setting pretty clear goals for each test flight (thinking back to the Starship bellyflop and landing tests).

#2) When the engines started firing, there was a long delay before it started moving, at first I though it was never going anywhere.
#5) Despite the failure of 6(?) engines, it still had enough impulse/thrust to keep going
Judging by the diagram on the official livestream, it looks like 3 of them failed to light at the start. Might explain the slower liftoff. I think one of them lit shortly into flight, but another 4 failed throughout the flight.

I also had similar thoughts when it took so long to liftoff: "Oh no, please don't blow up on the pad!", and then was happy to see it moving and clear the tower. Then another concern when it looked like some damage and debris shortly after liftoff. But since it kept going, I thought maybe it was chunks of ice/frost or some kind of insulation I wasn't aware of. It would have been nice to have the flight continue further had the stages separated, but it was good to see it launch at all. I wasn't expecting only one round of no-go; I figured this launch would be scrubbed for some other issue, so that's impressive in itself.

Hi TRF colleagues,

Getting rocket-engine clusters to work is always difficult. Even a small number of engines. Isn't that so?

Stanley
Yes, you have acoustics issues where vibrations from one engine can interfere with the operation of another. I can only imagine how much of a nightmare this is on a vehicle with this many engines.

That said, getting engines on the scale of the F-1 to work, which would allow fewer engines, is also a nightmare, so pick your poison.

It will be interesting to see video showing the engines. For all 33 to function perfectly might amount to a statistical anomaly.
I was thinking the same thing and how the rocket is designed to work just fine as long as no more than X number of engines fail to start on liftoff.
SpaceX has already gotten 27 engines to work together reliably on the Falcon Heavy. Good engineering, testing, and best manufacturing practices get rocket engines to work, not blind luck.

There's some major repair work to be done on the launch mount before the next flight. No wonder there was so much debris flying everywhere at liftoff, look at the size of that crater!

View attachment 576261

It did occur to me that there doesn't appear to be any water deluge system at that launch pad...

Back